Tips for box build

Username: Pyro68

Post Number: 7
Okay i got everything i need to build my box. I am putting 1 15" re se in my trunk. Its gonna be about 4cf tuned to 34hz. anything i should know before building the box. i got 3/4" mdf, 2" drywall screws, caulk, and wood glue. any tips or things i should know would be appreciated. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4953
measure twice cut once

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4954
make sure you pre-drill as well so you dont split the wood

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20312
Use sharp tools/blades as dull ones will not only destroy themselves and your project but are a safety concern. Put the beer down until after you're done and get some help maneuvering large sheets around when cutting.

Keep it out of the pool.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6408
pre-drill/countersink every 4-6 inches but not within 2 inches of the end of the wood :-)

make sure the cuts are straight.. if they are you won't need caulk.. the woodglue itself will create a leakproof joint

Post Number: 8
thank for all the tips. also do you think i need to use a baffle for the sub mount. i got a 15" sub and im making the box 16.5" tall. so do you think i will need the extra support. also i think i have some threaded rod for bracing otherwise i will use some 2x2

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6420
you should be fine.. its only a single SE

Post Number: 9
okay i just wasnt sure cause the box is only 16.5" tall and the sub is 15" so theres not much room for it. and also its gonna have 940 watts which i think is okay for the RE se.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2638
I would turn it down a notch. I would just feed it 600-700. Should be plenty.

Post Number: 10
yeah i figured just keep the gain low and make sure its not distorted and i should be good. im pretty sure i will have plenty of bass. at least enough for me lol

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3066
940 wrms -- birthsheet? what amp?

the threaded rod will help the box flex issue, but I would use it though the front baffle only and plenty of internal bracing.. The threaded rod may be a lil overkill for this setup, but that isn't a bad thing. if the sub/threaded rod will be up firing, the you might wanna make a thin artificial floor and notch the wood where the threaded rod will stick out of bottom.
other considerations:
45's on corners internally.
Round the port edges internally.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1569
it wouldn't hurt to go over the box with some riberglass resin.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
im running a mtx thunder 942. have seen birthsheet of other ones but not mine and all have been underrated at 940rms. the box design is just from re audios box calculator so it is just an L-port. so do you still need to round these? and 45's on the corners what does that exactly mean. Like put a piece of wood in the corner to make a 45* angle instead of 90*?

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1572
yep that is what it means. u could also get some pvc pipe and cut then into 4ths and round off the corners. that usually works out better

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1451
like they said 4-6 inches apart, make sure u cut nice straight lines (saves work down the road) get a friend to come over and help. i would round off the port, just take some sand paper and round off the corner. and i dont forsee box flex since the sub will be so close to the other edges of the top and bottom, so that will actually brace it

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1547
pics and vidz of your hard work would be cool.

-4-6" for screws
-45 degree angles
-dredrill the holes
-dont be shady on the woodglue
-if your not using a terminal, drill a small hole for the wire, put a knott in the wire on the INSIDE of the box, and seal it with silicon or caulk

should turn out good! cant wait for the build log!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
so got everything built. i think everything turned out good. not sure if im gonna carpet or anything but im just glad to hear my new sub. only thing is that i cant fit it in my trunk yet. it will fit inside but getting it in is the problem so now its just in my backseat. here are some pics
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/automaggot/04-28-09_1853.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/automaggot/04-28-09_2037.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/automaggot/04-28-09_2036.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/automaggot/04-28-09_2139.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/automaggot/04-28-09_2143.jpg[/IMG]

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
finally got it to fit in the trunk. had to take a chunk out of it to make it fit but its all good now. and wow does this thing thump. thanks to everyone who helped

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1648
what did u use to cut it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
metal cut off wheel on a skill saw. but the panels cover it up so you cant even see. and i dont have to worry about this sub getting stolen cause there is no way to get it out

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1649
its hard to tell but it didn't look like the cuts were to smooth for the panels, be sure and go over the inside edges with some riberglass resin jelly!
its lookin good!

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1650
its hard to tell but it didn't look like the cuts were to smooth for the panels, be sure and go over the inside edges with some riberglass resin jelly!
its lookin good!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
oh for the panels we just used a normal blade on the saw. but we did silicone caulk the inside of the box very generously
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us