Glasswolf, opinion, sub in console?

Anonymous

I have a truck and plan on making a custom enclosure for my sub (12" ID Max v3 running off a JL 1000/1) in the console of the truck, with the sub firing towards the front of the cab. The enclosure would be made of 1" MDF to the correct volume (I have a huge console area, correct volume isn't a problem, I also have plenty of room to clear the heater and other things) and a lot of dynamat covering it to dampen vibrations to the console, and the outside of the actual console will be fiberglass. Has anyone had a sub in this location and had good results? I'm thinking the imaging will be good due to the sub being in front instead of behind the seat, plus it gives me room behind the seat as the only thing back there will be the amps on a custom amp rack. Any possible issues? By the way, my components are going to be Diamond HEX series and will be mounted in kick panels, if that changes anything, and I will have additional tweeters up high (attenuated) to raise the soundstage. The components are running off a JL 300/2, with the tweeters running off the head unit.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3410
3/4" MDF is sufficient, and it works fine. It's been done many times.
Imaging isn't really an issue for a sub, but you want it aimed for best resonance.
Keep in mind you'll need to mess with phase shift depending on which way you point that sub for ideal output. This is vital with the sub being so close to you where it'll be.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 257
That sound awesome, post some picture when your done.

Anonymous

So with the phase shift, will 180 degrees be ok, or will I need a more fine tune? I have 180 built in to the head unit.

Anonymous

Oh, the sub is firing towards the front, about the phase.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3422
you'll need to see what sounds best to you.
it should be obvious the first time you hear it.

Anonymous

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it sounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us