Amp level?

Bronze Member
Username: Craudi0

Post Number: 58
i used to have a kicker zx750.1 which just had the gain knob so that as you turned it clockwise it turned up the output or whatever. my amp now is a hifonics bxi1206d. the gain goes from 9volts to .2 volts..... how do i know where to set the gain? is it the same as the kicker amp?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20241

Bronze Member
Username: Atreidies

Houston, TX

Post Number: 42
If you don't have a multi-meter, or just want to be lazy, you can do what I do. Turn your gain all the way down. Turn your HU volume up to the highest volume you will listen to it at, but not all the way up. Then turn your amp gain up to where the subs don't get louder. Play with it a little around that area to get the best sound. If it sounds like crap, your amp is clipping and you don't want that, so turn the gain down some. Then turn the HU volume up and down to make sure the sub volume goes up and down with it. All your "gain" is, is an input sensitivity adjustment. If it's too high, your amp will hit max output at low volume, then sound like crap (clipping) at high volume. Set right, it will be a good mix of subs and components no matter what volume. Hope that helps.
BTW, good post Paul. Lots of good info in those vids.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20242
A lot of ppl set their gains by ear. I used to I admit it. Back in my day a DMM cost $125 lol. Today it's a little more simpler/accurate.

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 46
Sorry to highjack, but I got a question for you Paul..
Terminal volts X 10 gives you the wattage? And do you just set the wattage to rated RMS?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3724
Upload

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 51
Right, so he was running 10 amps current? Where would i measure my amp draw? Power to ground?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us