Extra power needed??

Bronze Member
Username: Godemiche

Post Number: 32
a CompVR 12'' rms is about 400 watts...

I"m running 200 to it now,,, Would I really see much of a difference by increasing the power to 300-400 watts??

Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 5
Underpowering subs is the #1 way of blowing them. When you force the amp to continuously drive its full current, you are likely to get long spikes of DC power -- which is not good for an AC device (like a speaker).

I'm sure you've noticed distortion and *probably* some sustained thump that's not supposed to happen.

Always drive for having 10-20% over a speakers' RMS rating. You'll have much more crisp bass hits and sounds that actually match the music.

-Matt

Unregistered guest
Ok, I've heard that you can elliminate distortion (at higher volume levels) from a head unit that powers the speakers off it's internal amplifier circuitry by installing an amplifier (connected to the head unit's pre-amps, of course). Is this true? Something about the fact that the amps power is "cleaner" at the same(or higher) power level.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 140
Yes you would especially if you have a ported box.

Username: The_wiz

Rochester, NY

Post Number: 2
Well, not sure exactly what a "ported box" is (I assume it is an enclosure for the speakers with some type of vent/port??) - but thanks for the answer davids2004. (look - I registered!) =O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us