What speaker brands should I be looking at?

Username: Geeky1

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
I'm going to be upgrading the stereo in my 1987 Mercedes 300D; I've tentatively settled on a head unit and amps (an Eclipse CD7200 mk2 and a pair of Rockford T600-4s bridged to drive 2 speakers each), but I'm not sure where to start with speakers.

My budget is anywhere up to about $300-400/pair, and I'm not really sure what brands I should be looking at... I'm only really familiar with "mainstream" stuff like Infinity, Pioneer, Polk and the like, but I suspect that I can do much better than that.

I was looking at these, because they're apparently a drop in replacement for Mercedes' stupid oddly-sized speakers, but I don't know if they're any good, and there are no specs listed that I can find anywhere:
http://www.iqcaraudio.com/mercedes/mercedes_W124.htm

I have no plans for a subwoofer at this time; I'm considering a single 8" in a custom enclosure at some point, but I'd like to get the speakers dealt with first. Any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1320
im in love with my CDT's Mike at exige audio will take care of you if you go this route

what size speakers is in the doors?

Username: Geeky1

Post Number: 2
There are no speakers in the doors on the early W124s, unfortunately. Just the dash and the rear deck. I've been watching ebay for a set of late model door panels (or a spare set that match mine that I can cut up) but I've had no luck with that yet. Theoretically, as I recall, I should be able to fit a 6" driver in each door, at least in the front, but I'll have to measure it in the morning.

I may be able to mount tweeters in the doors in what I think is a decent location as well, I'll have to grab pictures tomorrow.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us