RCA Voltage Drop??

Bronze Member
Username: Atreidies

Post Number: 23
So, I ordered my subs(thank you Mr. Miller). Gonna use my existing wiring(2 Gauge to D-block). KX1200.1 to the subs. Getting my components this weekend(not sure which ones yet, but I can figure it out)and pushing them on a 150w X 4 amp I already have. The problem I am having is what HU to get. Are JVC or Jensen worth a damn? Want a HU with built in HD radio tuner for $200 or less. I've found a couple, but they tend to only have 1 or 2 RCA outs. The main question I guess is will I see a voltage drop on the RCA line if I split them? Or should I use the RCA outs on the Sub amp to run to the other amp? Which way would I see less decrease in S/N ratio? Or do I have to nut up and spend another $100 to get a HU with 3 RCA outs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I know, this is in the wrong section, but none of the cool kids hang out in the HU forums. Unless they are looking for their factory HU security code

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4937
for the head unit:

yes, i would stay away from JVC and Jenson. There are plently of HU's out there for under 200... look at the lower alpine models and pioneer ones. Eclipse has a couple in that price range too.

If it was my set-up i would just run two sets of RCA'S. Because you wont be able to run from one amp to the other since one is a subwoofer amp, and one is for the comps.. you want a set of RCA'S to be connected to the subwoofer output and one set to the high output of the deck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Bassman, the RCA connections are not filtered by a crossover (external) and the internal filters have no effect on the signal sent back out. Why would I not be able to run from one amp to another?
Thanks for the input on HU's. I'll check it out.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10318
JVC Aresenal series are good. The lower line not so much. Nothing beats Alpine though when it comes to HUs. Jensen is complete crap.

" you wont be able to run from one amp to the other since one is a subwoofer amp, and one is for the comps "

Wrong. The RCA outputs on the amp carry the full signal, un-modified, as it is coming into the amp. As long as one of your amplifiers has RCA outputs you can run one set of RCAs from the HU and connect one amp to the other. The advantage to getting a HU with deticated sub outs is that it lets your adjust bass volume from the HU. That is not needed if your amp has a remote level control though (NOT a remote bass boost).

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4942
Hmm that's weird then because the problem with my last set-up was that since i didn't have a dedicated high pre-out in the HU, i hooked my sub amp to my comp amp straight up and i would get a weird whinning noise coming from my comp speakers...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
So would the amp RCA out be at the same voltage going in? I know I will still get a signal to the other amp, even at .3v, just don't want to increase distortion by turning up the gain.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10319
Turning up the gain to match input signal voltage does not cause distortion. The only thing a lower RCA voltage can cause is more noise, and even then it is a negligable amount. You will never ever notice it on a sub amp. Run the RCA from HU to speaker amp, and from there to sub and it will be just fine.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2863

quote:

Wrong. The RCA outputs on the amp carry the full signal, un-modified, as it is coming into the amp.

Well, it depends on the radio.

quote:

othing beats Alpine though when it comes to HUs

lol! What's the lowest line alpine that has an active EQ? What about the lowest line that has thumb drive and ipod support? What is their cheapest quality screen? Seems as if Alpine's higher end stuff has the same features as clarion's and eclipse's low end stuff.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10321
Built in EQs are pretty pointless IMO. Anyone who is serious about EQ tuning will use an independent parametric EQ. They should make more models with USB support though that is my one complaint about alpine. Their high end models have great screens, I like them more than anything else out there.

" Well, it depends on the radio. "

Umm, the radio has nothing to do with this... when you have an amp with RCA outputs, they carry the signal exactly as it is coming in the inputs.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2872

quote:

Built in EQs are pretty pointless IMO

You are kidding me right? An active EQ on a radio is awesome. Also Crossover and rolloff points at hand on the radio is good stuff.

quote:

Umm, the radio has nothing to do with this... when you have an amp with RCA outputs, they carry the signal exactly as it is coming in the inputs.

But, if you have an active crossover on your radio, you don't want your sub crossover to be sent to your highs, and vice versa.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Talked to Steve at RD today, the sonances should be in my hands on monday. :-) So, most companies don't make HUs with built in HD tuners, so my choices were narrowed significantly without spending another $100+ on an external HD tuner. I found this today
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17964_Kenwood+PKG-MP242HD+-Includes+KDC-MP24 2+%2B+KTC-HR200-.html

It looks like everything I need for $169. 2 RCA outs, sub volume control, front aux input for my Scandisk MP3 player. Is Kenwood good on HUs? Only other brand I found within my price range is Dual, and even I know not to buy a HU that advertises a S/N ratio of 80db

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1488
i have a memphis line driver ill sell ya

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I'm good, but thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts