Need help choosing a 15" sub

Username: Liveyman

Post Number: 1
Ok...I am trying to choose a good 15" sub for my system. I am currently using a Memphis 16-PR1.1000 for a sub amp. I am looking for something in the $250 to $300 range. It will be in a vented enclosure. I listen to a little bit of everything, so sq is a factor...but I am a bass head at heart, so loud is good.

I have been looking at a few different options for the amount of power I have. Here is a list. Please add to it if I have missed something.

Fi Q15
RE SX 15
eD 16Ov.2
Soundstream T5-15 (Not sure about this one, but I can get it cheap)

I am sure there are more options out there, but these are what I have come up with atm. I have never personally heard any of these subs, so I am looking for input from those of you that have.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1585
What car do you have and how much room do you have to work with?

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 5071
Out of those off 1000 rms I would have to suggest the Q if you had a little bit more then I would say the sx would be great but with the power you have the Q will get loud and sound great

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6653
mach5 ixl would also be a very great choice.

Post Number: 2
My car is an 08 Hyundai Elantra. I can use the entire trunk if I need to. I am guessing I could have a box in excess of 4 cubes if need be.

Bronze Member
Username: Mpinto19k

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 53
RD Audio Sonance. That's what I have, don't have it hooked up yet so can't tell you what it sounds like but I've only heard great things about it. I have the 15" the thing is a monster.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10305
Q

I run one and it is a great sub. Then again so is the sonance.

Username: Audio_phill

Marion, VA

Post Number: 1
The AudioQue SDC 2.5 wont let ya down either. The Q's are ok, I'd take the RD over the Q, I have an Alpha/heavyweight hybrid and It's nice. eD is by far not your best bet. Incriminator Audio Lethal might work for ya, the Ascendant Audio Arsenal Might as well. I second th notion for the IXL also, I use the 18" version for my home theater sub and it gets nice and low. The IXL's like alot of airspace though...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10312
" The AudioQue SDC 2.5 wont let ya down either "

In SQ and low end output I'd say it will.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 3997
MS x2

Marion, VA

Post Number: 3
No Low end with a SDC huh? lol. I use 1 12" in a Mod 2 meca car and do 145.2dB termlab Headrest and get constant compliments on overall sound. Sub has a 3dB down of 27Hz, lol that's low enough for most not living on a rta. "No output or low end," lol. What alignment you using it in??

Marion, VA

Post Number: 4
While Im at it, My Mod 3 car had 1 HDC3-15A and would do 144.4dB @ 28Hz (Termlab/Headrest)

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10316
I have heard many AQ and DD setups and none could touch the Q or sonance in SQ and low end. They are good for SPL though. I even used to own a 9515, it was a great sub for what it did just not what I wanted in the long run.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2861

quote:

" The AudioQue SDC 2.5 wont let ya down either "
In SQ and low end output I'd say it will.

Have you even messed with an AQ 2.5? I know the rumors and such that they are SPL subs, but that is completely incorrect.

quote:

I have heard many AQ and DD setups and none could touch the Q or sonance in SQ and low end

Ah I see, so you "heard" they can not get low. I bet a few of our DD setups would walk all over your Qs @ 20-30hz. Not saying Qs are a bad sub (hell, they are great for the price), but a DD sub can get just as low, and be even meaner doing it.

I hate when people say DD can't get low lol

Post Number: 3
I had never heard much about AudioQue before this thread. I have heard the name in the past, but never really looked into them. I have been out of car audio completely for the last 3 years due to my now "ex" wife (good riddance). I am actually liking the looks of the HDC315, but I am wondering if my amp will give it enough juice? The website says they are rated at 1000w rms which is what I will be giving it, but I just want to make sure it will work. I also may get a larger amp sometime in the future.

Marion, VA

Post Number: 7
I currently run both SDC2.5 and HDC3-A series, The HDC3-15A has a 1w/1m efficiency of 90.32dB (tested in house here by me) so it doesn't require alot of power to put up big numbers. The guy saying they don't get loud or low is simply full of it or has no hands on experience. These subs get super low and have tons of output. I've been in the industry for 16 years now and have hands on with over 300 different subwoofers and performance per dollar keeps bringing me back to AudioQue. If ya get one of their subs and you ever need it changed, they can convert it up or down sizes to match your install, better yet the price to do it is unmatched by any other company. The SDC2.5 is compared to the DD 3500, and the HDC3 is compared to the DD 9500. Call'em up and have a chat with them they are super friendly and geared towards customer satisfaction. The Son of the Owner of Audioque owns DD (hence the same baskets, motors,and Surrounds and often sharing more.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20210
Nobody mentions SI Mag?

Damn good SQ driver. Sexy too! You can still find one used for that $$$.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

RE MT 15 VFL 200.1 , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1892
DD's can get plenty low

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v407/mike11202/?action=view&current=MOV00973.f lv

Bronze Member

Marion, VA

Post Number: 14
The SI Mag is a darn good woofer, very comparable to the Q, but "used" would be the only problem I would have with that choice. The SSA Icon is a decent sub close to the price your looking for too, here's a used one for 200

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397655
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us