Wiring Issues

Silver Member
Username: Deanerjr

Post Number: 174
Well, ive got a new project, got a fixer-upper. My girlfriend owns a 1994 chevy thats been sittin around for a while. I was uninstalling the Boss In dash it came with earlier today..lol. was kinda sad., had the old black squares fuse box with a 7a fuse that was sepereate from the radio. I hooked up the brand new kenwood she bought and installed it, the power is running to the radio, the connections are good, and the fuses arent blown. checked everything, but there is one single solid grey wire that doesnt have a connection to anything. i looked under the dash, and it runs in with everything above the brake etc, and ties in with either a red or pink wire and has electrical tape around it.
the problem is, is that it ties in, but runs into a bunch of electrical taped wires that are zip tied together. kinda looks like the guy before tried to pull a do it yourself..
any clue what else might be wrong? or what the grey could possible run to?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10263
So whats wrong?

You matched all the wires based on function when you made the new wiring harness right? You can't just color match they are not always the same.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
yeah, connected them all based on function. The dash is not turning on. and i have a lone unmarked wire.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2845
Take a multimeter to that wire and see if it is giving 12v with the car on, and then with the car off.

The color wire you are talking about could be the accessory wire, if it is not already hooked up.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10267
You check for power on the correct pins of the radios connector? Constant, switched, ground.

Either something is not correct at the radios harness or it is a bad radio.

Do you have constant power, switched power, ground, power antenna, amp turn on, dimmer, + and - for all speakers? Thats all I can think of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
ill have to take a look tomorrow afternoon or monday when i head over to her house. Ill check with a multimeter, i know power is running through the wiring though, or they sparked at least. Was pulling at that grey wire like an idiot when i had the wire connections uncovered, and rubbed a couple together and had a little light show under the dash. not sure what the problem is, when ever i rubbed the grey against some of the the front speaker wires on accident i got some static that came across the speakers. but the radio itself isnt turning on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
pretty sure but i can double check M.S. and the radio is brand new =\ would be a b*tch if it was a bad radio -.-

Gold Member

Post Number: 2847
Oh god....

What wires do you NOT have hooked up on the radio currently?

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
just that d*amn grey, by uncovered, i meant that the grey touched the Front Right speaker wires, i only had the wires twisted together at the time, so the copper on the grey rubbed against the copper from the Front R wires.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10270
Is this grey wire on the radio side or the car side?

On most GMs gray is dimmer on the car side.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2848

quote:

just that d*amn grey, by uncovered

I mean what wire do you not have hooked up on the radio's harness.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
its on the car side, and i hadnt thought of the dimmer being grey on this old model truck..o.o and nick, the Tel Mute, Illumi, and another two, i checked other two out though, looked at the manual etc, they were accessory wires like the Tele Mute wire, as in they only serve purpose for an add on like muting the radio when recieving a call on blue tooth.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2849
Is your ground good? Like I said, take a multimeter to your ground, 12v constant, and the 12v ignition wires. If they all come back correct, there is a possibility that the radio is gone.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10271
illumi = dimmer

Thats where the gray wire goes.

Now test all the pins of the radio harness with a DMM for proper function.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
ill test with a multimeter, and ill hook up the dimmer, also, i will test all the pins M.S. thanks :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us