Sub Wiring Question

Username: Jcarter

Post Number: 1
Hey Guys,

I have an MTX Thunder 4250D Mono Amp (4ohm - 125w x 1) powering 2 10" Alpine Type E subs(4ohm, 750w) in a sealed box. I bought them together for $85 the other day. When I bought them they were both wired to one channel.. is that correct? or should i hook one up to the other channel.

Also, there is are 'gain' 'eq' and 'tone' knobs, I've heard that turning any too high can cause clipping and burn the coils, but does that still apply when the subs are so under powered?(<--unless im missing something) The subs don't start sounding very loud until the gain and eq are above half, but im afraid to go farther. Should I be?

I'm in a Jeep Wrangler and I assumed I would be having to turn the gain way down on the thing, not up.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Joe

Gold Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 1003
The subs can be wired to 2 ohm or 8 ohm. Otherwise you need to wire them 1 to each channel.

Your subs should be wired like the first diagram in the link below

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qt y=2&woofer_imp=1

yes that atill applies even if they are being under powered. Your subs are right in the 50-250 watts rms range that is recomended. I wouldnt go any farther then half.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us