PLEASE Help...it took me days to install and wont go above 8-10 on the volume

Silver Member
Username: Curious

Post Number: 115
So I just got everything completed for my aftermarket system but the problem I am having is that when i try to turn the volume up on my head unit above 8 or 10 (it can go all the way up to 40) the sound cuts out from all speakers and the woofer amp starts to make a buzzing noise and the light starts to flicker on the top of the amp like its going out or something...... the amp for the components + 6x9's in the rear doesnt flicker or act as if it wants to go out but the speakers connected to it still go out and I get no sound above a volume of 8 or 10

Anyone know whats up because I cant figure it out for the life of me...

Let me know if you need more information about the system

thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Raydizzle34

Post Number: 28
Did you check all of your electrical wiring? Also did you check to make sure you had everything wired to the proper ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1839
check all connections with a dmm

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Hey Ray how would I check the ohms? I know that my subs are 2 ohms + 2ohms and they are running on a 2 ohm and 4 ohm stable amp they are wired so the amp will see only two ohms.....but the complication comes in that I am also running a four channel amp which powers my components and two rear 6x9's I used a distribution block to split off 0 gauge into two 4 gauges for each amp

whats a dmm
Daniel?

Bronze Member
Username: Raydizzle34

Post Number: 29
DMM = Digital Multimeter, used to check voltage, resistance, amps and whatnot

How did you ground each amp? Are you sure that no wires are accidentally rubbing each other? And did you make sure everything is wired in the proper polarity? (+ & -)

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Hey I MADE ONE PHONE CALL AND got it figured out

Hey everyone So now I figured out what the problem from one phone call to a friend of my uncles.

So I will start from the top just in case this can help out some one in the future. My set up is as follows

I am running a pioneer apvh 5000
http://www.nextag.com/pioneer-avh-5000-dvd/search-html
as my head unit then I have this connected two amps

Amp 1 is an older kenwood mono block amp powering one 12" alpine type R in a sealed box I believe its only rated at around 700 watts. but it does the job well enough

Amp 2 is an Alpine four channel amp
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208105573&listingid=39471901&dcaid=179 02
this amp is powering a set of components
which are here-----http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=alpine+component+speakers&oe=utf-8&cid= 15390173813019903044&sa=title#ps-sellers

Amp two is also powering two pioneer 6x9's in the rear deck

that is the after market system I am running, I am also running the factory system on the two 3.5" speakers in the rear deck and the speakers in the dash that control the door chimes and the signal beeps.

So that would mean I followed Dpgoose and Pugs and many others tutorials in order to complete the install And I must say that I HIT ALOT OF SPEED BUMPS ALONG THE WAY

SO here is what the problem was with the cutting out at 10 and above volume the issue is that the speakers in the door were ran just as the factory ones were and I cut the wires right before they entered the amp underneath the drivers seat. I know that this is the problem because I hooked up just the 6x9"s to the four channel amp and left the sub woofers hooked up and I was able to turn the volume up as loud as I wanted.
I believe that between the speakers and the connection that I made before the factory amp under the seat there is something that is either puttin more power into the system causing it to short out or taking power which was also causing it to short out.

So what I need to do in order to fix the problem is I have to run speaker wire DIRECTLY from the door speakers into the car (going to have to drill some holes into the door frame and door and place a rubber grommet because there aren't any spots that are already there to run the new wires unfortunately
Also I am running 0 gauge cable from the battery back to the trunk and then the 0 gauge cable goes into a distribution block which then splits the 0 gauge into two four gauges which then go to each of the amps. Each amp has its own ground underneath the rear seats where I attached a bolt to an open spot on both sides.

if anyone has any questions to my experiences let me know

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
I SPOKE way to soon

I still have the same problem after a minute of driving with the volume up the system cut out again

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4885
what do you have the gain set to on the subwoofer amp? try turning down that AND the bass boost and do you still have it?

have you used the amp on a previous set of speakers without it cutting out?
i'm assuming you have check over and over the wiring to the subs correct?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4886
and DEFINENTLY re-ground the amp and make sure its getting a good solid connection to Bare chasis...

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Hey bassman thanks yes I used the monoblock on a set of speakers (the same subs as now) and it worked fine no probs but the 4 channel is new and I have never run it on the speakers that I have it trying to push ( a set of components and two 6x9"s)
I will redo the ground but do you think this could really be the problem it is grounded to the metal under the rear seats in a spot that I used the dremel on to get to the bare metal.

Also the gain is only at 2 volts

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4908
hmm.

so you get a buzzing noise from your subwoofer amplifier correct, but not your comp. amp correct?

does the buzzing increase when you turn up the volume or when your turn up the bass boost?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4909
second question:

what is the model number of the kenwood amp?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us