****2 Kicker 12L7's or one JL Audio 12w7. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: U_f_c

Post Number: 1
hey everyone, its been far to long a wait for my first post lol. ive been lurking for a while, soaking up info. so i need some help.

i have a kicker kx1200.1, and right now 4 12 cvr's at .5 ohm, with no problems at all. but i want better sq.

im selling the subs, keeping the amp.

i need to know the following. if you can help, it would be very greatly appreciated. im going to make my descision based off what you pros have to say, so please, if your not sure, dont steer me in the wrong direction lol.

1. what would overall be better? a 12w7 or 2 12 l7's? my kx1200.1 pushes 1450rms at 1 ohm, but i think the 12w7 can only be wired to 1.5 ohms? im looking for sound quality and loudness. would a jl go best in a ported or sealed box? how many qubic feet?

basically, im a noob trying to work my way up the ladder, and i need knowlesge from you guys.

so, should i get a 12w7 or 2 17's?

thanks alot-ufc

Post Number: 2
oh ya, and if it helps, i have a pioneer head unit, and only 4 gauge wiring, bu an extra battery hooked up now. do i need to get 0 gauge wire for 1500rms? and could a jl take all watts safely and sound good? please help lol

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 878
between the 2 the w7 , especially if you want more SQ, but if you want to broaden your horizons you could get two nice 12's for the price of the dub7

Silver Member

Post Number: 879
i'd probably run all 0 gauge just in case you have future upgrades with more power but no you dont need 0 for 1500rms

Post Number: 3
thanks for the reply derek. so you reccomend what?

im putting the subs in my saturn, and they will be facing forward in the trunk, with the seats folded down. so the sub will be about 3 feet from the drivers seat, facing it.

my 4 kickers are loud, they bounce change, shake my mirrors, make watter ripple and jump, but ive been told it would be louder to power only 2 or 1 sub, so the amp could max them out, rather then not max out all 4 cvr's.

any input on any kind at all would help.

Post Number: 4
the space between the bottom on my trunk and the top is only 13 useable inches, so i can only have 12 inch subs.

i like the idea of the look of a single jl audio in the trunk.

im building a custom box for whatever i get, exactyly the size of the seat opening, so it will be a custom fit.

either 2 12 l7's or 1 jl 12 would look really nice and clean, since i dont like the look of 4 cvr's. im a simple kind of guy lol, i really like the jl subs im thinking right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
other subs

RE SE x2
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-RE-AUDIO-SE12D2-12-SE-WOOFER-SUBWOOFER-SE12-D2-pair_W0QQit emZ360138785082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item36013878508 2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Fi SSD x 2

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1549bc746e605c0/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.sho pscript

Fi Q 12 or 15 x 1
you might need to add some options to run 1500

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1549bc746e605c0/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0030_Q/product_overview.shops cript

Soundsplinter RL-s 12 or 15 x1
but they are single 3 ohm subs

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rls12_subwoofer_information.html

Sundown Audio Nightshade 12 or 15 x1

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPat h=2_19&products_id=48

Silver Member

Post Number: 881
what amp you running?

Silver Member

Post Number: 882
nvm lol i read it but forgot that quick

Post Number: 5
my kicker kx1200.1

Post Number: 6
a few of those links didnt work, but damn that soundsplitter is very very very nice and only 450,

but, question, its a 3 ohm just like the jl. does that mean i could only run it at 1.5 ohm?

cause the kx series is different than zx.

my amp was tested at 1455rms at an ohm from kicker, but is only 300rms at 4 ohms, 600 at 2, and 1200 at 1.

so if i did a 1.5 ohm load, it would only get around 800 watts, correct?

Silver Member

Post Number: 886
its a single 3 ohm so you would run it at 3 ohms if you had two you'd run them at 1.5ohm in parallel, so probably not the RL-s unless you got another amplifier.

Post Number: 7
oh damn, are you 100 percent sure?

the lowest the jl can be wired is 3 ohms?

cause i need something to run at an ohm on my kicker. hell, its .5 stable, and would only put out like 500 rms at 3.

if i got 2 4 ohm l7's, they can wire to an ohm, correct?

thanks again derek.

Post Number: 8
oh, wait, jl's 12w7 are dvc, right?

so a 3 ohm dvc can be wired down to 1.5 i think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 887
since the links didnt work just check these sites out and it looks like your looking for 2 subs at about 600 rms or 1 sub with 1200

reaudio.com > 2SE, 1SX
dcsoundlabs.com > LVL 4XL(upgrade amp later)
rdaudio.net > 2classic, 2sonance, 1 Alpha
soundsplinter.com > 1RL-p

Ficaraudio.com < 2SSD, 1(BL),1Q
sundownaudio.com > 1 Nightshade
audioque.com > 2SD 1 HDC

also check

caraudio.com/forum
caraudioclassifieds.org
ebay

for used subs

Silver Member

Post Number: 888
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=160

Post Number: 9
well, i might add on another kx1200.1 this year. im looking at something like 2 1000rms.

i really like the rockford t2's, not the mtx 9500's much though.

i need something to look nice, its going to be visible from inside and outside the car.

if you stand at the front of the car, and look through the windshield, the sub will be between the front seats, in the middle, with the rear seats folded down to expose the woofer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 890
the t2's are nice but there is much better for the money just check the links. same thing can be said about any jl product

Post Number: 10
ya those are very nice, but im a cash guy.

i dont really mess with the internet buying stuff, you just never know.

im gonna pick them up locally.

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 488
the W7 in in the JL HO box is a great setup, awesome SQ and loudness

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 572
the best sq i have heard is from a fi q. so i would look at get a fi q or a sonance they both would sound really good in a sealed or ported box and get loud.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us