So i think my iraggi alt died

Bronze Member
Username: Christopherrm

Post Number: 30
tonight i was riding around and my music started to get softer and the sound quality began to decrease significantly and my lights were dimming where they never had before after installing the new alternator well over a year ago. by the time i had pulled over and parked i started getting bad crackling and static from the components and muddy bass response. i opened up my trunk and checked everything out and wiring looked good, subs and speakers checked out on the DMM. i went back and turned on the car to check and the crackling stopped and the levels seemed to go to normal and then it immediately started happening again. my first thought was the amps (even though I had set the sub amp with a DMM and the component amp with an oscilloscope so the gains were perfect and shouldn't be pulling too much current).

that is when i got out of the car and smelled a burning smell coming from the front of the car. i almost want to say it was a rubbery burning smell. i ended up just closing the hood and driving home with radio off and on the way home i started to hear a whining sound. looks like the iraggi alternator finally bit the dust. i got it when people were saying they were happy with their alternator and it wasn't until after that i started hearing the problems with customer service and build quality from iraggi.

wish i got the warranty now...

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 921
Sorry to hear that. I just ordered a alt from this sight. So far i am very pleased with my service. I got my alt with the underdrive pulley to help produce more power at lower rpms.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?category=1

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 5008
You set your amp by oscilliscope huh did you rlly??? lol for some reason I just dont see it not calling you a liar.

Nonetheless Im sorry to hear about your alt hope its just the belt or something

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
my father use to work on MRI machines on top of doing a lot of other complex electrical work. because of that we have 5 or 6 oscilloscopes in our attic at my home and my dad helped me calibrate and operate one in order to set my amp gain.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2759
That sucks bro.

There are a few other good sites to get alts from that have been mentioned hundreads of times.

oh btw: Why didn't you also set your sub amp with the oscilloscope since you own a few?

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 5011
thats cool chris i wasent calling you out just seemed funny since there so expensive. Its awesome that you them for use.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2284
My Iraggi has been a trooper for 2+ years now. Will be three november 2009.

Sometimes you just get a faulty one, it happens.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
charlie: i know you weren't calling me out. i just figured i would specify how i was able to get ahold of one. after learning how to use it though i don't think i'm ever going to set my gains without one because it makes it so freakin easy. since i have a laptop to set my RF 360.2 for my car i figured i would also get a usb oscope to go with it.

i'm glad that your iraggi is still working. i'm debating on whether i want to get another one (with a warranty this time). i was happy with it while it was working so i'm still considering it.

i didn't set the sub amp with an oscilloscope because the range isn't as dynamic and i feel pretty comfortable that if the amp gain is set to not clip at 50 hz 0db at my maximum normal listening level that the other frequencies will not clip either. which is why i was ok just setting it with a DMM.

i'm at work right now, but when i get off i'm going to take a look at my alt and see if it is something like the belt or something that can be fixed without replacement of the alternator. i'm not very good with automotive systems though so i will probably have to wait to take it to a shop to get looked at (i'm more of an electrical/computer kinda guy than an automotive mechanic).

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1139
eh id be happy that u didnt get the warranty, ur rebuilt one will jus crap out as all of his alts now adays, unless ur steve meade of course

with that being said if it is ur alt n needs replacing, check out the famous Mechman alts :-) also DB electric are good from what i hear

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4051
o scopes arent that exp. i just bought a new one for 140 shipped bnib. i will see how good it is. velleman is the brand name. mechman.com. i like mine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
I took a look at the belt driving my alternator and it had very noticeable wear on it and replaced it. It appears it was causing the entire problem so I am back up and running. Thank god I don't have to buy another alternator right now!

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2752
hmmmm, just curious, could you throw up a pic of the wear on the old belt ( if you haven't thrown it away)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
i've already thrown it away, but it had very considerable cracks in ribs of the belt and was probably at any time going to break.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us