Subs cutt off at high volume

Username: Ikonmark

Post Number: 1
hey guys long time reader first time poster. i was hoping someone here could help me out

head unit: Kenwood DDX6019
Amp: Alpine 700watt
Subs: 2 12" kenwood kfc w3011

problem: when i first turn on the radio the subs will hit at a moderate volume level of 10 they will hit constantly with no issues until i start to turn up the volume and go up to say a volume level of 20, once i get to that level they will hit for a couple seconds then completely stop. If i turn it down nothing happens but if i turn off the head unit and turn it back on back to a moderate level the subs will start to hit again.

Does anyone have any input on this? could it possibly be the rca wires that i am running are too long and are a generic brand meant for home audio as opposed to car audio?

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 134
Are any speaker wires touching? something simmilar happened to me before and it turns out my friend didnt tape up the speaker wires he tapped into to get an rca out so they were touching and when i turned it up a little bit the stereo stopped completely playing music.

Post Number: 2
the speaker wires are not touching

Bronze Member
Username: Christopherrm

Post Number: 18
i had a similar problem once and i hooked up a DMM to the subs and the ohm load was way off. they subs still turned on at moderately low levels but when turned up they would cut out. i replaced the subwoofers since they were blown and that fixed the whole issue. i dont know why they were able to turn on with an unbalanced load but i guess its just one of those weird things. i would recommend getting a DMM on your subs. is the amp going into protect mode?

Bronze Member
Username: Kissdaredevil

Post Number: 73
check your remote wire going to the amp sometimes when it gets burried under the floor boards it can get cut which would send about half the signal to the amp which can cause the amp itself not to function properly. you could hook a multimeter up to it and check the voltage.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 985
redo your ground until you get it right : )..

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 986
your amp is going into protection mode due to this which is why you can reach volume lvl of 10 fine but once you inch up to 20 the demands exceed what your ground is capable of so it kicks off again every time this is just a common sign of a poor ground...

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1777
is the amp going into protect?

maybe your gain is set too high

Post Number: 3
my amp is grounded where the battery is grounded.... would that be considered a poor ground still?

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 987
Hmmm.. if your amps ground is at the place the battery is grounded I wonder how long this ground wire is since I presume the amp is some where inside the cab of the vehicle while the ground is under the hood near your battery which leads me to my next question, is the ground wire around 3 foot because an amps ground should not exceed 3 feet

Post Number: 4
the car is a BMW so the battery is in the trunk and so is the grounding location, the ground cable from the amp to the ground is about 2 feet for sure no longer than 3

Post Number: 5
i swapped out the subs for Diamond Audio D3 still same issue.

the amp is not going into protect because when i touch it, it is no where near hot

i switched out the rca cables still same issue

speaker wires are 8 gauge and the power/ground is 4 gauge

ive adjusted the gain to near its minimum setting and still same issue.

db is set to 6 and hz is at 100 still same issue.

ive checked all my connections and all the wires are tight and not touching any other wires.

one thing i might add is that the remote wire is spliced into a factory line not the head unit.

someone please help its driving me insane!

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 988
whats the amps model number ?

Post Number: 6
MRP M350 700 watt

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 989
I still thinks its going into protection mode which is why you have to restart the stereo before it resets (an amp doesnt have to be hot to go into prot mode) but what ohms do you have your speakers wired for ? have you tried this amp in other cars or had it tested to verify that its in fully functioning condition ? is this a problem that occured during a new install or had this setup been working previously and only recently started to give you this problem

Houston, Tx

Post Number: 7
The amp was in working condition with no issues in my friends car i hooked it up to my car while installing my double din i figured go ahead and knock it all out. since then ive been having the same issues. now before i had this amp i had a memphis pr500.1 amp hooked up to a LOC but using some JL w3's. same wires and same set up. its just after converting over to this amp and subs is when i get the problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Raydizzle34

Post Number: 22
my subs were doing this also, but I had the bass on the head unit off and the gain up on the amp and turned it way up. i since then lowered the gain and played with the setting a lil bit and everything is cool now.

ur problem seems weird if it still happens even when you have everything set low....

Bronze Member
Username: Pistol_pete

Cavalier, Nd United states

Post Number: 24
try wiring your subs series. maybe your amp cant handle the ohm load your giving it causing it to cut out.

Username: Hdc3believer

Dalton, GA US

Post Number: 6
hmmm welll i didnt read all that atuff just skimmed! seems like you need 1/0 gauge wiring and that should solve your problem! its either that or ground or buy a head unit that has more preout voltage and you wont have to turn your gain upo as much and strain the amp!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us