Let's discuss horns..

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 842
I know nothing about horns but i keep hearing that they are good. What kinda midrange do they work well with?

what frequency range do that hit?
what kinda space is required to install them?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10016
Who the hell have you been listening to hear that.

Absolutely terriable. They have no place in car audio. IMO.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 843
i've been reading for a while and from what i gathered horns are good...please educate me.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10019
Maybe if you want the highs to pierce your ears they're good I guess.

Think about this, if they were good why do not see anyone running them. Been a long time since I've seen horn tweeters in a car. And that was one of those extremely ghetto systems. lol.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 844
Well...i thought they were used in SQ cars? I'm talkin about the ones that u install under ur dash with compression drivers n what not. Maybe i'm confused.

Bronze Member
Username: Christopherrm

Post Number: 13
Considering how directional the sound is for horn tweeters I don't believe that having them installed under the dash is going to give a quality soundstage. Horn's are used in speaker systems like PA's because they are good at filling an entire room with sound and are not ideal in car audio (especially in consideration of SQ). The disperation area of horn tweeters are very limited making them a terrible choice for a car environment.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 845
i got this from ca.com

"can't remember which model of horn bodies these are... I want to say CD1-Pro, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know. The compression drivers are not ID, but I did purchase the bodies and drivers from the same person. The B&C DE500s are apparently what ID uses in one of their horn lines. Regardless, they sound incredible. The impact is insane. I think I will have a hard time ever switching back to a small format tweeter."

Bronze Member
Username: Christopherrm

Post Number: 14
Regardless of whether you believe that, in general, they are not ideal for car audio the fact remains that horn tweeters are the farthest leap from SQ that you can possible get in car audio. That is why people get silk dome component sets cause the response needs to be as smooth and close to reproducing the original recording. Horn tweeters in cars do well at getting ear bleeding loud. Not what I would call sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us