General Questions About Subwoofers

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1741
I just want to start off saying that these questions assume IDEAL conditions(proper power, box size, etc.) and not necessarily in a vehicle but if one can elaborate for in vehicle results that would be cool too.

first of all what is it that makes a subwoofer loud? i know this is a vague question but keep reading...

Why does more power make a subwoofer louder? I under stand that more power means more force on the cone but the manufactures compensate the extra force by using more spiders which limits the motion more.

Let Subwoofer A = 1000rms and sub woofer B = 2000 rms
Assuming ALL other parameters are identical (even if thats impossible)
Which would be louder sub A or sub B
Remember what IDEAL conditions are!

now take that situation and put the same subs in ported boxes, is there a change in the difference of output, if any?

How does porting a sub make it louder? is it possible for the port "wave" to cancel out the speaker "wave" possibly by placing them on different sides of the enclosure?

Why is it said that xmax isint super important for spl?

how can a sub playing at the tuning frequency of the box have nearly no cone motion yet still move so much air?

I understand that this s probably a pretty complex answer but i would doubt a few of you on here to come through.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 19948
What?

Disregard please.

Silver Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 132
in the Marine Corps we have this great thing its called " Don't ask questions just do" in this case don't wonder why this stuff does what it does unless it goes with your profession which im sure it doesn't, not to sound like a jerk but there are answers to all your questions on different info websites posted all over this forum.

just remember there are different types of loud, there is ear splitting loud (tweeters) and ear pounding noise (subwoofers) take size into affect tweeters hurt my ears alot more than subwoofers do lol....

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1750
VERY simplified answers that I'm just too lazy to type in a technical way, hope some of this helps. Don't take it all literally, because again I tried to simplify things.

Energy does not go away- it can not be destroyed, it just changes form. If you have the 'electrical' energy from the amp, it translates to the mechanical energy of the motor and heat, then into soundwaves.
Energy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy#Energy_and_the_laws_of_motion

Efficiency plays a huge part in power- look at the home theater subs available with 100+db eff., while high 90s is common in car audio.
With a ported box you're (very very simplified) just using the back of the woofer to create useful soundwaves.

Around tuning the port acts like cone area sort of, which is why it can be so much louder with less excursion. You often see competitiors with HUGE ports- some times bigger than the actual sub, but you have to figure out at what point it benefits because of motor strength.

Theres so much more you can read about all this, and would recommend if you're interested because there certainly are more educated and intelligent sources than me and this forum

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1742
it actually does go with my profession. I am studying to be a materials science engineer and the audio industry is constantly looking for better and more economical materials to use to offer a better and less expensive product than competitors.

While my questions are not directly related to materials, it takes understanding of the device itself to understand how certain materials will be better than others for an application.

Just because im not necessarily studying to design and make speakers/subwoofers dosnt mean that i cant or wont work for an audio company doing exactly that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us