M.S. and Batteries

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2005
Hey, I see the post down below about batteries but I wonder if you can give me a list as to what brands are good and all that.

My buddy is wanting an Optima but I know that for the price, there are WAY better batteries but I'm not sure exactly what to reccomend....

He has an 05 RX-8.

My battery is from these guys:
http://www.batterydirect.com/en/batteries/starting_lighting_ignition/14

Has a 5 year uncodnditional warrenty and it's been awesome so far, I believe is is a Discovery battery.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9952
For car audio or just the best all around battery?

Deka
Odyssey
Stinger
Kenitik
Northstar
Powermaster

For an under the hood or all purpose battery durability is an issue though, so drop northstar and possibly kenitik form the list.

As most people here probably know, I only endorse Odyssey brand batteries and their variants i.e. stinger, made by enersys / west coast batteries.

Optima and everstart are the ones experience has taught me to avoid.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9953
BTW that in no way means to imply there are not other good types of batteries out there that I have not encountered.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3510
Not looking for a debate here. Just want to say something. Let's see if we can do this civilly.

Now, just because someone has had a bad experience with an Optima battery, doesn't mean that everyone will, and doesn't mean that they should be looked at as below average, pieces of sh!t. I know a couple people with yellow tops and they have never failed them. I don't doubt there being better batteries out there for the money, I just don't think Optima should be completely excluded. Now, I don't run an Optima battery and don't really have any intention on doing so, I'm simply stating my opinion.

It's kind of like the whole pioneer thing. Just because people have had problems with noise issues doesn't mean that everyone will experience it and I don't think it's a reason to discourage people from their products. Are there other brands out there that might be better? Sure. Does this mean that pioneer shouldn't even be considered? I certainly don't think so.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1097
i got a redtop under the hood???

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1440
well put stavenmist.. very well put

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2006
I hear ya Stavenmist!

It's just that in town for a red/yellow top you are looking at $220+tax and I picked up my Discovery platinum battery for like $140 and it has a 5 year warranty and has been good to me.

I will pass this info on to my buddy.

Thanks everyone!

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 2464
LOL Steve you crack me up but i do agree

Bronze Member
Username: Msand951

Riverside, Ca Usa

Post Number: 90
have you heard of armasafe batteries its made by enersys for the military. just want to know what you guys think for a stereo application. or is it overkill. my military friend can get me one out of a abrams tank.
http://www.enersys.com/defense/armasafe.asp

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9966
If you are looking for a deep cycle, that looks like very powerful one.

Usually those do not have a short (5 second or so) current supply as good as a regular sealed battery though. And that is one of the things to look at for an audio application.

Also I'd be wary of a used one from the military... deep cycle batteries have a shorter life and a limited number of discharges... you don't know how it has been used.

Bronze Member
Username: Mpinto19k

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 33
Yeah I'm in the Army and I am a tanker on the Abrams so I can tell you from working on the damn things you don't want to run one of those and if it is coming right off the Abrams the things been used hard

Bronze Member

Riverside, Ca Usa

Post Number: 91
Thank you for your service and tip, Mauricio . my friend has a machine that breaks them down and i guess refurbished them or something. he has a contract with the gov in the battery business but probably still a bad idea.

Bronze Member
Username: Mpinto19k

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 34
Appreciate that Mike, and yeah I don't know a whole lot but I know enough that you wouldn't want to use those.

Also... Ill be home in 5 DAYSSS!!!!! Been in Iraq for a year now!

Bronze Member

Riverside, Ca Usa

Post Number: 92
Congradulations and welcome back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us