Subwoofer cutting out.. totally stumped.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 990
hey guys i've got a problem that has me totally stumped. not that i know all that much, so it might be an easy fix. anyway my subwoofer (JL 10w3v2-d4) keeps cutting out me after about 4 minutes of use. My amp (Kicker zx300.1) is still on after the woofer cuts out, and does not go into protection. I checked every single wire, making sure all connection were solid and secure, and i also checked the vc's on the woofer to make sure they weren't fried. Everything looks in perfect order, but i keep having this problem.

As a side note, i pulled this system directly out of my other car where it had been working fine for about a year, and then when i changed vehicles the problem started.

One more thing, when the cd player first turns on or when i skip songs, my subwoofer bumps. i don't have any engine noise coming through the speaker, just a loud bump at the every time i turn on the cd player or manually skip a song. I was wondering if these could be related? any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9937
That really sounds like an amp issue.... can you put a DMM on that amps power and ground terminals and read voltage when it happens?

As for the loud noise, running a good ground to the HU instead of using the factory ground wire usually fixes that.

Silver Member

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 991
hmm.. i'm away at school right now, so no access to any kind of tools really, but maybe i'll ask around and see if i can't find someone that has a DMM, cause i'd prefer not to have to buy one. i'll look into it though.

another thing i forgot to mention, maybe it will help, when i first hooked it up i had it on a faulty ground.. i was getting tons of like distortion and nasty feedback through the woofer. i was able to find a new place to ground and now it plays fine, but like i said only for a few minutes.

Silver Member

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 992
anyone else with any suggestions? i know its weird to have a thread thats not OT or filled with a ton of pics and actually has a question in it.. lol. but i need some help.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4664
you can buy a cheap dmm for 10 bucks. Thats the only way to tell whats going on. Otherwise its all conjecture.

Example: your batterys negitive terminal wire is most likely the culprit. Get on that first.

Silver Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 143
check your wiring, and see if there is any resistance on your ground, check your RCAs and make sure they are red red white white..

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4986
ya i would def say check ur rca's

then check ur grounds

and basically last thing to do is what ms said to do

you dont have to many options with this lol

Silver Member

Olney, IL US

Post Number: 994
ah thanks guys. i knew i could get some good replies. i'll check the wires again, double check them, and triple check them just to make sure i'm not missing anything. i'll see if i can't pick up a DMM but i have no idea how to use one, so i'll prolly be back with another question once i do haha. thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us