Fi Audio BTL's

Silver Member
Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 151
I was wondering how two 18" dual 1 ohm Fi Audio BTL's powered by 1 Memphis MC1.4000 would stack up against two 18" RE audio 18" dual 2 ohm XXX subs??

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLside, Pronounced: ... U.S.A.

Post Number: 573
BTL's have a better chance of being louder...
XXX's have a better chance of sounding better...

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1728
With 2x the power the btls would have an obvious advantage for spl.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Then why are Fi 18" BTL like a thrid of the price of RE Audio XXX if Fi is better?

Username: A12voltman80

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 6
BTL is sold direct to the end consumer plus it is a standard subwoofer.

The XXX goes through distributors and dealers before the end consumer.

BTL is an ok subwoofer with above average power handling. If you do not care about the sound then this will do fine.

If you put more than RMS on them like some people on the forums they will become sloppy over time and lessen the life of the subwoofer

The xxx with do very well for the low end bass response but will lack in meter output and higher bass notes.
Kind of a trade off of sorts. But not two subwoofers you can compare side by side.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Oh i see that makes sense.

So another words you're saying that the BTL will produce a higher DB level than the XXX but the XXX will have more of "music" sound rather than straight pressure like the BTL?

Is there a subwoofer that is the BTL and the XXX combined?

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 12
A few ?'s

What kind of vehicle are you putting this in?

What kind of music do you play?

Is your focus on the sound? or meter? or both

what is your budget on the subwoofers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
I'm putting it in a '73 blazer.

I play all kind of music,...mostly alternative Rock Rap and Classic Rock hahaha (weird combo i know)

well I'd like both but maybe leaning just a little bit towards sound.

budget would be around $1500 or so on a pair of 18" subs that sound great and pound harder than hard.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1724
im assuming you have all the proper electrical requirements to run 4k+ daily?

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
um...well that was going to be my next question Mark after i figured out which subs to go with and what amp to push them with...but could you enlighten me on what you think proper electrical requirements i'll need for a 4k+ system??

Thank you

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 13
List of what i have heard 2000+ RMS that sounds good and hits hard

TC LMS - but will not work for your music too well

BTL - hits hard but not musical

RD HW - music version only

I will also research to find you other options
Or you may want to think about 15" or more 12"

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1725
ummm. your looking at about $1000 worth of electrical upgrades.

If you get good deals you will be looking at:
$300 for high output alternator greater than 180 amp.
$50 for 1/0 wiring and fuse for big 3.
$300 for 2 deep cycle batteries(800+ CCA each).

Thats only $650 but thats if you get really good deals on everything. and that would be the bare minimum to run 4k daily. you would probably want to keep your stock battery in the mix or add a third deep cycle or both.

and thats also installing everything yourself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Ok thank you Mike!!

Oh and not to sound dumb but might as well ask since i'm learning all of this,
i don't know what TC LMS and RD HW are? well yeah they're subs but i don't know who makes them.

Thank you very much Mike!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Ok i can get a 225 amp HO alt for $275
yes you're right about $50 for the wire and i'm still looking into the batteries for a good deal
I will keep the stock batt and then after that think about a third deep cycle batt.

and i can install it all myself thanks to everyone on here

Thank you Mark!!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2312
its TC sounds and RD audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Blkbville04

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 67
The TC LMS is by TC Sounds you can see them in action on youtube on singaboy311's youtube account, and RD HW is the RD Audio Heavy Weight series, DDbump has some on youtube as well

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
thank you snow and brian for the clarification!!

what do you guys suggest is a good sub??

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9941
Sry OT, but is your blazer in good shape.... and does it have the removable hard top.... if so get some pics up those are sweet

Gold Member

Post Number: 1733
"BTL is an ok subwoofer with above average power handling. If you do not care about the sound then this will do fine.

If you put more than RMS on them like some people on the forums they will become sloppy over time and lessen the life of the subwoofer "

Mike Williams, can you explain this for me? I understand the suspension/surround will soften during normal break in, but why would any sub become sloppy by running excess power? Obviously if things aren't set up properly and you're playing below tuning too much or something there could be long term problems, but aside from abuse like this why would it "become sloppy"?

The Fi BL with BP option would also be on my list of subs to put 2krms to and sounds good Hunter

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Thank you M.S. It is in good condition and yes it has the hard removable top. It has been sitting for a few years...it's at grandma's house right now...waiting for school to be out to go up and get it. quite a trip to grandma's. I figured i would try and finish my '71 chevelle by summer then go get the blazer this summer for a summer project.

This is the only picture i have...not the best

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
So the RD HW or SHW would be the best sub for SQ and SPL combined? More so than the RE XXX?

And would it be more realistic to go with 15's than 18's?

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 72
15s will hit a broader range of notes, where as the 18s will be mostly for lows and some mids, but it also has a lot to do with ports, enclosure size, wiring, etc. The RD's will be cheaper than the RE's so that might be the make or break. As far as the RD being best for sq and spl i havnt heard enough of either to make that clarification. Snow should be able to though

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9247

quote:

15s will hit a broader range of notes, where as the 18s will be mostly for lows and some mids, but it also has a lot to do with ports, enclosure size, wiring, etc. The RD's will be cheaper than the RE's so that might be the make or break. As far as the RD being best for sq and spl i havnt heard enough of either to make that clarification. Snow should be able to though

I lol'd.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2337
How would I know? I hate RD. lol.

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 14
XXX will have the better sq down low.

But the rd will get alot louder and offer a wider response.

If you go with the rd ask for the music version so it is not to stiff and then it will play much smoother.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Hahaha snow you crack me up!!!

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 74
lol oops didnt know that snow, i dont know about many people on here....ill probably just stop talking now....

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Ok thank you mike that is good information right there!

and which RD are you refering to?...SHW, HW...

I think i'm leaning more towards the XXX but my friend keeps saying Fi BTL all the way and here i have been entroduced to the RD's so i am not sure which one to go with. I'm looking for SQ and SPL and i am not trying to break any records with SPL just something to blow away the kids in town haha

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3611
RD HW = SQL ??? uh.....

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2338
yeah, people stay they sound pretty good. I'd consider it an SQL sub.

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 553
The musical version has totally different soft parts than the typical Heavyweight.

It uses our linear coil tech. with only a single spider and new cone. The coil is much taller than the SPL version about 14-15mm.

I would not consider it a SQ sub by no means but it sounds pretty good for a 3000 watt RMS subwoofer. If has excellent low bass extention also.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2594

quote:

was wondering how two 18" dual 1 ohm Fi Audio BTL's powered by 1 Memphis MC1.4000 would stack up against two 18" RE audio 18" dual 2 ohm XXX subs??

2- dual 1 ohm v.c. subs would not work with thw memphis amp as it is 2 ohm stable. The XXX and the BTL are two totally different type of subs

why are you even mentioning the RD HW or SHW? . if you are wanting to run 2 18's on 4K than all you need is the RD alpha. They are musical and still would be plenty loud. Trust me, I know. . If you are looking to run 1 sub on 3-4 K then look at the HW. I know that what yall are referring to is possible, it just isn't ideal (IMO). Hell, I'm running 2 18" Alpha's on a RD5750 @.5 ohm and the Alphas are doin' the job, and then some. And they are in a musical box.. I need to make a new vid(since alt, 5750, fatmat, frontstage, ect.-upgrades) to let you see what i'm talkin' about. If you go with Fi. look inito the BL, gthat would also be a lil better choice than the btl on that power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
That's exactly what i was looking for Mark! Thank you! I would love to see your new video of your Alpha's!

and since you have 2 Alpha's do you think that they are better than XXX SQ and SPL?? I know i probably sound like a broken record stuck on XXX...sorry!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2596
The 04/05 XXX's are an amazing SQL sub and you are not going to find many subs that will compare to it.. The Alpha is also a SQL sub but is more on the SPL side of the spectrum. Either way they will both soundlike azz if the enclosure and install isn't worth a cr@p. I would venture to say that the Alpha should have no problem getting louder as it can take more power. As for the new XXX, I have no clue because I haven't got my hands on one to try em out, and have NO interest, because of the price. You would be happy with the Alphas.. They have no problem hitting the upper, mid, and lower bass.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3613
The Alphas would be a great pair, I have a v1 that's been sitting in my garage for a few months. It sounded great off 1000wrms when I was using it.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 849
For people who think the BTL is not musical, might want to ask what the high end DIY home audio people are doing with them in their home stereos then.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2514
Hunter,

If you plan on running 4K rms, the Alpha would be PERFECT. They sound great and get loud in 1 package. If you have any questions shoot me an email I can help you.

Kevin
se_rdaudio@yahoo.com

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1727
look around on ca.com ang get a good deal on somthing. ppl sellin pair of 18's all the time over there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Yeah i agree that the XXX are a bit on the pricey side!!

so i'm now down to Fi BL or RD Alpha V2 not sure which ones to go with...i will definitely shoot an email to you Kevin!! maybe you can answer a few more of my more precise technical questions about the Alpha's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1737
I really enjoy the sound of my btls. I listen to rock mainly they do great on things like devildriver and Thrice, but also can do hair tricks and great numbers down low :-)

I was waiting for a response from mike williams, but I've given my btls 4kw with absolutely no problems- no 'sloppy' sound. The enclosure you put them in will determine how they sound.

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 18
BTL does not sound good if you have plenty of subwoofers to compare it to that you have heard before.

A xxx will sound much better. Their are many factors that go into how a subwoofer will sound.

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 19
4,000 because your amp says so on the box at 1 ohm or you really clamped the amp at 1 ohm and 4,000 watts?

Amp does 4,000 watts at 1 ohm and you have 1 ohm nominal. You could be running your amplifier at 2.4 ohms getting 1,700 watts.

It is common for people to believe that they are getting rated power out of the amp at nominal ratings.It is just not true.

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 20
not to mention you could see a voltage drop giving you even less power.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1741
haha i think troy knows what hes doing

Gold Member

Post Number: 1742
Your statement about them sounding sloppy was still pulled out of your azz imo. If you can back it up ill let it go, but I've used them for years with no problems and too many people come on forums making statements they can't prove.

Did you clamp and test 4kw to your btls? I've tested damn close from my mcd 4kws. I've heard and installed many subs (worked as an installer for a while too) so I know there are better sounding subs, but that does not mean the btls sound bad by any means.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1743
If you want to sweat the technicalities of it, how many times during a song do you think your impedence is changing? You can't just go off your rise at peak anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2598
MIKE, TROY KNOWS WHAT BTL'S ON MEMPHIS 4K'S SOUNDS LIKE. LOL HE HAD FOUR OF EACH ON A TRIPLE ALT SETUP.

The BTL's rae kinda n the same boat as the HW... Really need more than 2k to really get them to shine. I will try to get a vid today of the 18" Alpha's on a RD 5750. Did I mention that I have a 3rd on the way. Now I just got to finalize my wall plans. I would not go with the Memphis 4K. There are much more effiecent amps in that power range. I am not a fan of the new M-Class(purple ones). The older siver ones were a lot better better IMO. (admittingly-I have not owned a 4k, But I have had plenty of Memphis M-Class and PR series amps.)

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2731
ROFL @ Mike saying the BTLs are not musical. The one you heard must have been in a horrible install.

As far as the sub getting "sloppy" after time with more than RMS power on it, that sounds like you pulled the idea out of your @ss. I ran my SSD at 1200+ for a year with no problem. Sounded pretty good for a lower end sub.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1743
"MIKE, TROY KNOWS WHAT BTL'S ON MEMPHIS 4K'S SOUNDS LIKE. LOL HE HAD FOUR OF EACH ON A TRIPLE ALT SETUP. "

quad alty setup - get your shiit straight mark

Gold Member

Post Number: 2599
I stand corrected, lol "-_-"

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
I had heard that a co-designer of RE Audio designed the BTL's...is this true?

so are you guys saying BTL's are better or XXX's are better(if price was not a factor) because those XXX's are really pricey!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2600
They are different type of subs.. The XXX will like sound better. Again I dont think the BTL or the HW is the right subs for you,

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9954
Stop comparing the BTL to the XXX. That is a completely invalid comparison, one is an SQ sub the other is designed for SPL.

If you really have to compare:

Fi Q = RE XXX

Fi BTL = RE MT

That does not mean they are the same sub BTW! Just the way you need to think of it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1733
i think i can speak for others when i cay that fi dosnt have a sub that can COMPETE against the XXX in terms of SQL.

they simply dont have a sub that can take 2krms and sound that good doing it. not that the btl sounds bad or anything its just not a sq sub like the xxx is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
Perfect Mark!!

Thank you for that bit of info!

and thank you everyone who has helped me in learning about these different sub's much appreciated! =] I will definitely keep you guys up dated on what i decide to do and put more pictures up of the blazer for you M.S.

Thank you very much!!!!

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 24
I will back my claims up. I own a bench myself and have access to a freinds lab in AZ.

Do you really want to put 4000rms to a btl?

Not a tone but say an actual 2 songs or something of that nature?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1747
plenty of people put 4K on a BTL

those subs are beasts

Gold Member

Post Number: 2732

quote:

I will back my claims up. I own a bench myself and have access to a freinds lab in AZ

h00ray! Your friend has a lab! We have this thing called expierence. Something you really don't seem to have.

quote:

Do you really want to put 4000rms to a btl?

Are you that ignorant? Troy just stated that he ran 4krms on one of his BTLs daily.

Please stfu, you are making a fool of yourself.

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudioislikecrack

Post Number: 50
Mike troy knows his ish.look at his thread for his new gear.

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 28
Hey nick go suck one. I'd bet your a young kid.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11136
Word, Nick is such a n00b. He knows nothing.....I guess he just gets lucky with his constant 150+ burping on a single 15 in a trunk lol. Nick is easily one of the more helpful/knowledgeable guys left on here.

You're a jackass Mike. Just cause someone is young doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. That comment further proved how ignorant you are. I haven't read all the thread or intend to read it but do you have experience with either sub Mike? This isn't a call out at all, this is me trying to figure out where you are coming from with all these claims.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1748
well said yanks - nick v knows his stuff

Bronze Member

St. paul, Mn Usa

Post Number: 29
I guess but if you want to see the facts let me know.

Can the guy saying he has 4000 watts on one be able to test in car?

If i am wrong i will give you 1000.00 usd
If you are wrong admit your lack of knowledge.

All we need is a good clamp, not one with only peak hold and a quality DMM.

I know that subwoofer will meet thermal and mechanical limits before 4000 rms on real world music.
we are talking actual music not tones or 70hz + music.

I have first hand with the btl's and many other subwoofers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2733

quote:

Hey nick go suck one. I'd bet your a young kid.

Wow, you are the one sounding like a young kid.

quote:

Nick is easily one of the more helpful/knowledgeable guys left on here.

Thanks Yanks and Daniel :-)

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 790
such a kiss @ss yanks

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7298

quote:

I guess but if you want to see the facts let me know.

Can the guy saying he has 4000 watts on one be able to test in car?

If i am wrong i will give you 1000.00 usd
If you are wrong admit your lack of knowledge.

All we need is a good clamp, not one with only peak hold and a quality DMM.

I know that subwoofer will meet thermal and mechanical limits before 4000 rms on real world music.
we are talking actual music not tones or 70hz + music.

I have first hand with the btl's and many other subwoofers.

Yes, you can see 4k from that amp "in-car".

If loaded to around 1ohm reactive (after rise) and given at least 14.4V as rated. Your nominal load would likely be much lower (1/4ohm DCR likely), but YES you can see 4k.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9959
" All we need is a good clamp, not one with only peak hold and a quality DMM. "

Right there. Just proved you have no idea how to properly test amplifier output. You also need a high power resistive load, speakers don't work, they are reactive and will give a false high reading.

Then you need a scope to view the waveform, and a basic DMM. Clamp meter is not needed unless you need to measure efficency, then you would need it to read current draw into the amp.

Any so called test not done according to that method is not valid. There is no way to do it without a scope. None. Zip. Thanks for playing, come again.

More on this subject:

http://www.bcae1.com/measpwr.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2734
M.S. is completely correct.

Good job explaining.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3631
owned.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1745
Nick v knows his stuff.

You're trying to change the subject to prevent justifying your statement:

"If you put more than RMS on them like some people on the forums they will become sloppy over time and lessen the life of the subwoofer"

You admit that people put more than rms on them yourself, so why are you arguing against what you stated?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2606
Wow. I will vouche for Nicks knowledge. Yall got everything else covered with everything else.
Hang out Mike.. You will learn something. Not trying to sound like azz. You obvoiusly have decent knowledge in car audio, but there are a few on here that you might not want to have a d!ck measuring contest with and you seem to have whipped "it" out with a few "Mandingo's"........ if you know what I mean..

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1750
haha mandingo

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 465
haha

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07