Little help

Username: Nickadam55

Post Number: 1
i have to rockford fosgate p3's with a fosgate 500 watt amp. the subs are DVC both at 4ohms. i know how to bridge them to two. i have a little problem i have a Dual XDVD8183(great by the way) and im not to sure on how to wire the amp to it. it has a SINGLE output for a subwoofer as of right now i just have an RCA splitter on it to my amp. but i think its mono and sounds like crap dono??? should i run a hi-lo adapter to them?? or is there smothing on the head unit i just dont knmow about?? is a hi lo adapter better?? plaese somone help me

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7287
Sub output is usually a mono signal.
The 1M to 2F splitter you are using now is your best option w/ that HU.

I have installed quite a few of those Walmart Dual Hu's and they are just short of horrible.
The output signal is crappy and they have a VERY high failure rate.

As for sub performance.
What box and vehicle do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9895
I hope you meant "great" as sarcasm b/c dual stuff is crap.

All subwoofer outputs are mono regardless whether there is 1 or 2. Almost all decent HUs have 2 though.

Using a RCA splitter is the correct way to connect a HU with 1 sub out jack. An LOC adapter will give you a worse signal than RCAs, not better, as well as lose any subwoofer controls on the HU.

Bottom line is you have done the right way. But get a better HU.

Post Number: 5
so i know it sounds better if i use a LOC do you think that is a better option? im am very prone to my HU due to all the great features it offers( none in the sound catagory now :-(). i am looking at a new alpine HU.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7288
No.

A LOC should not give you better sound when using your current HU.
The direct RCA connection will be better.

The only way I could see it sounding better would be if your HU's preamp is fried.

Post Number: 7
I have had a LOC in it before it i measured the DB's and it was significantly higher. the preamp i dont think is fried it is nearly new and i bought it brand new. dosent it have somehting to do with impedence?? so should i just trash the deck or what?? what does LOC stand for anyways?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7289
LOC = Line Output Converter

What "DB meter" do you have?
The boomstick?

The subs were likely not louder, but rather you were getting a higher signal to the amp and were clipping it to death.

If if a LOC in fact sounds better than using the RCA sub output on your HU...that HU is the biggest hunk of $hit ever.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9903
LOC = line out converter. the thing you've been calling an adapter.

There is no way it will sound better. You had to have done something wrong with the RCA connection, maybe set the gain wrong or a setting on the HU wrong.

And an alpine HU would be a very good choice, just about everything they make is great.

Post Number: 8
Okay i want to spend around 250 for a new deck then i pefer alpine what would you reccommend im up for suggestions

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9904
Canaan beat me.

And it has nothing to do with impedance btw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7292
Oh...and in my experience, the dirt cheap Pioneer dehp2000 sounds better than that Dual Hu.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9905
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-CDA-9886-CD-MP3-CDA-9866-IPOD-CAR-STEREO-PLAYER_W0QQi temZ400032818539QQihZ027QQcategoryZ39754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That. Is one of the best HUs out there.

Post Number: 9
thank you im off to ebay!

Post Number: 10
good news i just purchased an alpine 9886 should be here in a week. what do you think of the sound quality i should be getting now?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2293
what do you think.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9909
You've certinly got the HU covered with that. If theres still a problem anywhere its the sub and amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us