Good 12" sub

Username: Dudeman135

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to put a 12" sub in a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Huge trunk, but don't want to go too big and add a bunch more weight.

I'm looking to spend 250 or under for the sub/sealed enclosure. I'm used to a 10" MTX Blue Thunder sub in a sealed enclosure that I've had for 10+ years with a Profile AP600 300W RMS at 4 Ohms as a reference point. I'll probably get the same or similar Profile AMP. I listen to mostly Heavy Metal-Metallica, Queensryche, Dokken...but occasionally throw in some 80s bass like Ice-T, 2 Live Crew, etc.

Suggestions on a good sub/enclosure would be great. I'd prefer a sub already in a sealed enclosure, but could purchase separately. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Blazerboy

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 636
What are you looking for in your sub? More sound quality (SQ) or pure loudness (SPL)?

Whats your budget for a sub, box, amp, and wires?

Post Number: 2
I would say probably a balance of both, with a slight edge towards pure loudness (SPL) over sound quality (SQ). I was estimating $250 for the sub/sealed enclosure and the amp that I mentioned is currently around $110. I also need a line output converter which is about $20. So approx $380-400 total.

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 2754
Well if you want the kick drums and all the good stuff that come along with heavy metal you're going to want to lean more towards SQ IMO.

Additionally, I would suggest getting a better amp, unless you are very satisfied with the Profile.

Post Number: 3
In my price range, do you have any suggestions as far as specific sub/enclosure/amp?

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3595
I'll sell you my 12" Revolution Design Alpha v1 for 170 shipped.

1000wrms recommended.

I've never heard it in a sealed enclosure, but it does really well ported at 32hz IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLside, Pronounced: ... U.S.A.

Post Number: 550
I have an Alpha v.2 i'd like to sell, sorry thieves lol

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3597
don't be sorry, I posted first :-) you can sell on CA or something.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9825
Sweet car, get some pics up.... and you play good music, double win

My rec for sub would be a RD Sonance or Fi Q.... for an amp, profile is not that good, you can get far better amps.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2361
How much power are you wanting to run?

Post Number: 4
How much power? As much as I can buy for about $400 total for amp/12" sub/sealed enclosure. Most bang for the buck. But I want it to sound good, not just loud booming, not into turning heads just want it to sound good and want to be able to feel it. And thanks for the offers of used subs, but I'd prefer to buy new even though I know worked in subs sound better.

Nd4spd18 wanted some pics, here's one of the car and trunk where I'll be putting the sub. The battery is actually in that little compartment on the left in the trunk.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9836
Well $400 does not get you a lot (of good stuff) in the car audio world but we can work with it.

I would talk to kevin holden, hes an RD dealer, and get a good deal on one of RDs SQ based subs. Then maybe a small 500w or so kicker or phoenix gold amp. After choosing that stuff you can prob find a prefab sealed box to save on cost there. (careful though it has to be a good one)

That battery in the back design will be very handy for your wiring, and big 3 upgrade ain't needed for the amount of power you will have.

Post Number: 5
Ok, would this setup rock?

JL Audio 12W3v3-4
Sonic Sub Box: 1H12-1.0
Phoenix Gold Ryval V8001

Good combo? The Amp has speaker level inputs, can I splice into existing speaker wires and be good to go or is it still better to use a line output converter to feed it with RCA cables? If so, what is a decent one? The one I have in the other vehicle is an AudioLink PowerLink II and apparently it's discontinued, which sucks because that thing rocks, had a high pitched whine in several vehicles and that completely eliminated it. Love that thing. But I'm sure there are other decent alternatives if I need one?

I've seen some reviews of amps in general talking about Amps powering off to prevent from overheating. I've never experienced before, are certain Amps prone to overheating or is it just a matter of having all the settings all the way up and turning your head unit to the max also?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9876
JL stuff is very overpriced... how much are you paying for that? You could almost surely get something better for the same price from a brand like RD.

Post Number: 6
Here's price, haven't searched around yet for lower price and am not dead set on that, just thought it sounded like a good combo:

JL Audio 12W3v3-4 $169.99
Sonic Sub Box: 1H12-1.0 $24.99
Phoenix Gold Ryval V8001 $149.99

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9882
Thats actually not bad.... JL is good stuff.

Only problem is that box.... at that price you can be almost sure its going to be crap. Box needs to be made from 3/4 MDF at least for good performance and any kind of longevity.

Post Number: 7
It looks like a pretty solid box surprisingly and it does happen to be 3/4 MDF. Out of stock currently, so hoping they restock soon.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7590_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1H12-1.0.html?utm_source =froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us