Something weird is happening

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1412
so im driving down the road and i hit a bump, my front speakers went a little softer. then i hit another bump and they came back to their normal volume. this is happening everytime i drive now and its pissin me off lol.

i think its the wiring but amp to speaker wires are all good. ground is good.

any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9807
RCA connections at amp or HU

If its both speakers then it has to be something upstream from the amp

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2717
It could be the RCAs, but it also could be the amp.

quote:

If its both speakers then it has to be something upstream from the amp

Not always true. There could be a cold solder joint in the amp. Had it happen before :-(

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9809
Guess I should have said from the amp up... sure it could be the amp

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4962
I had this happening to me it was the rca's just make sure there tight. Nick makes a great point though so check all your wiring.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1413
yeah after work im gonna run home and see what the d@mn deal is cuz its not playing as loud as it normally is. ill give yal an update later on tonight to see if its something other than the RCAs.

also on another note. when i had my amp installed, they didnt use new speaker wire. i dont know if this is a n00b question or not but shouldnt they have used aftermarket speaker wire to my x-overs? just a thought.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

Phnom Penh Cambodia

Post Number: 1771
do you have an ipod hooked up to the hu??? i had that happened to me too before because the cable from the HU connected to the ipod wasnt on on the way, i didnt realize it until i looked at it. it was loose because i always get new songs so im always updating my ipod. i thought it was my speakers too at first...

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1415
nah i dont have the ipod cable hooked up. i do have the XM tho so maybe that could be it? idk im gonna check all my connections into the HU tonight and see if it isnt a simple fix.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1418
alright guys, UPDATE...

so i took out the HU and the connections were fine. RCAs were still snug and idk what else to look for? Do you think it could be my amp? what about the x-overs? im just throwin stuff out there lol

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4625
what else is on the front speaker amp?
deffinatly sounds like a loose wire. If the speakers are easy to get to, try running a temp (amp to speakers) wire to it and drive for a while and see if it changes anything. if not, then amp, rca's, and hu are next. Also amp ground and rem and pos are good..

also try ohming out the speaker. A bad coil maybe causing shorting...Unlikly with both, but it can happen.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2719

quote:

when i had my amp installed, they didnt use new speaker wire.

They used the stock wiring for the speakers on an aftermarket amp? If so then it could be a bad connection.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1419
its hard as h3ll to get wire from the cabin to the door. on the passenger side there a bunch of stuff in the way so you cant get to the opening. if anyone has a way to do this then please SPEAK NOW! hah

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9821
Good installs take lots of time and effort, taking apart whatever is nessecary to do things like run wire.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 846
You have a wire loose. Check all your connections. You said it was the front correct? Check them first.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1421
i only run front speakers. i have a 4channel bridged to them. im gonna check everything again and see whats going wrong with the connections.

thanks to everyone for helping me out so far

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4629
remove the speaker wires at the amp and ohm them out from there. May indicate a problem if its too high or low.
If the speaker is 4 ohm, it should read ~3.7-4.3 or so on the meter. As long as its close to 4 ohm. Also while the speaker wires are off, check for a ground fault on each leg of them.
Alot easier then opening the doors..yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us