Help building my system

Username: Jasonjones

Post Number: 1
This is my first post in these forums. I came here referred by Mark Brockman to get assistance from you audio-enthusiasts to help me finalize my decisions on my system-to-be.

I'll start by adding that I am quite novice to the car audio field, I understand the basics of technical aspects of Amps/Subs/RMS/Wiring etc but only in an amateur aspect.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition

Aftermarket at this time:
200 Amp Alternator.
2 pairs of Infinity Kappa's
2 12" Alpine Type R's in a dual ported box
Rockford Fosgate P100.d
Rockford Fosgate P400
And for a head unit I'm using a Kenwood DNX5120
This is all wired using 4 gauge wire.

Now onto my questions regarding my future system.

I would like to spend around $4,000-$5,500 on this system and am aiming for something that could be a daily driver as well as potentially in the future be used in competition.

My favorite music is Rap and Hip Hop so I would like subs with a large amount of bass and can hit the low-lows. I will break my questions into separate paragraphs to allow for easier answering.

Subs - I have heard good things about the Fi-BTL 18" and was leaning towards this Sub as box size would not be an issue. I would like to have dual subs even 18's and these seem ideal. (Opinions on other comparable Subs are welcome!)

Amplifier(s) - Now the problem that I run into is finding an affordable Amp that could power two of these... But I wouldn't like to spend $2,000 to get a large Amp to power these beasts unless it cannot be helped. I was thinking about getting 2 Kicker 08ZX2500.1 as according to sites these are 2,500 RMS each and as I understand Kicker underrates their Amplifiers by a reasonable margin. Is this is a good idea or should I attempt to keep with a single 5,000 RMS+ Amplifier? Or should I seek even higher seeing as people have wired BTL-18's to take more than 2,500?

Components/Tweeters - At the moment my doors/columns in the front of the truck do not have the ability to wire Components or Tweeters, and my question is should I invest in a custom install at $100 per pillar to mount the Tweeters or just build a box myself to house multiple sets of Components then mount this ontop of the sub box? Also if the Tweeter custom installation is a good idea which Tweets should I go with? Regarding Components, should I invest in possibly finding a custom door panel for the front and rear doors to allow for multiple Components to be wired? If anyone has access to a website that has custom parts of this nature that would be awesome.

Etc - I plan on running Dynamat Extreme Door kits and in the rear of the vehicle from the 2nd row back in the floor/headliner and sides as well as the rear door. Is it worth the investment to purchase the Dynamat Extreme or are there comparable materials out there that would give the same effect? I plan on doing the Big3 and have my eye on a Stinger 0/1 Gauge kit is this worth the investment or are there other kits out there that are better/more affordable so I can stretch my budget somewhere else? Regarding power I understand that the more power the safer everything is as well as the louder/better it will sound. With that said will 1 200 Amp Alternator with 0/1 Gauge, Yellow Top under the hood and Yellow Top wired in the rear, 20 Farad Capacitor and everything grounded to the frame provide enough power to run 5,000+ RMS effectively without dimming and/or lowering overall voltage to the Amplifier? I have no problem with room as I said so I don't mind putting 4 batteries in my rear. And my final question is regarding putting a second alternator in if needed.... Does anyone have experience in this and could help me out? And is there a larger Alternator out there for an 01 Expedition than 200 Amp?

In advance thank you for all of your answers and I apologize for coming into your forums and creating a massive entry. And I did search through the forums as much as I could as not to ask questions that were already previously answered. Again thanks ^^

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2212
damn dude, long as* read. I only read up to the amp part, I'd go with one 5k amp like your buddy mark has a RD 5750 or you could get an atomic 5K. Or I've seen a Cactus 7k for 1 grand plus a little more.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1715
A lot to anwer lol. Try knukonceptz for your wire. Try to run at least 2 runs of 1/0 wire for your power and another 2 of ground.

You would definitely benefit from a 2nd alternator and MLA module. A total of 400a in alternator would really do you well for daily and competition.
While there are higher output single alternators for your vehicle I would stay away from them because they often lack output at idle speeds, which is what you will want.

3 good batteries total should be enough If you do the alternators, if not then at least 4 batteries will probably be necessary. The type of battery can make a big differenc too, like going from those optimas to kinetik or powermaster.
Some deka intimidators would even be better for you,

Second skin would be another great choice for sound deadener, but all the good ones are expensive.

I've loved my 18" BTLs, and highly recommend them. While you could do a ton of power each, 2-3000rms each is plenty to get them moving, especially stepping up from what you have now.

As far as tweeters stick them in the pillars instead of junking up the back but that's all you.

Hope I helped, I'm not rereading on my phone lol.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1716
Atomic cactus sounds, American bass, sundown, DAT all are good companies for amps. Might want to try the 2500s from DAT to do something different and less expensive than kicker.
They're supposed to put out around 3kw I believe.
Their forum is on stevemeadedesigns.com under the manufacturers.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2218
yeah those DAT 2500's look sexy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us