Big3 update/review

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3582
After finishing my big 3 tonight on my 2001 4.3L Blazer, I have to agree and support M.S. here, it doesn't make much of a difference unless you have an HO alt, or maybe running more power and having serious dimming issues (which you should have a HO alt if it's a prob anyway). Another thought, if your alt isn't 100amps or more stock, this may make a more noticeable difference.

I'm running a single RD 1000.1D, along with an RD 85.4, gain moderately set. Before the only time I really noticed dimming was on really heavy hitting songs, and the dimming wasn't really that bad.

The reasons for doing the big3: to raise my idle voltage, and in case I add a HO alt some time this summer.

That being said, my idle voltage is relatively the same, was sitting at 13.8-13.9, not sits 14.0-14.1

Like I said not big a difference. I haven't tried playing my subs "hard" yet, but I don't think it will really matter.

I used knu 0ga.
Batt(+) to Alt(+)
Alt bracket to Batt (-)
Batt(-) to frame ground

I did not replace the factory wiring, I simply added to it, and yes my surfaces were scraped clean before I bolted down the new wire.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9782
If we want to get technical, the battery to frame ground wire is the only one that will make any difference at all if you don't have an HO alt, and may not even notice that if you don't have a big amp.

It is good to have it done though now it's ready for a HO alternator installation, those 3 wires are absolutely necessary for that. DB Electrical makes a 200 amp for that model blazer for $200.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3584
yeah I've def been thinking about running 3-4Kwrms this summer just to see what it's like, but I think I may end up buying a truck first-prob $3000 at most.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3586
anyway, I will be taking pics and posting them as soon as I have the time, for those with the same vehicle.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3598
pics:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2253
looks nice, is that KLMX wire?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2551
any other batts besides the duralast? Nice job on the wiring. looks like a clean install.

Snow- it is kru wire

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9860
Very nice example of a properly done big 3.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2255
I was thinking of using that wire to do my Big 3 too. How was it?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2554
Snow, YOU can get by with 18 ga. speaker wire with that rinky-dink setup that you have, lol j/k bro

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2257
haha. you're right.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3600
it's kolossus wire actually, it gets a lil bit less flexible after using a torch to soder the crimps, but it's still pretty good.

I bolted the alt bracket to batt neg if yall can see that.

thanks for the compliments, I hope I helped someone out here.

that last pic was for someone on CA, I linked this thread to him, he has the same vehicle as I do.

Mark, I just have the batt up front, I think it's 800cca

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9867
How is that power wire secured to the frame... would have been a good idea to loom that also.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3603
the power wire is zip tied to the existing wiring that goes back that far. I didn't have enough loom at the time, so it's loomed as it goes past the exhaust.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us