Entry level setup questions

Username: Diamondcut

Post Number: 1
Hello all! New to the forum, long time car audio enthusiast and pretty inexperienced in this realm.

Looking to set up a budget system for the wife's car, a 1992 Honda Civic 4DR. She mostly listens to alternative rock, metal, electronic, trance, etc. where SQ is the most important. Just looking for a sub/amp only. Looking to mount the sub in the trunk of course.

Only thing I have purchased so far is a 1.2 cu/ft sealed 10" box and this can be changed if necessary but we would prefer not to.

Looking to spend around 100 or less for the sub, and around 100 or less for a good quality amp. I have been able to find amps for around 50% of retail; so suggesting something commonly found for $100 on ebay is fine.

A buddy of mine can sell me a 10" kicker comp for $20, which is a nice deal no matter what, but I figure I should still get something better for her, regardless of that deal. I think this kicker sub may even be find for mid volume for the music she likes, but it is quite hard for me to untangle all this information on the net and make a good decision.

Subs I have been looking at are the:

CDT Audio EF-100 10" woofer
Image Dynamics CTX104 10" woofer
RE Audio RE10 10" woofer
Infinity REF1052W 10" woofer
Orion Cobalt C2 102 10" woofer
Diamond Audio DS10D2 10" woofer

Head Unit will almost def. be a Pioneer DEH-1100MP.

Thanks in advance for any help you provide.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2356
Ascendant Audio Assasin on around 350w. But I would stuff that box with a solid material to bring the airspace down in the box if you go with the AA.

Also, I would go with a better Head Unit if your car doesn't have an amp for it's speakers. If theres no amp, look for something that does 20w rms per cahnnel or more, will make a noticeable difference.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 152
if someone on here shows me how to use paypal to accept payment,

i can sell you 2 12" JL W0's in a double 12 sealed box. they have great SQ.

$100 shipped.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your help guys, I was looking at the Ascendant Audio Assassin last night via the recommendations on another forum, they look nice. What is the best way to modify our current enclosure from 1.2 to 1.0 (reccomended by AA for the Assassin) without making a permanent modification?

MisterLDR, i will have to pass on your offer, I am looking to still have a lot of trunk space left after the enclosure has been installed. Thank you!

Post Number: 3
Add to the list

Subwoofers:

Ascendant Audio Assasin 10"

Dayton RSS265HF-4 Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm 10"

Amps:

Phoenix Gold V752 Phoenix Gold Ryval 500 Watt 2-Channel Amplifier (RMS 120 watts x 2 channels) (RMS 250 watts single channel)

I am finding this really hard to decide.

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 751
As someone who sells both CDT and Dayton, I'd recommend the Dayton Reference 10" over the CDT EF-100 sub. It's one of the best budget subs around. You can get a review of the 12" version here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/klippel-reviews-driver-specs/841-dayton-refe rence-12-hf.html

If interested, shoot me an email at mike@exigeaudio.com and I can assist you.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 14733
mistake - delete

Post Number: 4
Bump.

Just picked up the Pioneer DEH-1100MP for $62 and a new Kicker ZX400.1 amp for $120. still looking hard at the ascendant audio assassin 10"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us