Loud SQ sub(s) on 1000w.....any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2327
Well spring time is coming up and I'm putting my 93' Z28 back on the road soon, but I'm still going to keep my winter car as my daily driver for a while, probably until schools out. Gonna put the 12" Storm in the Camaro for my sq vehicle.

Old setup- 12" LA storm x1 (tc-3000) ported @ ~30hz off 1200w. Sounded MEAN down low (like down to 20hz), kept up awesome on the really fast kick drums and reproduced guitar bass very smoothly. Lacked up top a bit (mainly due to over sized box and low tuning, as well as being in a trunk)

Looking for- Something with equal or better SQ, flatter response, and louder in all frequency's off ~1000w (gonna be hard to replace the low end of that 3hp motor lol). Listen to a lot of genres of music, but mainly punk rock or stuff with fast double kick bass drums and bass guitars. Going in the trunk of a 98' grand prix and have 5cf gross to work with, but that's gonna be tight so less it better.

If you recommend sub(s) please recommend rough box type as well, just so there is no confusion. Willing to try anything from single to quad sub setup.

***No budget! I buy mostly used anyways. Plus it will be another month or so before I do this so I have time to look around for good deals

Hope that's enough detail as to what I am looking for. Thanks E!

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1034
XXX

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2408
sorry for the jack, but what part of Illinois are you from?

04/05 XXX would work

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2332
Just outside Peoria area. You think 1000w is enough for an XXX? I'm guessing that's 15" ported?

I wouldn't mind trying 410", 3-412", or 215" sealed, but the amount of good low power subs still produced is getting more slim. My last 4 setups have been single sub, so I guess I'm just wanting to try something different. I even thought of doing a bunch of 8 inchers just for the "wtf" factor. A trunk full of midbass could be fun too

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

You choose to be ignor...

Post Number: 1408
1 IDmax or 2 idqv3s

Gold Member

Post Number: 2410
Morton, Il. by chance?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3437
x2 phil lol and check your facebook.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5032
Be different...

Try to find it cheaper though lol

Generally, a driver with a low Fs and Qts of .32 or greater makes it suitable for sealed. A Qts of .2-.45 should also do well in ported too. It should do well in either.

I would throw these numbers in WinISD and see what Qtc you come up with. (it should default around .7 for optimum damping and flat response) http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iDMax12V3D2-spec.pdf

They say 1.3cubes but I dunno that sounds kinda small. Thats if you want to do sealed I guess lol.

Or do their recommended ported tuned low.

From reviews I've read and whatnot it's an amazing SQ sub, ultra efficient, and has the ability to get very loud. I would love to own one someday lol.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2338
I'm actually from hanna city, about 30min from morton. Are you from morton?

The IDmax would be a sweet sub, but I don't think there would be enough an output difference between one 12" to another 12" sub to make me happy. I'll keep it in mind though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2411
used to drive for Star Transport in Morton. Been all over, was just curious. I lived in Southern Illinois. Benton, Herrin, West Frankfort area. Between Mt. Vernon and Marion. I moved back to Louisiana.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 143
FI BL 15?

i didn't read but is this going in the z28 or the DD?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9712
Loud and SQ don't often go together. A Fi Q or old XXX would be great. Two of them would give you the output you want, if you doubled your power.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6247
04/05 XXX, SI Mag, ID MAX, Adire Brahma MKII

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6248
btw.. from my experience you won't lose the low end if you run the XXX or Brahma.. they are built for that :-)

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2341
Will take everything into consideration. Since I'm only running 1000w, that's why I'm resorting on more subs to get loud.

This 8" idea is really getting to me. like 4-6 of them would be cool, maybe 8 of them but depends on power, box, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLside, Pronounced: ... U.S.A.

Post Number: 528
IA Flatlyne?

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 842
IA Flatlyne
Fi Q
SSA Icon
Mach5 IXL
Sound Splinter RL-p

are all good choices.

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudioislikecrack

Post Number: 11
i been flirting with the multiple 8's idea for a while too.i was gonna do dd 1508's.if you go with it lemme know how ya like it

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4927
rd alpha
fi q
mag
xxx
idmax

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2344
I kinda forgot about the DD 8's, will have to look into them. I remember Canaan had that vid of one and it looked loud. Also looking at RE 8's and AA assasin 8's.

Maybe even an 18" sealed? Man I am all over the place with ideas lol. Heck if I find an LA storm or TC-3k 15" then I'll get that.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2346
"i didn't read but is this going in the z28 or the DD?"

Going in my daily driver /Grand Prix.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us