2 or 4 channel amp?

Silver Member
Username: Stamant

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 442
I currently have an ED Nine.2x to power my front stage which are the CDT HD-62s. My question is do I need a 2 or 4 channel amp for my rear stage which consists of two CDT DRT25 tweets and two CDT coaxials? Both front and rear stages were previously run by the single Nine.2x.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12405
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/rearfill.html

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 443
Yes, I have read that before. I understand from a true SQ standpoint rear stage is not good. It is a matter of preference for me. I originally had the front stage powered by the Nine.2x and stock rear speakers powered by the head unit just as "fill." I was not happy with this so I added the coaxials in the rear doors and tweets in the rear pillars off the Nine.2x as well. It sounded much better to me. Given that, what should I use to power the rear coaxials and tweets?

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 444
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 361
I'd Get a 2 channel bridge it to mono for ur rear fill.

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 445
K, why? Looking for some reasons and explanation.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 363
That link wolf put up explains it better than I can. I believe its towards the bottom. The tweets might be overkill though. What's the ratings on those speakers/tweets. I had a 4ch amp bridged 3and4 and turned the gain way down worked great I like a full sound too but my coaxs in the back was a lil too high

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 447
Im thinking about selling my Nine.2x and getting a 4 channel amp. Wouldn't this be better? The coaxials are 90W rms, not sure on the tweets. The front comps are 180W rms.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 364
That kicker seems like it'd work for what you need. Do you have a crossover for the tweets if not you should get one.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2157
dont listen to this guy.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2158
i'd say just ditch the rearfill and keep what you have, is it not loud enough for you or what? It should be plenty loud.

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 448
Snow, I currently have the Nine.2x running front comps, rear coaxials and rear tweets. It is loud, but I would like to give the front comps more power. I was always told i should have used a 4 channel amp instead of the 2 channel for all the mids and highs. So now I have some extra cash and just looking to improve. My sub stage consists of two 12" alphas each off an ED Nine.1. I'm happy with the subs.

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 449
Please help.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 368
snow ur a douchebottle, some ppl like rear fills, i do, i love full sound balanced

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12408
kyle, if your car was set up properly for music, you wouldn't need rear fill and you'd still have full, encompassing sound. That aside, there is a place for rear fill, as I noted in the article I wrote and pasted a link to which some claimed to have read yet continued to ask qestions that it clearly and decisively answered.

So let's do it again for the inept and reading challenged of teh group.

DVD playback in 5.1 to 7.1 discrete audio requires center and rear fill. If you have a sedan or large vehicle with rear passenger, rear fill is very helpful if you care at all about the people in the back.
That said, you want to run rears in mono on a bridged amp because it eliminates the tenancy for "float" where the signals from front and rear cancel each other and you get the sensation of the audio floating around the cabin instead of having a clear front stage and imaging. You also want to use midrange speakers for the rears, not full range or component sets as the tweeters in back will be too bright without the use of an L-Pad/attenuation circuit to squash the treble from the rears to a manageable level. Better off just using a band filter and trimming your mids from 500-5KHz.

In short, use a 4 channel amp. put the fronts on two channels, and bridge the rear channels to drive midrange speakers in the rear, wired in series.
that'll olve your problem.

as I explained in the article I wrote so I wouldn't have to keep typing this sh*t over and over again like I just did anyway.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 372
well i guess i didnt have the front comp setup right. i did the best i could with what little knowledge i have. i never had this "float" problem either. i had it setup to were you couldnt tell where the sound was coming from which i thought was ideal. i used a 4ch amp but i didntt run mono on the back (3,4) but i adjusted the amp accordingly. i tried to make it sound as if i had my bose quite comfort2 headphones on lol. i no longer have the speakers in the back cause the sun messed up the finish and they were 6x9s, so im now lookin for some good speakers to put back there

Silver Member

LA, FL USA

Post Number: 451
glass, thanks for your help. I am not as experienced and it takes some explaining for those who don't do this everyday, obviously. You reccommend bridging the rear channels to drive the midrange speakers in the rear even though they are 4 seperate speakers and are less RMS than the front comps.

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12411
"i had it setup to were you couldnt tell where the sound was coming from which i thought was ideal."
yeah, that's float. that's called destroying your soundstage and imaging. It means the stereo separation is ruined, and the realism you're supposed to hear of the artist being on a stage in front of you, as it was meant to be heard, and as it was recorded and remastered, isn't there.
If you want that effect though, you can just randomly put speakers all over the car and just wire them all in series. No need for stereo or fancy speaker placement issues. Just flood the car with sound. It's a matter of what you want.

"my bose quite comfort2 headphones"
There's another problem. Comparing anything but road noise to something made by BOSE. They are gimmicky junk, and ride solely on name recognition. BOSE hasn't done anything but marketing in regards to innovation since their inception. Also, with the right set of headphones, you should still get psychoacoustic staging.

Paul, the reason for bridging the amp to the rears is so that you can wire them in series and get the same power to them as you would by wiring one speaker to each unbridged channel like the front.
You can attenuate the rear speaker power/volume beyond that point by using the fader on the head unit since the rear speakers are still on the rear channels of the head unit preouts.
Wiring the rear speakers in series makes them mono instead of stereo, which helps to keep the soundstage up front, and not pull the audio to the rear of the car. Ideally you want the musicians to sound as if they are in front of you on a stage.. not floating around your head, so a strong front stage is important and it is equally important not to destroy that effect with the volume of the rear speakers.

Again, this is all based on the idea that you want the audio to sound uncolored and be reproduced as it was intended by the artist. If you'd rather mess with it to fit your personal feeling of how you want it to sound, then all bets are off, and do what works for you.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 376
i know what ur sayin wolf, i guess i cant explain it well enough, you can tell the sound is balanced, you can hear diff notes from both sides. like when a certain sound moves from L to R its like passes in front of you. I checked out alot of other headphones in that price range, and those seemed to have the most bang for my buck, plus the noise canceling. i had my first pair for 2years, tore them up, bose exchanged them for free all i had to do was ship it to them. great for cuttin grass

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2170
damn, well said glasswolf.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 382
Don't be a kissass snowfag

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12419
no problem. I just dislike BOSE for trying to patent things that have been around for decades, by using lawyers to make it sound new and innovative, like a transmission line enclosure, oh wait, I mean a WAVE RADIO!

total crap.

noice canceling is a nice feature. It works well on airplanes for long flights.
I just ended up buying a pair by KOSS or TARGUS or something for a third the price.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 385
i can relate with dislikes like that. i've grown to hate ipods lol. i was thinking about buying a pair of beats by monster, but i heard they "leak" really bad and the bass isn't as good as the bose. im prolly gonna ask you for help when i redo my front stage cause i want a cleaner sound, i heard some polk audio that sounded pretty good just pricey 699, this is my current set

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=3&series_id=3 3&family_id=28&item_id=112892&locale=en_US&p_status=

i just have the older version of these, and like i said my rears are gone but will be getting something for back there too.

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12422
haha yeah I refused to buy an iPod for way more than it's worth. I bought a refurbished Sandisk Sansa and love it.

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 389
i have no idea what that is but i'll look it up. i have a samsung YP-K5J 2gb
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us