Help? one sub not playing

Username: Mcdstvn

Palm Coast, FL United States

Post Number: 1
So approx. 2 months ago I installed my first system into my car. That is to say, my friends installed it. I got online 2 10" xtreme subs (http://www.evosoft.dk/xtreme/xtreme_subwoofers.html)

They worked perfectly up until two days ago, when the one behind my passenger seat stopped playing. It will try to come on occasionally through a song, bump once or twice, then give up. But, on low volume it will stay on a little longer, up to a minute.

The boxes they're in were built by my friend also, who installs systems into peoples car for less than a shop would. He check wiriing including ground, and said everything looked fine.

The boxes sit behind a bucket seat, in a TIGHT squeeze. It was almost impossible to get the cuft of space necessary. There's a metal bar maybe a half in in diameter supporting the seat that rests on the face of the sub, could this have affected it? It also rests on the other, and it is working just fine. I've not been able to take the sub out of the box to see if it's just blown or what the deal is, so I thought I'd ask on here to get some opinions.

If it turns out I need to replace it, suggestions on something reasonable >100
that would sound alright with the amp I have?

Post Number: 2
forgot to mention, running of line out capacitor, or some sh*t like that because of my stock deck.

Post Number: 5
... anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2125
take it out and check if its blown with a DMM. Or just upgrade your whole system and ditch your cap.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 121
^^ x2.

and your saying that there's a metal bar touching the speaker when its playing??!?

thats a NONO.

Post Number: 6
impossible not to have the bar touch
I had custom built boxes made for the back of my pickup. That's the reason I'm trying to trade the damn thing in, there's no room for anything behind the seat.

The speaker was blown, btw. And the other one is fading, but I think that really might be the ground this time because I had it ungrounded before and there was a lot of interference similar to what I'm getting now.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2334
"Or just upgrade your whole system and ditch your cap."

Good call...wow. Like that's going to fix any problem he is having.

You have Line Output Converter (LOC). I would take that box back to wherever you had it built and tell them it's not right. They need to give you your money back or build you a new box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
The line out converter did it? Take the box the sub was in, or the actual converter out from behind the dash?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2342
Sorry I meant the box for the subs, it it doesn't fit right then whoever built it need to make one that does. After all it was built custom to fit in your truck, not half fit in your truck lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
gotcha, just had to clear that up.

Box behind drivers side:
17.5 in tall
17.75 wide
bottom depth 7 7/8 in
top depth 5.75 in.

passenger:
17 in. tall