Wiring nube question

Username: Ssmokey24

Florida

Post Number: 1
whats up guy new to the forum i have 3 kicker l7 dvc 4ohms they were wired for 1 ohm i think(each sub was wired positive to positive and negative to negative than to one bridged channel on the amp) to a lightning audio 1000 class d amp they hit hard but it would only let me turn it up 3/4 and the amp would go to protective mode i touched the amp and it was not hot at all so i went to the kicker website and figured how to wire them to run at 2 ohms now it will play for hours full volume but it hits no where as hard as it used to do i need to just get a bigger amp and run the 3 subs at 2ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9634
Woah there. It is not posssible to wire those for 1 ohm. Or 2 ohm for that matter.

2.67 ohm is your only option wired like this

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qt y=3&woofer_imp=4

Now finding a good amp for that setup is going to be tough. Lightning audio is not very good at all. What you need is a good amp that does a LOT of power at 2 ohms.

Kicker ZX2500.1 comes to mind.

Florida

Post Number: 2
thanks for the quick replay m.s yes your right and the link you posted thats the way i wired the subs this mourning so now that the wiring is out the way your saying i have to find a amp that pushed alot of watts at 2 ohms?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9639
A high powered 2 ohm amp would be ideal yea.

But you will need serious electrical upgrades, HO alternator, battery, big 3 in order to run an amp anywhere near that big.

Of course you can always use less power.... it will just not be as loud.... a good rule to follow is an amp under 1000w RMS (always follow rms wattage never peak) will probably be ok on a stock electrical.

Florida

Post Number: 3
right now i have a 3 fared cap hooked up because it was making my lights blink and the cap stopped it i have a Cadillac deville so a ho alternator would be out of the question i think would it make a differance if i add a extra battery in the trunk?

Florida

Post Number: 4
i just checked and my car has either a 138 amp or a 140 amp that what discount auto parts told me

Florida

Post Number: 5
ok i found a few of my old amps in my closet one is junk (boss)600 watts another is a old school punch 800.2 or i can get my hands on a mmats 3000.1D for $200 from my buddy whats my best bet?thanks in advance

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9651
GM cars are easy to find HO alternators for. DB Electrical, MCR, mechman all make good ones. What year is it.

The battery will help but wil not replace the need for the alternator.

Capacitors do nothing to help the electrical system.

Out of those amps the mmats is miles ahead of the others. But you need the electrical to back it up.

Florida

Post Number: 6
its a 2000 i looked i see no room where i could do it my self everything is cramed in there thats the only thing im afraid of , i guess ill have to get some quots see how much they would charge me to swap it out how many amp alternator should i be looking at?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us