RL-S Box Suggestions

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11014
Sup fellas. Time to seriously begin thinking about my box for my RL-S. I've been wavering between sealed and ported and can't decide. First off, I am not worried about the output difference with sealed and ported, I'm sure either way will be perfectly sufficient for daily for me as I bought this sub not for SPL but for a killer SQ system and the stupid low-end. I've heard the RL-S before in a truck car off about the same power I'll have mine on in a 3.5cuft tuned to 30hz box (correct me if I'm wrong Mike) and I was beyond impressed with it. I haven't heard it in a sealed box though. Now, the reading I have done on this is that a large sealed box is the way to go on this sub.
Let's get to the chase though, I have a design made (courtesy of D-Money) of a 3.0cuft tuned to 30hz that will barely squeeze into my trunk. Now if I go this route, it will be a puzzle finding places for my amps especially considering the size of my amp for the RL-S. If I go sealed, I will have more room for my amps and it will be easier to do. Question is, how big sealed should I go, if I go sealed? I'm thinking probably 3cuft sealed but want to hear from you guys. I understand it gives "optimal box specs" but I'm hoping the few people who have used this sub have experience with different boxes. The sub will be receiving like 1300rms or so we'll say.

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rls12_subwoofer_information.html

Cliffs for you lazy douchenozzles
Sealed or ported for my RL-S
How big sealed
1300rms-ish

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1973
I say go ported, make a amp rack somewhow. there's gotta be some way to mount the amps.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3367
Put them on the inside of the roof^

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11016
Not a chance for an amp rack unless I want to have the amps mounted on a board above the sub which would be retarded.

Good idea but no chance Snow.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11017
Steve, where the hell would I put the Orion in my roof.....think before you post

Damn man.

:-)

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1974
oh yeah, where's the pics?

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 361
What vehicle? Its a Scion isn't it? I can't remember.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11018
Scion TC

Pics tomorrow Snow

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11020
E is being weak and didn't register my last post.....

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3368
I'm trying to help yanks. Don't you take that tone with me -_- LOL I meant like how Marc had his amps in his van.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11265
If you use poly fill in sheet form you can make the box smaller and have room to mount your amps potentially.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 891
shout out to d monayyyyy :-)

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1979
where's my design?

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 892
poly in a ported tho??? me and yanks gonna meet up at a show or sumin see if i cant work my magic :D hes gettin my some pics imma start thinkin some ideas

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11021
I think you left it up Steve's azz last night Snow.

D-Money is coming up with some sh1t and we'll see how it goes.

Not a bad thought Sean.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1981
do not speak to me any more yanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3482
so what happened to teh mag?

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 893
long gone he stepped up his game son!!!

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11023
Well I wouldn't call it long gone considering its still in my car right now lol. I'm going through and upgrading everything in the car minus the HU.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4032
4 cubes sealed

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2859
agree with hunter ^^^

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9553
Do people do any research anymore before trying to design boxes???

According to SS that sub is not meant to be run ported. The recommend sealed only, so that solves your problem right there.

And yes I know it has a ported spec on the page. But the SS guys do not recommend using it from what I have read of their posts.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11027
Lol. Awesome MS. I think that may have been the most helpful post I've read in a while on here.....oh wait. It was useless so it fits in with your theme I guess. Did I do any research? No I fukking bought the sub without an idea in the world, you caught me.....If you didn't know, not many people run this sub so finding threads about it isn't exactly the easiet.....but yes, I did read some threads on it on SSA and CA. And yes, I have read plenty of threads with people running them ported with good results and I have read threads with people running them sealed in many sizes with good results so maybe you can potentially see where I'm coming from with this. Honestly, this thread was meant for about 5-8 on here who have used the sub or have knowledge on the sub. So far some of those people have commented and I appreciate it that.

Hunter and Loudon, thanks fellas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2860
yanks when i was gonna buy the sub i heard it in a hatch like mine off a zx2500 ...

it was in 4 cubes ... upfiring and it slammed and sounded so good ...

i know you have similiar hatch area and power so u should be good with that ... as far as the the way the box will be situated that all depends on the shape of ur hatch...

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9554
iirc i think it was chad lee who asked the owner of SS about that sub and posted a convo where he said he did not recommend using a ported box only sealed... so ask him maybe.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4033
well you can port them imo but it is a rather large enclosure and with subs like these a vmp(s) are used more often. but if i went ported i would go 5 cubes tuned to 30, but i think sealed is better for you application due to your little barbie cars size LOL. jk. or find a 15in vmp to pair it up with

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4034
i think m.s. just read the cliffnotes hahaha. ;)

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11028
Very cool, thanks Mike. That's pretty much the same conditions I'll have in my car so that sounds good.

Thanks Hunter. It looks like sealed is the way to go then. 4 cubes shouldn't be too big of a problem getting to fit in my trunk so thats probably the way I'll go. Watch what you say about my car Hunter lol.

Btw, I just noticed that I never specified the size of the sub but it is 12". I just assumed everyone knew lol.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 894
ouch M.S. i jus designed it the way yanks wanted it okay?!?!?! so back off :-)

yanks so we going ported huh? hit me up on aim

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9559
Thats cool... but im pretty sure seales is what that sub is meant for. You guys should really ask someone like chad who knows more about it.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11032
We aren't going ported. D-Money wants me to go ported but it looks like sealed is the better option so that's what I will do.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 897
well i talked to someone who ran it and it love ported, that wheres i based my design off of... but any yanks its ultamilty to him what he wants so thats it :-)

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SoundSolutionsAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 839
I have talked to a few people who have run theirs ported and they liked the results. But after talking to Mike and SoundSplinter plenty, I still would go with his suggestions. So I vote to go as large sealed as suggested/you can fit. It is an outstanding driver that is really meant for big power, big boxes.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11033
Very good. Thanks Denim. It looks like sealed will be my choice with this driver and it looks like 4cubes sealed shouldn't be too big of a problem to fit in my trunk.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23202
yep mike told me bigger the better on the sealed box. he even told me to do 4 cuft sealed.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 900
chad chimes innnn werrrd to yo momma haha, but yeah i cant wait to hear this biash yanbks

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1998
david, i need to start working on a design. help me out man.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9567
Now that is the info and decision i was trying to spawn

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11036
See MS, that's all I was looking for bud. Now I know from several sources, who I trust since I know they have used the sub, what I should do. And I am thankful for that.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 905
yeah dont pay attention to meee i jus design this sh!t haha, and ight snow hit me up on aim????

Gold Member

Post Number: 2862
tough designing a sealed box?

since when

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 906
umm?? i was talkin about the ported box to fit in his small azz car???

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11042
I'm designing my box Mike....I think I'm capable of doing that lmao

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23203
the beauty of this sub is that it can be in a large sealed and in a ported box that is same size or a bit smaller than sealed. you realize what that means yanks? you can build a box with a port that can be removed and plugged.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11043
Interesting Chad. I'll have to think about that one.

Silver Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 907
Aero ports FTW ;)

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2013
I heard they done tests that 100% of people who own the RL-S turns out to be g*y.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us