Gettin back in the game.

Silver Member
Username: Blazerboy

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 593
Hey guys,

Long story short, I was very into car audio when I just got my license, and had a system in my car for about a year. Got a car that was passed down, had to sell my SUV, and never got around to hooking up the old system. I have never understood systems in cars. Too much trunk rattle for my liking, but to each their own.

I just got another SUV, (a 2003 Pathfinder LE)and want to get back on the sub scene.

I currently have a 15" Fi SSD that has barely been used. I got it a few months before I sold my Blazer, but for the time I did have it, I loved it. I am heading to college next year, and would like to downgrade size wise. I need room for a hockey bag, some coolers, maybe a grill, and just don't have the space for my 15" anymore.

I am thinking of either a 10" or 12". I would prioritize SQ to SPL about %80-%20. I am planning on feeding the sub anywhere from 500-800 RMS. I don't need to be heard from down the block, I just want some nice clean base that will hit the highs and destroy the lows.

I would say my budget for the sub is $400, but obviously the cheaper the better.

With all that said, what would you recommended for me? I have done some searching online, but there are just a bunch of mixed reviews, and it's a whole new market from when I was in my car audio prime.

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12341
look at a single Fi Q series 15" sub in a sealed box for a pathfinder. great sub, fits your requirements.

SQ isn't diameter related with a sub. The diameter only determines the surface area and therefore the output of the sub. SQ is based more on the BL curve of the sub, which is the ability of the magnet to control the driver movement. The better the BL of the sub, the better it performs, generally speaking. The Q series has a great BL and a long excursion so it has great output with great SQ. It's also suited well to a small sealed enclosure.

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 594
Thanks for the reply wolf. I was looking at the Q and RE SE before I posted the thread. I wanted to keep an open mind to new things out there.

Any opinions on the SE or any other subs?

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23179
how about a soundsplinter rl-p 12 in a nice and low tuned ported box. that will sound good with the power you have in mind.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2236
infinity perfect kappa
alpine type-x
ss rl-s
si mag

all come to mind

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 872
RL-p has my vote, and the Q

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6174
I run two RE SE 12"s sealed right now.. SQ wise they are similar to my 04/05 XXX.. output wise it really takes two to equal one although they get louder than you'd think

If you choose to run 600rms and less I'd say go with the SE.. if you decide to run more power look into an IDMAX, SI Mag, Brahma MKII or 04/05 XXX.. to list a few

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6175
I've yet to actually do a burp.. on a TL I metered 141.X .. I'd say in my car being poor for spl.. maybe a 143 @ around 48hz

so given your vehicle you should be able to be in the low 40s with a single SE..

Upload

But still in love with the XXX.. I've yet to hear another sub with sub smooth transitions in reproducing the sound

xxx - se

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4568
A sealed 12 W6 is what you need.
But the Q is a good sub as well as suggested.
Why doesnt anyone never rep the w6? its a great sub.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1384
not many people suggest JL cuz for the money, theres better out there.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6176
^^

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 595
Thanks for all the replies guys. I hit 143.5 with my SSD in my blazer back a year or so ago. Anywhere in the low 140's would be just fine with me.

I will add the RL-p to my list, joining the Q and SE.

Unfortunately I can't go out and listen to these subs where I live. I know I can count on Fi, since I have used the product. If guys like chad and jack recommend something, I definitely consider it. I can look at excursion videos on youtube, but thats doesn't really help my main concern of high quality SQ. Anyways you get what I'm saying.

Just keep the recommendations and reinforcements coming. I may just go with the one I can get the best deal on in the long run, but would prefer knowing I'm getting the best for my situation.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 10991
Can't go wrong with the Mag V3.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11218
"A sealed 12 W6 is what you need.
But the Q is a good sub as well as suggested.
Why doesnt anyone never rep the w6? its a great sub."

I rep the w6v2 but stopped because no one ever seems to want to give it a chance. Its the best sq sub ive heard. (w6v2 12)

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 596
With the RE SE's being assembled in china now, would you recommend going with an older model if I decided to go with RE?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6177
Well I have the new line of SEs and have not had any issues.. as long as the box is built to specs and has clean power there should be no issue

If I had an SE 15"s left I'd give you a good deal.. only got 1 12" left.. not quite sure what I'm doing with it yet lol

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 597
haha alright. You can get a 12" SE off the bay for $154 shipped all day. The 10's go for about $142. It's hard to beat those prices. The Q has good bang for you buck too at $244+ depending on options.

How much does an RL-p usually cost? I know the w6v2 is about $350 correct?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2281
Look at Kevin H's thread on the RD sale.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/544115.html

I'd personally love to grab a classic or 2, they sound very nice. Not to mention the killer price as well.

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 552
i have 2 8" classics that get loud and sound grest doing it to. i also have a 18" rd audio sonance in a 4 cubic foot box sealed with about 1700+ watts going to it. i is freaken loud

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4573
"I know the w6v2 is about $350 correct?"

They can be found for as little as 200 shipped if you shop around.

I belive theres 2 12w6's for sale for 420 shipped on a for sale section somewhere. Cant Always be sure

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 598
Since I have already dealt with Scott, and can be sure of the quality, I think I am leaning toward Fi.

What would sound better on ~500 rms of power, the Fi Q of RE SE?

Would either of them be too underpowered?

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2289
Well the FI Q is rated @ 1000w rms so I would think the SE would be better suited.

I really hate to push RD this hard (nothing personal against the company), but a 12" classic would sound very sweeet and clean, not to mention it is rated at 500w rms and through the sale it's only $130 shipped.

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 599
I will definitely keep them in mind. Does anybody have any personal experience with the sub? It's hard to find any info about them online.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 14661
i can vouch for the RE SE too since im running 2 10s sealed & did 139.8dbs with it ...sq is very good

if its a single sub then IDmax ...

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 600
What would make you say 1 Id max > 1 Re Se?

The Max is rated at 1000 rms, and the ID Q is at 350. I wish they had a model in the middle because 1000 is too much, and feeding the 350 500 would most likely be pushing it too hard.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2293
"Does anybody have any personal experience with the sub?"

Which sub you referring to?

Don't forget about the AA arsenals.

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 601
"Which sub you referring to?"

The Rd's.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2294
I installed one in a friends '01 Grand prix. Ran about 600wrms to a single 12 sealed. First box was 1.35cf after displacement. Sounded really good fresh out of the box, but lacked the higher notes a bit, but played lows strong. On the first few minutes of play we threw some underoath in and kept up extremely well. Second box was 1.15cf after displacement and it played much flatter and of course still sounded great.

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 602
question open to anybody. Have you heard an Fi Q or Re Se or AA arsenals? If so how would you compare them to each other or the RD?

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2295
I heard a pair of 10" SE's tuned to 32hz on around ~1300w(or whatever an US MD1D actually does). They impressed me, got pretty loud and sounded pretty good. Haven't heard one sealed so I can't really compare it to the classic.

Never heard a Q or Arsenal, but I do have the first model AA assassin. IIRC they are about the same in SQ just more output. My AA sounded pretty good as well, box was a bit big though, ~2.7cf @ ~30hz off 500w lol. Really surprised me for such a plane jane sub. Haven't tried it sealed but was told they lack the lows in this application, although ported brings them out nicely.

I don't have much to compare to the RD, I'm just saying its a safe bet for the money, but I can't say it's better/worse than the others on the list.

Bronze Member
Username: Skateguy92

Post Number: 66
I have a couple RE SE 12's in a ported box tuned to 35hz. It gets pretty loud and sounds much cleaner than my Type-R's did.

I have ~1200w going to them. I think they will sound much louder/cleaner in the new box im building though so I have my fingers crossed.

Hey jack, is that SE a d4? New or older model?

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 606
Thanks for the reply's guys. Are there any major differences between models from year to year on the Se's or do they pretty much just switch up the dustcap?

By the way, I listen to mostly rap/hip hop, and like my bass nice and deep.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Do the SE's in a ported box around 33-34hz and I bet it will fit your needs. My truck is loud enough to make my ears hurt, and for $120 a woofer thats not a bad deal.

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 607
I was actually thinking a singles 10 or 12 set up would be good for me. Still recommend the Se Austin?

Silver Member

15 $$D wangi...

Post Number: 609
All of these either a 10" or 12" on 500-700 RMS.

Audioque SDC2.5 (600 rms) $140 vs Re Se(600 rms) $150 vs. Fi Q (1000rms) $250.

Would be running off either an AQ 1200D or a Sundown 1200D.

Discuss.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
I would go the Q for a single sub setup...Especially if you are going to have ~1200 watts to play with, might as well use them all. The Q would take that all day.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us