Connecting laptop to car stereo.

is it possible? if so, how is it done...what cables/connectors/software would i need?

i have a 400W amp, w/ two 12" 500W subs, and a sony CD player. both the amp and cd player have RCA inputs.

i talked to someone about this last week, and they said that connecting my computer to the stero is pretty easy, it's just that i need special software to run it. that doesn't really make sense...

if someone could explain this, it would be really helpful.

thanks,
tifish.

motoman22
Special software? give me a break! You're not trying to control the laptop from the computer, you just want the stereo to play what the computer does...right?

If so, and your CD player really does have RCA INPUTS, this should be really easy.

Go to Radio Shack and get a 1/8" stereo plug->RCA cable adapter. Make sure you get the right plug to fit in the 'speaker out' of your laptop.

Just hook them up, tune your radio to whatever it needs to 'read' the aux inputs and crank up those MP3's!

alright.

about how much would that wire cost? pretty cheap huh?

and if i just seek through the radio stations, it should find my laptop on one? (sort of like most cd changers?)

that would be so sick!

thanks,
tifish.

i got the wire... $7.50

plugged it in to the back...plugged my computer in...it didn't work...scanned through the channels, and even went through them 1 by one while the computer was playing w/ the volume up.

on the back of my reciever it says BUS IN, and then theres left and right RCA females above it. is that the right port? the only other RCA's i have are OUT front, and out back. (which i use for my amp)

help would be appreciated. i don't want to have just thrown away $8

motoman22
tifish, read the manual for your CD player about how to use aux inputs. Just like connecting a DVD player to a VCR to a TV to a cable box, if everything isn't set right you won't see the movie.

My DVD player only works when the TV is set to 'Aux1' and I'm sure there is a similar setting for your radio...otherwise you would not have the 'RCA inputs' you claimed in the first post.

tifish
no...

i found out that my BUS ports are actually for a CD changer...and that i'll actually need an FM modulator to get it to work.

so i guess that's what i need to get. but i need the RCA-speaker wire too, so it's okay.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us