Two 12" kicker L7 4 ohm DVC with a Hifonics Brutus BX2005D

Username: Dalcanta

Post Number: 2
I have two 12" kicker L7 4 ohm DVC with a Hifonics Brutus BX2005D (its a mono 1 ohmn stable)"supposably delivering a 1600 watt rms or so at 1 ohmn load

the subs are wired in parallel in order to create a 1 ohmn resistance (i even tested this with the multimeter and its correct)

now, ive been having this setup for about a year. and it hits hard. but i was wondering if having the 1 ohmn load really a good idea even though my amp is 1 ohmn stable.

what are the pros and cons of this setup

distortion issues?
is there a better setup?

second

i was planning to sell my system to my friend and buy another pair of 12" L7 but now the 2 ohmn DVC version, and a kicker ZX amp ,

i want the 2 ohmn dvc version because i can get a configuration of series/parallel to get a resistance of 2 ohmn to the amp, and correct me if i am wrong but i think having a system hoocked up with a 2 ohmn resistance has less distortion and cleaner sound(of course this configuration is imposible with the 4 ohmn DVC version).

plus i think(not sure) all the ZX kicker amps get as low as 2 ohmn stable "talking about the mono ones"

so thats why i am leaning towards this setup instead

now wich kicker ZX amp do you guys recomend.
thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1708
with L7's the goal can't be SQ, they're basically a pure SPL sub. That being said I'd say you have a pretty solid set up. Especially with a big ported enclosure.
1 ohm is fine. That amp is built and purchased for POWER, and one ohm is where it will give it to you. Low impedance amps will have a low damping factor, but that doesn't mean a thing in the world of SPL. THD will still be less than 1% as long as you run it within its intended range.

As for the Kicker amp. The 1500.1 would be the logical choice. Actual power should be pretty comparable to the bx2005. Your damping factor should come up, but I seriously doubt you'd hear much of an audible difference.

It would be interesting to hear the report though.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2185
i own 2 of the bxi2005's. I Neve not had a problem wit either amp. They are made for the 1 ohm load so no problem there either.

what is your budget for subs?
What vehicle?
You mind running the same amp?

You you have any elecrical upgrades? That amps power drops dramitically if you are not keeping it above 13v?
what enclosure are you currently using?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9477
Opti is still correct any amp will have a lower DF at lower impedance. As long as its 1 ohm or above it won't be a problem though.

Username: Dalcanta

Post Number: 7
its a jetta 2000
stock batterie and alt.
i am changing the batterie tho, because its old and i have problems with it sometimes

i was actually thinking on getting a rockford fosgate 1501bd

istead of the kicker zx1500.1

let me know what you guys think, i might keep the hifonics tho. but since i am selling one sub to my friend and the other sub to another friend, i might buy another pair, but the DVC 2 ohm version of the 12" L7

the rockford fosgate amp delivers 1500 watts rms at 2 ohm, so please let me know your opinions
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us