Additional battery

Bronze Member
Username: Brewzky

Post Number: 38
I have read that adding another smaller battery between the existing battery and the amp is the way to go. It apparently acts as a capacitor and supplies additional amps to the electrical system. With the AQ1200 amp, do you think this is necessary? And if so, do I just connect the current pos. and neg. terminals of the stock battery to the same on the smaller battery, then connect the amp directly to the new smaller battery? Also, I am going to use 8 guage wire from the amp to the sub, RE SX15. What is the best wire to connect from the stock battery to the new smaller one then to the amp, if I go that route. I believe the stock Denso alternator puts out 130amps. Is that suitable with or without the added battery. Thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9136
You should be fine with your current charging system. If you notice voltage drops or other things like lights dimming horribly then you should worry about it. With things the way they are right now I think you'll be alright.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1637
i dont think you will need an additional battery - i think the stock charging will hold up just fine

i would use atleast 4 guage wire

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1195
u don't need to get anything like that with only the 1200. but it wouldn't hurt. its always nice to have if u want to upgrade. u can ground it off the battery were ever u want. pos to pos on the starter battery

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1640
I would use 1/0 from the front to the amp, and do the big 3 upgrade. If you still see much of a drop then add a 2nd battery, and if that still drops then an upgraded alternator.
Just connect + to + and - to -.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us