Alt Problems?!?!

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 248
I posted this on the LowDown a few days ago but didn't get any response so im trying here.

About five months ago I installed an Iraggi alt in my car, everything was fine. Last week the car was parked for a few days while I was out of town for the holidays. When I got back I noticed a slight humming noise when I started the car. Upon opening the hood to investigate there was a smell of burning electrical (smells exactly like a hot glue gun). Also the alt is very hot to the touch. The alt is still charging like it should but I know this can't be good. It is odd because everything was just fine when I parked the car but now something has gone wrong. Im stumped, thoughts?

Thanks,

Wicked'

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 425
could be the temp? cold out??

Bronze Member
Username: Tylersliva

St.Ignace, Mi U.S.

Post Number: 99
try putting electrical tape on wires there prolly burning from your alt heat

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 251
Its prolly about 45-50 degrees here in middle tenn. so I don't think thats it. I mean the car has seen temps in the teens for weeks at a time at it was fine then. Hmmmm... Im lost.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9361
It is normal for the alt to get hot, but that sound and smell can't be good.

Based on what you described my guess is one of the alts internal bearings is shot.

It is an iraggi though so this doesn't suprise me.... and you're SOL for customer service there. If it is bad the best you can do is chalk it up as a loss and get a better HO alt. Try DB electrical or MCR.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4507
the slight humming is kinda normal. When the car was parked for a few days, the bat most likely lost some charge, so the alt will work hard upon start up to recharge it. But if it has a constant humming, then as MS stated, it could have spun a bearing. You can get a new bearing set cheap, or bring it to a local Alt shop for a bearing replacement. Usually like $25-$50 bucks. At least at my local shop. Im lucky to have a alt shop near my that i can go to. Hes helped my out a few times.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 252
Thanks for the input guys. I checked everything out again today and the smell is gone and the alt doesn't seem as hot as it did before. The noise is still there but it has faded considerably. If it is shot I will send it back as it still has plenty of warranty left on it. I have heard the horror stories about their customer service but im not to worried about it. Iraggi is in La Vergne, Tn only about a 45min drive out there if I have to.

Thanks again guys,

Wicked'
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us