Sub Comparison

Username: Cepedamarc

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm pretty new to professional car audio, and I'd like to get a broader answer regarding the differences between two particular subs I'm looking into.

The first is the Kenwood KFC-W3011 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113W3011/Kenwood-KFC-W3011.html?tp=111&tab=features _and_specs), and the other is a Rockford Fosgate P1S412 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1S412/Rockford-Fosgate-P1S412.html?tp=111&tab=f eatures_and_specs).

Now, I know neither of these subs is a great sub by most standards, but I'd like to start off slow before dumping a few hundred or a few thousand into a real solid high-end system.

Basically, I'm a bit confused as to which will sound better/louder (I'm more into SPL than SQ).

The KW's have a higher RMS but also a higher Fs, whereas the RF's are rated at less than half the RMS but have a much lower Fs.

Now I know that enclosure and the chosen amp will play a significant role here, so let's say I'd use an amp depending on the chosen sub (i.e. 400W RMS for the KW, and 150W RMS for the RF).

The enclosure is something I'd possibly be building, but to know what the specs would be, I'd have to pick one of these subs first. Let's just say I'd go with the recommended figures listed in the specs.

So...which is the better sub? What exactly does Fs mean as far as enclosure/port tuning?

Again...sorry, but I am new and AM trying to learn.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1929
for the price you are paying there is better.
http://www.audioque.com/aq/SD2_Series.htm
a great entry level sub that gets loud and still sounds good

Post Number: 2
I'm sure I could get better subs for my money, but that's not what my post is about. I'm trying to determine the significant difference between two subs that are priced very similarly but have significant power rating and Fs differences.

Thank you for the link, however, but for roughly the price of one of those subs, I can get two of the ones I mentioned in my original post, which is actually what I intend on doing (buying two 12's, that is).

Basically, I'm trying to get a good idea of what the specs mean, and I have read in some places that a sub with a higher power rating (RMS) doesn't necessarily mean a better (and louder/boomier) sub. Of course, I know that a 1000W RMS sub will hands down beat a 200W RMS sub on any given day (right?).

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1930
there is a lot variables that come into play. fs is free air res. generally the lower the fs the better low end response but not always true. rms is rms its about matching the correct amp with the speaker. i did a show a couple weeks ago my competitor had 2-12's and 2krms did a 139 and change. i had a 1-8" and 2k did a 141. 90% build 10% product.

ps a buddy of mine use a pair of p1 10's and does a 145

Post Number: 3
I understand that there truly are a lot of variables, but I think you answered my question regarding the Fs. To be clear, though, what you're saying is generally a lower Fs means the ability to hit the lower frequencies better?

I'm beginning to lean more towards the Kenwoods, to be honest, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is the way to go.

I have plans on laying down a significant amount of acoustic insulation in the car, and building a box around the specs of the sub I end up going with.

Supposing I had both pairs of subs in their vendor-recommended enclosures and matched with the appropriate amp...in the end, which would be louder/boomier? Would it be the Kenwoods because of their higher power rating or the Rockfords because of their lower resonance?

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1931
rockford hands down. i have heard both subs and kenwood only makes good decks[hu]

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1932
fs bl and xmax all come into play to get a rough idea of musical play

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the responses thus far, Scott.

The specs for the Rockfords call for a ported box with an Fb of 36.

How does the Fs come into play when building a box, if at all?

Bronze Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 69
I'd go with 2 AQ SD212's over either of those subs any day. They're also cheaper, when you factor in shipping, and even without shipping they're still the same price when you factor in tax. I know you're kind of "set" on those subs, but trust us & don't throw your money away, only to regret it later as you inevitably will.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9346
Just about anything you pick is better than kenwood

Post Number: 5
If I could buy two of the AQ's for around the same price, I would get them, but from what I've found, I can only get one for around $109 whereas I can buy 2 of the other two for just a little more. I know I'm getting what I pay for, but these are more for instruction. I want to understand this stuff considerably more before I make a major investment.

Thank you for the replies.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 986
they just said the AQs because of all the features an speacil warrantys they come with also.. that way you dont have to keep spending a crap load of money on new setups u can just upgrade ur subs

Bay Area, CA

Post Number: 6
In that case, would it be a good idea to keep AQ brand subs in mind when finally building my high end system, or should I just go ahead with other more know brands?

Bronze Member
Username: That_guy_u_dont_know

Kaplan, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 51
look marc im not the most experienced but trust me when i say these guys know there stuff rockford is good dont get me wrong but like they said theres alot better for your money and as for kenwood dont get that thats a waste if i was u id go with the AQ now if ur lookin for just spl then get u some kicker L7 12 thats spl they suck with sq believe me i had a 15 and it jammed and my friend has 3 12 and its ridiculous just keep that in mind and heres a website for cheap kickers
www.hifisoundconnection.com

some of the stuff is refurbished but worth the money thats were i bought mine

just a suggestion

but like i said if i was u get the AQ and listen to these guys they know there stuff

Bay Area, CA

Post Number: 7
Oh, I'm not here to argue. In fact, it was the type of responses I was reading through that encouraged me to finally register and post my question here.

In fact, I have posted this topic on several message boards, and it seems to keep coming down to the same issue of brand.

What I am really looking for is an answer based on the specs alone. I'd like to better understand it all so that when it comes time to make the big investment, I know what to look for etc...

Regardless, thank you for the suggestion to AQ. Had I not been referred to it here, I would have thought it were another no-name brand.

Bronze Member
Username: That_guy_u_dont_know

Kaplan, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 56
i thought the same thing until i started posting on here and realized i can get a great sub for actually not that much like those or the HDC3 15 is wat im looking at now

Bronze Member
Username: Tylersliva

St.Ignace, Mi U.S.

Post Number: 85
ya trust me theses guys know what they are talking about i learned alot in 1 week man and if you keep learning for months you can be as knowledgable as these guys

Bay Area, CA

Post Number: 9
That's what I'm trying to do. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us