Fiberglass enclosure materials - Obtaining

Bronze Member
Username: Sglasgowaz

Post Number: 34
I am trying to locate a good place to purchase the materials I will need to do the fiberglassing.

I was going to order from U.S. Composites, but they are shutdown for the rest of the year. Since I have a 4 day weekend again next weekend, I was looking to get the supplies sooner than later.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a large chain (in Arizona) that might carry good matting/cloth and b440 resin (and MEKP catalyst, roller, etc)? Home Depot and Lowes website doesn't show any of that stuff that I can see.

I know I can get the MDF, tools, respirator, etc from Home Depot or Lowes (if I can find someone with a truck to carry the MDF).

Also, will 1 gallon of Resin be enough or should I go with more? Looking at 16.5 x 16.5 x 15 external dimensions times 2 (subs) per manufacturer specs (1.75ft^ x 2 internal volume).

Would rather have more than enough than be short, but more importantly, want to be able to obtain everything I need prior to Thursday (New Years day).

Thank you in advance for any recommendations. Was going to ask on the fiberglass forums, but still have read-only access (holidays and all probably).

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 824
u'll need more then 1 gallon of resin...sorry i can't help on a large chain but i know for a fact u will need more then 1 gallon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thank you. I figured as much, but still wanting to know if I should buy 2 gallons or 5 gallons. I know there are some inexperienced fiberglass people who use more resin than is what is really needed, which is why I was looking for a realistic amount I would need and I can decide on the extra amount to be safe.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2581
I would get about 2 gallons of resin to start off with. Don't forget that you are going to need a ton of brushes and cups to mix resin in.

As far as where to buy resin and mat, you can also go with Bondo. Sure, the resin is harder to work with, but it will get the job done since you are in a hurry. Wal-Mart will have it all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thanks. I am avoiding Bondo since everything I've read says to.

I would rather wait and get good stuff if I have to, but would rather have the stuff for my vacation time if possible.

Probably cheaper then to play it safe and just get 5 gallons.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2583
There is nothing wrong with Bondo man. It works perfectly fine, its just a little thicker so its somewhat harder to work with. I've got a friend who used bondo on all his door panels and dash. It has been 2 years and it is still flawless.

If you plan on doing some more projects, go ahead and get 5 gallons.

Here is a pic of those door panels and dash.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/Aftermathalero/interior%20shoot/DSC03052. jpg

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Ahh thanks Nick! Everywhere I read regarding fiberglass projects (specifically speaker related) people complained about Bondo brand.

I know fiberglass is a lot of work, but I am pretty patient and efficient, so I know I can do this project. How much time did those door panels take? Looks like a pretty good job!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2584
I've got the same car he does, and I've been using B440 on my door panels and dash.

It is extremely time consuming lol. But the ending project is worth it.

Here is mine in progress.
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Nice. So how much b440 did he use? I am only thinking of going with 5 gallons since it would be more cost efficient than buying 3 gallons.

Where did you purchase the B440? U.S. Composites? I am not in a hurry to finish the project, but would rather utilize the time I have off, and my son has off from school.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Nick, one more question if you do not mind.

How are you going to paint it? Have someone do it, or do you have a auto paint rig setup, or are you going to airbrush it?

Originally was just thinking of having it done, but thought it would be more satisfying if my son and I did the whole thing ourselves.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2585
Painting is the easy part lol.

I know how to do basic painting/priming with a gun. After I paint it, I'm going to do a little bit of airbrushing on it for artistic details.

I would make the painting a project for the both of you. You learn alot from it, it gives you time to do the father/son thing, and you can say you did it completely yourself.

Feel free to ask anymore questions. Ask Berny how I was when I first started lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
OK, so you do use an auto paint gun. Guess I will need to buy one. Had one with a big air compressor I had a long time ago, but gave it away.

So did you buy your B440 resin from US Composites or somewhere else? Just curious since I've only found two places to get it, and it requires it to be shipped.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2587
I got mine from USC.

If you really wanna work with a different resin, visit a few boating places near you. They usually have some decent resin.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us