Proper Fuse? AQ1200d 1/0 KLM AK0 amp wiring kit

Bronze Member
Username: Sglasgowaz

Post Number: 29
Based on the recommendations I received, I ordered the AQ1200d amp from Audioque to power the 2 15" subs my son wanted for christmas.

I am ordering the KLM 1/0 wiring kit from Knukonceptz based on recommendations I received here (yes, I was told 4 ga would work but want the better wiring).

There is an option to pick a fuse, but not quite sure if this is for the amp or not. Amp has a fuse rating of 40Amp X 3 (Linked 240 Amp) and the choices for a fuse are 60/80/100/150/200/250A.

My original assumption is that I basically need 3 40amp fuses, so none of the choices fit. Is this correct or not?

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1914
the amp has 3x40 amp fuses installed in it already. the wire will flow up to 300a or you can fuse it at 150 either way will be fine since the amp is already fused.

ps smart choice on the 1/0. its there just incase you upgrade.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Thank you. Sorry, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Thank you again for the response!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9323
If the largest fuse is 250 amps get that. 0 gauge wire can carry up to 300 amps so that gives you room to upgrade in the future.

The inline fuse protects the wire not the amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Tylersliva

St.Ignace, Mi U.S.

Post Number: 65
i woudl get the 250.. i need to get a bigger one for mine im using a 100a fuse... also my power cable does to my fuse box not my battery

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1154
was ur son happy with what he got?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Thank you..I went with the 250 when I placed the order earlier this morning.

Yes, my son was happy, but he knew he was getting it since he asked me for them and I needed to know the exact models. Although he started off with 2x12" Type-R Alpines, and once I agreed, changed his mind for 2x15" Type-R Alpines.

It's going to be a tight fit. All in all, I think I am as excited as he is and I've been fighting him on subwoofers for a few years now. I am a bit excited on making a custom fiberglass enclosure.

Bottom, sides and back will be 3/4" MDF, but a fiberglass front for looks. I think he will like that more than carpet, and a prefab won't work for his car and the size of the woofers. Plus it gives us something to do together.

Thank you again everyone for your assistance. Have gotten nothing but generous feedback.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3187
Gotta remember the klm is not designed to handle 300 amps, Matt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Does anyone know if this kit comes with all the wiring I will need to also wire the subwoofers or do I also need to get more wiring to wire the subs to the amp? 8 guage or better? Looking at probably a foot from amp to subs, plus two jumpers according to the wiring diagram. I check an impedence calculator thing for the wiring setup and it said I would have 0 to .01 db loss depending on if I go 1 foot or 2 foot with 8 guage wiring.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2213
You should get a distribution block that converts the 1/0ga wire to 4 ga, since that amp has 4ga power and ground terminals. 12-16ga wire will work from amp to subs. I think Type-R's come with jumpers from the factory, but if not you can just use speaker wire.

There will be no audible difference between using 8ga or 16ga speaker wire in your application.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
There were no jumpers included unless I missed them in the box. Will double check.

So I need a distribution block? Hmm, where do I get one that is good? Any recommendations?

Man, my son is getting a huge gift. This project is already running high. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1915
the reason i said the 150a anl is extra protection. the anl will blow at about 600 true amps. the blade fuses will blow at about 720a. things i picked up competeing in meca.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9324
" Gotta remember the klm is not designed to handle 300 amps, Matt. "

???????

If it is true 1/0 wire it will carry 300 amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Would have confused me since 1/0 wiring is the highest grade, right? Either way, it doesn't make a difference for my setup at the moment. And I figure the wiring will handle the upgrade if my son chooses to get a higher powered amp later on.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3188

quote:

If it is true 1/0 wire it will carry 300 amps.

http://knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLMX0BL

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2070
it should still handle 300 amps.. if not, get a better 0/1 amp kit.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1159
he did not say if he got the 100% tinned copper or the 10% tinned copper.

i am sure the 100% will handle 300 or more.

what you need to be looking into now is the box. even if u have the best set up the box is hands down the most important thing!

i am guessing u r going to make it ported? try to make the box as strong as u can! internal braces, use screws not nails, don't forget to pre-drill, also use wood close to silicon

i have seen a pair of type Xs in a box a kid made come a part. it just made him look like a retard

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9330
Yea, knu is being conservative with those specifications.

BTW when we say 1/0 will carry 300 amp that is in lengths of ~25' or less. The longer the wire, the less current it can carry.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
It will be less than 25'.

Not making a ported box due to space constraints. Going with sealed. And I would never use nails.

I've already purchased 3/4" MDF, screws, silicon, hot wood glue, etc. Just need the fiberglass material but US Composites is closed for the year and Lowes didn't carry what I needed for that. Which is fine since I am still trying to come up with a design. My son really should have chose the 12's.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1162
be sure and take some pics of it when you are finished

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2214
Knukonceptz, Stinger, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate off the top of my head. Here's the link to knu's d-blocks...

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Distribution%20/%20Fuse%20 Blocks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us