100 amp stock alternator ok to run 1400 watts rms?

Bronze Member
Username: Tom14pep

Post Number: 13
So i have a 97 monte carlo w a stock 100 amp alternator. I just put an old sony amp that i have that uses 200watts rms for the speakers in. I currently have one type r 12" pumping out 500 watts rms and i have a 12" alpine type x thats somewhere in a ups truck right now on its way, which can take 1000 watts rms. So my new type x and the sony 4 channel will use at least 1200 watts, if not 1400(thats what the amps are proven to run by the factory certificate). I am wondering if i need to get a high output alternator. I know that i wont be able to crank it up for very long without the car at more than an idle, but would i kill my battery and need to buy a higher output alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9311
What amp will you be using for the new sub

Bronze Member
Username: Tom14pep

Post Number: 14
I will be using a rockford fosgate type rf x6.c that is rated at 1195 watts rms at two ohms, which is what my sub will be wired at.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1705
It won't be ideal, but it's been done.
You're in the category where I'd say go ahead and install it, but be prepared to shop for a big alt if it looks like your alt is hurting.
My guess is it will run ok if you're not leaning on it ALL the time.

I'm currently running 1100w on a 130A alt and it runs worse than it did in my old car on 110A (just a little more dimming than expected). Ran about the same power on a 75A alt before that. I had low voltage at idle, but it did well enough to run for 2 yrs before the alt finally gave up.

Silver Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 168
i was running 2000 rms in my 240sx on a 80 amp alt cuz u cant get bigger ones for em ..ya the car would die in a few sec of being turned up loud not the best idea now in my civic 65 amp alt i think and i got 1000 rms on it and its killin the car

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9919
I think it will be ok, since the sony shouldn't draw much power.... they are known to not do rated power.

Silver Member
Username: Brewsky

Prince george, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 185
i got a 55 amp alt in my civic maybe its 60 amp but i got 1000rms at 1 ohm and after about 30 min the voltage drops 2 low

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2481
I'm running an AQ1200D and and a 200w alpine 4 channel on my stock 105a alt in my grand prix. I'm gonna guess I draw around ~100a full tilt (don't really know for sure). At idle for too long it will start to drop pretty low, but I can usually take a 30 sec idle fine and stay at or above 12v.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us