How loud 2 start competing?

Bronze Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 46
I was looking on mecacaraudio.com at some SPL scores in different classes, and I got to wondering... How loud should I get my system if I want to try competing? I realize there are several different classes which one can compete in, but what are those classes, how loud are they generally, and where's a good place to start?

I saw one guy (Brandon Smith) on the MECA site that scored a 90.5dB and another (Stacy Adams) who scored a 116.5dB in the "Drive-by SPL 3" class (whatever that is, lol). I'm defenately not an expert by any means, and I've never had my system metered but I don't think that those are even remotely loud vehicles (again I realize this depends on the class, but still).

Anyway, I was just interested as to how I get my foot in the door, and how loud I should try to be before I think about competing. Thanks guys!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4939
There are alot of guys here who compete that can answer this better than I can, but unless you are close to or over the 140dB range, it wouldn't really be worth your time. Drive-by SPL 3 is when an SPL meter measures how loud your car is from the outside. Nobody can be inside the car and your system must be operated by remote.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1893
mid 140's would be competitive for am. street even low 140's. street is a whole new animal. i run street3 a do a low 150

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1894
the next question should be how much money are you willing to invest?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4485
Your best bet is to go to a show and see what goes on. I had original went to a show just to get metered. Then went to the next show to compete knowing what I was capable of hitting. The ppl running the show will explain what class you would be in according to what set up you have. Some go by amp power, some by woofer size, some by cone area, so you may be in diffrent classes depending on where you compete.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Do you guys think 2 AQ HDC315's (in the right enclosure) powered by a Crossfire vr1000d (which I already own) and a AQ1200d, would be capable of around 140dB? If it helps they will be in a '97 Cadillac DeVille sedan.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1896
dont run 2 different amps toghether and with enough power on those subs easily. jack on here does a 142-3 with those subs in a malibu and 1k rms

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6012
you shouldn't have a prob.. im running two sealed RE SE 12"s on 1200rms and can street beat a 140+ using the globe from usaci

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 831
yeah dont run 2 diff amps, i personally am a big MECA competitor and i love it, this up coming season tho ill be over the 160 mark ;)but i compete in modified which is a whole new game, but seeing you that you have a trunk car and as long as everything is in the trunk and nothing in the cabin then you can compete in amature

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1897
hey look who it is! you get my text

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4517
Your from Highland? Near San Bernardino correct? I'm in Rialto and being that we are in socal, you'll be lucky if theres any competitions here. Being that I have competed in socal, you should still go, its still fun and not everyone will be loud. Most of the competitions here are db drag. They will probaly put you in SS-NW since you have 2 15's.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14559
'''''''you shouldn't have a prob.. im running two sealed RE SE 12"s on 1200rms and can street beat a 140+ using the globe from usaci'''''''

well my 2 10s RE SE sealed does 139.8 with also about 1200wrms so i guess its pretty decent for a daily set

SPL cost $$$ ....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I'm sure you guys are correct about running more than one amp to my subs, but may I ask why this is.

Hey, also with two HDC315's (dual 2ohm), which I'm thinking of running off of an AQ2200D, (I hope that would be a good match, even though I won't be able to wire them at 1ohm together to get the 2200w, hence my reasoning behind running 2 amps (1000w each) to each sub) would a 260a alt. (I haven't purchased an HO alt. yet) be sufficient? Also, the higher amperage you go with an alt. do you have to have a higher idle to charge the battery or to get the full potential out of the alt. or whatever? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Skateguy92

Post Number: 51
Anyone compete with a SUV? I'd like to compete but there are not ANY local competitions to me besides a small local every now and then. I was just wondering what class SUV's are in and what kinda scores people are putting up for just a simple setup (ex. basic box behind the rear seats no mods)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
"I'm sure you guys are correct about running more than one amp to my subs, but may I ask why this is?"

*Anyone?*

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 2707
You don't want to be sending different amounts of power to your two subs...especially if they're in a common chamber box.

As for an amp, don't waste your money on a nice 1-ohm stable amp if you can't run it there. You'd be better off getting rid of one of your current amps and matching the other, running two identical amps. The cheaper option would be selling both and picking up an amp that puts out 2000-2500 @ 2-ohm. There are a lot of people selling equipment right now and not many buyers, so if you have the $$$$$$, you're golden right now.

Keep in mind you're going to need a high output alternator and other upgrades if you really want to run 2000 watts, let alone competing.

Just some things to think about.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Sounds good. Well luckily as of now the only sub amp I have IS the Crossfire vr1000d. Can you recommend a nice 2kw-2.5kw @ 2ohms amp? Though I know it will be kind of hard to stay in AudioQue's price range.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1865
Crossfire VR2000D
Kicker ZX2500.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
How about the US Amps AX2000? I realize there's a noticeable price difference. But Would that be a good match for 2 AQ HDC315's?

Also, are Kicker's amps better quality than their subs & components? As I have owned a 12" L7 & a CVX 15" before.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Or maybe the AudioQue AQ3500D?

BTW, does the AQ3500D have dual power & ground inputs?

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 2710
Kicker amps are definitely above average, and most people here would recommend them. Way better built than their subs.

Again, with the AQ, you're "wasting" the power since it puts it's rated power @ 1 ohm. I would definitely look into Snow's suggestions. He read my mind I think

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1899
if you want used i can sell you a rd3250. i also have some nice subs if int. to go with it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
How much $ are you lookin' for, for the RD 3250.1D Scott? Any idea how many hrs. are on it?

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1903
600 shipped for mint ones and 500 for scratched ones. all are roughly 1 yr old
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us