How sketchy is craigslist?...

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3482
So i posted an ad up a few weeks ago to sell my headrest screens and last night i got a reply from this random guy...

"Hello Seller,
I'm interested in the mediate purchased of your item Pasted on CRAIGSLIST.ORG email me at your earliest convenience. with the last asking price ,present condition,are u the real owner and if its still available for sale.
Thank You ....."

My reply...

"They are in mint condition and were only used for 3 months or so. Im willing to lower the price a little if you want to pick them up, lets say $325. I am the original and real owner.

Thanks,
Jake"

His reply...

"Thanks for the urgent respond i'm ok with the price you are willing to sell the iterm let make the payment asap.. i will a pay you $350 think i am ok with it.so you will get the payment asap.i will also include the shippers fee.so you should be expecting a payment check of $1,400 which will be for the payment and shipping of the item and other item i have in my shippers care.as soon as you get the money cash deduct your funds and send the balance to my shipper to enable to come for the pick up.also deduct $30 as compessation to keep all buyers off.also .email asap with your full Name,.........Address,........City..........State.........Zip code,.........Cellphone number.........to enable me send you the payment check .
Regards"

Sketch sketch sketch... and maybe even a fail.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9080
You'd be able to play basketball with that check.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19347
Scammers everywhere.

Craigslist has a very important rule against shipping items for a reason.

I say have Canaan send him something.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1730
scam, i receive almost the same message before when i posted a listing on craigslist. i read it and delete it right away. anyone would be stupid to believe that. lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19348
I once got a response from a camper ad I saw on CL. $6000 for a $12,000 RV. Pictures and all. I WANTED it! Told him I had cash and would pick up asap. Here's the scam:

Turns out the camper is in Wisconsin, I'm in Jersey. He wanted half up front and half at delivery, which HAD to be with his shipping company. Same broken English and horrible spelling. You'd think with the money they scam from us they would learn the language a tad more. Helps business ya know? Also, all transactions HAD to be through Propay, his tool of choice.

So I tell him my brother is conveniently located only 15 minutes away from where the camper is located and I want him to have a look. No dice. Now the scammer states he's in the military stationed overseas and needs this transaction done immediately. He drops his price.

Obviously this is where Paul has some fun. I keep him stringing along with more and more offers and pitches. I mean, I'm about to receive a $12,000 RV for a fraction of the value right?

Needless to say he caught on to me and wouldn't reply anymore. The listing was deleted off CL.

Ahhh shucks.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2562
Guy seems legit Jake.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3018
just waste his time. get the check, deposit it and let it sit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19349
I wouldn't link my account to any bogus check.

We should come up with a way to scam them in their own country.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7167
Whats his address?
I'll set him up :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19350

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4936
This is a very old CL scam. Here is what happens:

They say they can't make it to your place because they aren't in the area... but their "shipper" will drop off a check, which is always for far more than your asking price. Then they tell you to deposit the check in your bank (which your bank will do because the check is legit at that time) and send them the extra money, keeping a bit for yourself "for your troubles". So you take however much money out of your account and send it to them. In a couple days when your bank goes to clear the check, it comes up with no funds. So your bank deducts not only whatever money you sent to the guy, but also charges you a bounced check fee. All of these guys are in the same areas as the Outlook Express scams, Nigeria and other parts of Africa, where their government will not allow our authorities to prosecute. So there is zero chance of you ever getting your money back or them getting in trouble.

Bronze Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 45
So, what if you open a new account at a new bank and cash the check, then wait for it to clear. Then withdraw the entire amount after it clears and close the account right after the withdrawl? Basically screwing the guy who sent the check. I assume this can be done since "at this time the check is good" and it is a legit check, however briefly. Just curious.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1939
@Chris15

Depending on the person it "could" work.

I work at a bank and we do credit cheques before you open the account so if you try that and run it will follow you through a collection so you wouldn't be able to do much with all that money oweing. Plus if your score is shoddy we will put a 10 day hold on the cheque anyways.

Unless you pulled some impersination fraud or something it wouldn't even be worth your time.

Bronze Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 47
Gotcha. Thanks Mike.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6013
your best bet is to take the check and scam someone else with it.. take your part of the money and let the person you scammed get screwed haha

thats what chad does.. thats why hes got soo much money :p

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9234
The fact that these scam continue to be sent out means that some people must fall for it or they wouldn't keep doing it....... and how somebody could be so incredibly stupid enough to fall for that is completely beyond me.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4947
$1 billion+ this year alone. $800 million in 2006.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19358
Upload

Just a funny pic. Not directed to anyone.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3485
YET ANOTHER EMAIL FROM A DIFFERENT PERSON!

"I am interested in buying the listed item.I want to know if its still
available for sale and let me know the last price including the
condition of it.Moreover I'll be posting a certified check to cover
the cost of the item while you hold on my behalf. Once you have
this,my mover will come pickup at you place.I will be needing the
following information to issue out the payment . . .
1.Name to be on the check
2.Home address
3.Telephone
4.Your city and zip code
Pls not that the payment for the item will be overnight to your
address asap. I have taken a close look at the advert and am
completely satisfied i really need this and will appreciates that you
help save this for me till the payment arrives as it will save me some
extra cost
MERRY XMAS"

This is crazy. Ive sold 10-12 things on craigslist before without ever having anyone send me these emails and now i get 2 in 2 days?... Im kinda mad but i know there really is nothing craigslist or anyone can do.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19361

I still say we have Canaan get involved.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us