Super confused, need help

Silver Member
Username: Snacks

Quincy, Florida USA

Post Number: 130
okay, heres the situation. for a while, my amp would cut out randomly during songs then turn on a couple seconds later. then after a while, it just wouldnt turn on for a few days, then come on then keep doing that same problem.

finally it just stopped working, i figured "oh well, new amp time". I met a guy who was selling an amp on craigslist, went to meet him and hooked the amp on. nothing happened, it was brand new in box. same problem occured which was no power light.

I figured it was the wires. I checked the fuse on the power wire and its good, same on the amp. I plugged my x over to the power/ground/remote on the amp just as if it worked and the power light on the xover came on.
I changed the remote wire (dont know if i changed it right but pretty sure i did, it had a "quick disconnect" thing on it so i just ran the wire thru that and plugged it back. still no power to the amp.

help? suggestions? ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9191
Intermittent problem, those suck, worst type of thing to troubleshoot.

First thing I would do is check ground.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19329
I'm willing to bet it's still under him.

Yeah, sounds like a short or loose connection somewhere.

Silver Member

Quincy, Florida USA

Post Number: 131
lol, good one. Check ground as in make sure its still bolted down good? i did that and it was, unless you mean somethin else?

im considering just buying all new wires and going from there. but im gonna run it by a more experienced friend tomorrow.

anything else it might be?

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 921
Make sure the ground has a good connection. Scrape off the paint and all that jazz. You want it nice and shiny.

Silver Member

Quincy, Florida USA

Post Number: 132
i just went outside to recheck and got pissed. its on there pretty solid. very shiny, i was hoping thatd be it :/

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9193
Hmm. Well without a DMM its gonna be hard to troubleshoot that further.

Check all power wire connections, battery, fuse holder also? I have actually seen problems like this where the fuse was not making a good connection to the holder.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 923
hmmm... Check both ends of your power wire. Make sure those are tightly connected. Check the fuse in the power wire up by the batt.

Silver Member

Quincy, Florida USA

Post Number: 133
what is a DMM? yeah, I pulled all the fuses out and put them back in. theyre not blown, i even went to autozone for a 2nd opinion since I didnt trust my vision.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14534
id say to take out all ur wires , check for damages & reinstall it ...

Silver Member

Quincy, Florida USA

Post Number: 134
furshizzle. im definitely doing that tomorrow. im not stopping til its shakkkkinnnn

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4474
Use a voltage meter to see if it has voltage at the amp on the power and remote wire, (when the HU is on only). Then use a continuity tester and check that ground is good from the amp to the grounding point. ground from the battery to the chassis grounding point. fuses. If you disconnect the power wire at the battery, then run a known good piece of wire from it to the other end of it at the amp and check for continuity. That will tell you if you wires are good with out removing them. Wire aint cheap.
and also for testing, run a jumper from the rem to the power input of the amp. that will eliminate the rem as a source when tessting.

DMM= Digital multi-meter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us