Kicker L7 15 inch subwoofer

Username: Brewzky

Post Number: 1
Looking for advice as I am somewhat new to all of these options. I am trying to decide between a single Kicker L7 15 inch or two L7 12 subwoofers. I have heard varying opinions. The box will be placed in the back of an SUV. I think the single L7 15 will make plenty of sound. And will the two 12's make that much more? Thanks

Post Number: 2
Also looking for advice as to which brand and type of amp to use depending on which sub I purchase.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3044
buddy of mine had 2 12" L5's and it killlled....

i think the 2 12s will get louder. however, L7's and kickers L-series subs are NOT known for reliability or sound quality. However, if you set your gains correctly, the L7's should last a while.

all in all though, i would not suggest these subs. if you list a budget and i{spend some time reading on the forum} you will read of many, many different options and you will be able to learn alot about pricing and picking subwoofers.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1879
This is a common question on here from new people... 1st off, Welcome to Ecoustics...
Now, Are you stuck on the L7's?... What is your budget for subs, amp, wiring. and enclosure?
What equipment do you have already?
What kind of sound are you looking for? SPL (pure loud bass), SQL(loud bass but with more clarity), SQ(Good clear bass)?
What SUV are you talking about?
How much space do you wanna give up?
Are you willing to do any alt, battery upgrades?
What kind of music do you listen too? answer these and you will get more help... Good luck

Post Number: 3
My son currently has two Kicker 12 inch subs in a non-ported box. Not the highest quality Kickers I gather. He also has a 400 watt amp for the subsThey are in a Dodge Durango. He likes the L7's but is not stuck on them. he was also talking about RE SX subs. Will buy the correct amp after we decide on the subs or sub. He listens to a variety, but mostly that miserable hip hop with pounding bass. Would rather hear Pink Floyd thru a nice system, but he's 18. Space is no big issue and budget is around $1,000.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1865
new or used equipment? you can get some nice used equipment for that price.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1889
The Re SX subs are a much better sub, IMO. They are RE's SPL bases sub that will get loud. and maintain decent SQ.;

They shine on 2000-2250 wrms (for both)in 4.0-4.5^3 ft for 2-12's (after port and sub displacement) tuned to 32- 34 hz. He will need electrical upgrades for this setup. Two of these subs in the proper enclosure should be louder and sound better than 1 L7- 15. If you can find an AQ2200D. That would be a nice match for the RE's.. What size alt is on the Durango? You might be able to get away with big 3, and a couple of deep cycle dry cell batt's( powermaster, kenetic, optima, oddesy,ect..). But an alt upgrade would be better, but likely be over the budget...
You could look at an all AQ substage.. 2 -HDC12's with same amp would save a lil cash and still be loud as FU<K! 15's even louder.
There are countless other options out there and you will have a lot to decide. Hope this helps.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1866
what year durango and motor? if you go big. you'll need a ho alt. i may have one to fit it.

Post Number: 4
After reading several different forums, we are focusing on the RE SX15 sub with a Hifonics BXi 1606D Super D amp. Next issue is buying the right size box. Looks like 4.5^3 is about right. Any idea's on best online store for a good box? Lastly, the Durango is a 1999 with the large V8. Is upgrading the alt necessary?

Bronze Member
Username: Pcmolina

Okmulgee, Oklahoma America

Post Number: 22
i wouldnt get that amp hifonics is overated.

Post Number: 5
With the above sub; what would be an optimum amp in brand and power?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9168
I was gonna say L7s suck but looks like ppl got that covered.....

and yes hifonics amps are extrememly overrated

RD 1750 would be a good amp

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1867
with a rd 1750 you may want to think about it. you have the 5.9l i dont have an alt for that one. oh and that brutus amp is overrated.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9185
If the electrical has to stay stock then yeah thats probably too much.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4476
I think that has a 136 amp alt stock.
So its not the best, but its better then most stock. I would suggest the AQ 2200d amp as stated earlier. As long as its not running full tilt all the time, and the gains are set right, you should be able to facilitate it.
The AQ 2200d does ~ 1800 at 1 ohm maybe a little more or less. who knows. Nobody has posted a bench test that I can find.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us