Decent amp for 2 Alpine SWR-1542D 15" Subwoofer Dual 4-ohm Coils

Username: Sglasgowaz

Post Number: 1
My son wanted 2 of these Alpine type-r 15" subwoofer's for christmas (overkill if you ask me, but what do I know). I want to make sure he gets a decent amp to power them.

Any recomendations? I'd like to keep it cheap (since I already spent enough on the speakers), but I also don't want him to have a crappy amp. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, and personally am not exactly estatic on him installing 2 of these. 2 10's or 12's would have been much better I think. 17 year olds...always want it loud.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11047
audioque 1200d 249 shipped. Its a good company and a warranty.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1863
what voice coil configuration are the subs that you are ordering?

Who are you getting the subs from?

How much are you paying? (if you don't mind answering)

The Audioque amp that Sean recommended is a great amp if you get the Dual 4 ohm voice coils... edit: just noticed that you are.

What vehicle are these subs going in?

Do you know what the stock alternator put out? (in amps)

You might be tight on space for the recommended enclosure if this is going in a lil trunk install. The enclosure and install is by far the most important things to consider with a good quality install. Please answer these few questions and get back with us..

BTW.. The Type-r's are a GREAT budget Subwoofer with decent SQ and surprising loud output for the price... One of the best subs/price IMO! He shouldn't be dissapointed! Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 986
If you don't want to do electical upgrades, the amplifier you buy depends on the car and its stock charging system. I'm currently working on a system for a friend, he bought two 15" Type R's and a 2000 watt RMS Soundstream amplifier. Just answer all of Mark's questions and we'll be sure to help you out.

Post Number: 2
The speaker's (Dual coil 4 ohm) I found for $200 each new, which looking around, seemed like a good deal? They were the exact model my son asked for, albeit at 17, I think he is lucky I got them for him.

The vehicle is a 2003 Lancer OZ Rally (he wanted an Evo but he's lucky to get a car period)..which is why I think 15" x 2 is overkill, but my son said one of the guys in his car club knows how to make it work?

alternator output is 85-90 amps apparently.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9150
I second the AQ 1200d, good price and good amp to run on a stock electrical.

You will probably have to use a sealed box for those subs..... I don't think a ported one of the needed size will fit in that car. With sealed boxes you can buy a prefab one, just make sure its 3/4" mdf not less. If you do go ported though, don't get a prefab, they are tuned way to high.

Or you could build the box yourself.

Post Number: 3
Thank you M.S. So the AQ 1200d should run fine with the 85-90 amp alternator?

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9151
Probably yes if the batterys any good. If you did have problems it would likely be not enough battery..... could fix that with a HC battery like odyssey or powermaster.

The box is the biggest consideration though, just make sure you use a sealed if its prefab or if its ported have it custom made, but I don't think there will even be room for the ported.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4897
Solid advice. Will be a very nice first system.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 884
I wish my dad bought me Car audio stuff for Christmas ...

You'r son will be very happy I'm sure.

Post Number: 4
Thank you again everyone. I've relayed everything to my son. The battery and alternator are new, so there should not be any problems. He's extremely excited. He didn't think I would buy it for him.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5998
selling my DLS A3, $250 + actual shipping

1200+rms @ 1 ohm

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14519
wait a minute isnt the new model R 15" = 750wrms & they only come in dual 4ohms

& he wants 2 SUBS so something like a sundown 1500d will be good ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14523
SWR-1542D
15" Type-R Series Subwoofer (4ohm + 4ohm)

Specs:

General-Subwoofers
* Diaphragm Material : Kevlar Reinforced Pulp
* Spider Material : Nomex

Power Handling
* Power Handling Capacity (Peak) : 2000W
* Power Handling Capacity (RMS) : 750W

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11058
Hes using a stock electrical which 1500 watts would be even harder on the vehicle. Besides the fact I think the 1200 watts is too much for it but he can turn the gain down. Hes also on a tight budget.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14526
well then id say get some 15" subs which need less power (say around 500wrms each) yet the cone area will still make it sound loud & get that AQ 1200 amp so the alt will handle it ....

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

http://www.audioque.com/aq/SDC2_5_Series.htm

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11059
He already bought the alpine type r's for his son.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14527
oh i missed that part

can get by with the sundown 1500 if he chooses to add a 2nd batt in the trunk - i know a few ppl who do that ...

Post Number: 5
Yes, I already purchased the 15" Type-R Alpines, since that was what my son requested.

I am not on a tight budget, I would just prefer not to invest more than I need to into a sound system my 17 year old son really doesn't need. :-) Not to mention within the last 6 months, I've replaced his fender, bumper, AC Compressor, alternator and battery.

Post Number: 6
Adding a 2nd battery in the trunk would be fine, except I doubt there will be any room in the trunk for a battery with 2 15" subwoofers. I think 12's would have been better.

This is a 2003 Lancer OZ Rally...semi-small trunk.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14528
^good point from scott on trunk space

u r a generous dad since most wont give their kids a f@rt ....

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4494
The Audioque will be perfectly fine. I'm sure he'll be surprised when its all hooked up and ready to go.

Post Number: 7
It's 11.3 cu ft. It's surprisingly larger than you'd think, but still going to be tight.

I also don't think he quite understands the whole issue with not having any trunk space after he installs these.

As for being a generous dad, thank you. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1590
generous indeed

as for the 11.3 cu ft trunk - that is descent sized but the size isnt always what matters - alot depends on what you can fit though the opening

my trunk in my grand prix is pretty big but the opening is terrible

i think a sealed box is going to be the best option for this install

Post Number: 8
It has a large opening. The issue will be the lid hinge and the back of the trunk is smaller.

The over-all feedback has been a sealed box. Now I guess I need to do some research for him on that. I thought ported was better from the little I had read.

*edit*
scratch that. I now see why the recommendation is for a sealed box. Not only smaller, but the sound for the size of the car will make more sense. Thank you all so much for your help! Great bunch of people here!

So for my 17 year old 2003 Lancer OZ:
2 15" Alpine Type-R
Needs:
Sealed Enclosure Box
1 AQ 1200d amp

4ga wiring?

Or possibly finding someone that makes custom boxes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1591
4 guage will work but i would recommend larger wire

knukonceptz has quality wire at a good price along with good customer service

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Amp%20Installation%20Kits

Post Number: 9
What is the recommended wiring? I don't want him to skimp on the wiring. I do know wiring plays a big part since I always go for the better wiring for my home system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1592
1200 watts will put the 4 guage at its limits so a bigger wire would be better for the amount of current

i would get the 1/0 amp kit - you would then need to get some RCAs and a remote wire

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLM-AK0

Gold Member

Post Number: 1866
Vid and pics when done! lol

Post Number: 10
OK, thank you Daniel!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I am sure my son will have pics and video's on his myspace, so it shouldn't be a problem to post a link.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2206
Good 4ga wire will be plenty. It never hurts though to get bigger, encase you get a bigger amp in the future. But 1/0 wire can be a pain in the @ss to run. If you do get 1/0ga wire, you will also need a distribution block that will convert the 1/0 wire to 4ga just before the amp (since 1/0 wont fit in the amps terminals).

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9161
If it was me I would just run the 4 gauge to make it easier, although there is certinly nothing wrong with bigger wire it is not nessceary here.

As for the battery its not that it's new or old really, its the current capacity.... I think the standard one will be ok but if not you can always upgrade it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Sounds good. 4 gauge then.

As for the battery, I believe I purchased a bigger battery (amp output), which is what I meant to say. I'll have to double check since I do not remember.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1890
That come with age, bro... I can relate.

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 534
look at the rd audio 1000d or the sundown 1000d both of these amps are good amps on factory alts

Bronze Member
Username: Pcmolina

Okmulgee, Oklahoma America

Post Number: 20
can u return the 15"s if so 12"s would be better. easier to install and will be just as loud. i have 1 12" type r in my cobalt with a 1000 watt amp and it makes the windshild flex. 2 15"s could cause a water leak over a period of time. i have 7 12" type r's if you live in oklahoma i would trade a pair of 12"s with a ported box(built to spec.but wont have carpet) for the 15"s.would need to see the trunk opening to see what can fit. if the back seat lays down you may be able to fit a larger box through there.the size the box for 2 15"s is youre biggest problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Pcmolina

Okmulgee, Oklahoma America

Post Number: 21
15"s are louder! but if you consider the size of the car and box sizes. 12s may be the best choice (right size box for the 12"s too small of a box for 15"s)the box is as important if not more than the subs that you put in it.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9167
Heres a tip, don't listen to noobs who can't even form a sentence

RD, Sundown, and AQ are all good amps but I think the AQ will be the best value.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thank you M.S. I already went with the original recommendation on getting the AQ based on the recommendations early on in the post.

Sounded like a good starting point for my son based on the feedback here and the vehicle it is going into.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1891
That setup will get loud and will be surprisingly accurate bieing that it will be a sealed enclosure... If this doesn't satisify his for a first system, sell him and get a good kid, lol I will sell one cheap, got em from 16 years old to 2 months old.. lol j/k btw

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
He's already estatic, so he understands what he is getting.

When I mentioned to him we might not have it all built out until the beginning of the year due to the holidays, he said "that's cool, I can wait". Surprised me....most kids want it now...right now. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us