Question regarding adding a second sub to my car

Username: Grampa

Post Number: 1
Hi I'm looking at connecting a second sub to my current setup. My amp is an Alpine MRP-350 class D which can handle a 2 ohm load. I have a 4 ohm (svc) sub connected to it currently, but I have another 4 ohm (svc) sub that I would like to connect up.

My friend connected his second sub up simply by running another speaker wire from the positive (+) terminal of the 1st sub to the positive (+) terminal of the 2nd sub and the negative (-) terminal of the 1st sub to the negative (-) terminal of the 2nd sub. So the 2nd sub actually had no direct connection to the amp. Both subs seemed to worked fine so I'm just wondering if doing it this way is ok or if it will damage either the amp or the subs in anyway?

This way would just be much easier for me since my amp is under my passenger seat. But if it's going to damage my gear in anyway then I shall just go through the extra effort and do a normal parallel connection.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1840
what tour buddy did was he created a 8 ohm series connection. less power. you will want to run a parallel connection to achieve a 2 ohm load. ie. 2 wires from the pos on the amp one to one sub then one to the next sub.
http://caraudio.biggz.com/downloads/ohmcalculator.html
ohm calculator

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1841
oops my bad just reread it. you do have a parallel connection but not the proper way. connect it the way i showed you otherwise the 1st sub will see more current then the 2nd sub.

Username: Grampa

Post Number: 2
ok thanks a lot :-) much appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us