Help me with sub setup

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisilver

Post Number: 33
Well I had all these great plans for a upgrading my electrics and getting Fi Q ect but it ended being being way to much money for me, especially for my first setup. Sooo, I want to go much cheaper. I have a 2005 civic with a stock 70 amp alternator and I want to be able to run a sub off that. Tell me if i'm wrong but I think all I can handle is about 300 watts? Taking into account what the car needs and loss from amp inefficiency.

1. Basically. what are some good subs that run well off 300 watts? I'm looking for SQ mostly, a little bit of sql. Ive been looking at image dynamics, diamond, and re audio.

2. What is a good amp to provide 300 watts of good clean, reliable power?
I've been looking at kickers off of ebay

Thanks, Chris

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19134
How about an ED 13Kv.2? $75 shipped.

12" D4 sub that can handle up to 600w if done properly. Needs only 100w to start.

If you buy two I'll drop it down to $140 shipped for the pair.

Damn I sound like an automated ad.

You can run more than 300w with that alt. How much $$ do we have here?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Lets say 600$ budget for everything; sub, amp, mdf, wires ect.

How many watts can it handle?

This is what I did:
70 amps = 1008 watts. I gave 60% for car needs. so that leaves 400 watts. And a class d amp with ~75% efficiency brings is down to 300 watts.

Bronze Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 17
do you already have an HU?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Yeah, I have an alpine ida x100

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Can I handle more than a 300 watt sub? Stock electrics but I would do the big 3. I don't want a ghetto car where I have turn my volume down just to run the AC..

How do Diamond, boston acoustics, and image dynamics ID compare?

What is a good amp that will put out a clean 300 watts?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1348
you will be able to run more than 300rms. i say a good 600-800 class D amp would be ok. the sub companies that you listed are very good. they are more SQ oriented tho. are you looking for SQ(sound quality), SPL (loud), or SQL (a mix of SQ and SPL)? Image Dynamics has solid drivers that are very accurate and can get decently loud. I have had the PLEASURE to hear an IDMAX and it is a great sub that does get loud and stays crystal clear at all volumes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I would say I want something leaning towards the Sq side of SQL. I want it accurate and tight for techno, but also to be able to put out when I need to it for some long, low bass notes in rap.

Wouldn't running 800 watts soak up every last bit of power the alternator can pump out?

Would a 12" image dynamics ID fit my tastes well? Giving it about 300-400 watts. How does it compare to the IDQ, which is 100 bucks more

And what would be a good amp to power it?

How is the quality on kicker zx amps, alpine v series amps, and orion Cobalt CO800.1?

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1351
honestly, a RL-i 10" and a ZX500.1 seem to fit your bill perfectly.

800rms would be the most i would put on that electrical. the ID would fit your tastes, they are extremely accurate. an ID10 or 12 would be a good choice, they 12 would be louder simply because of cone area. howefver, i think that the RL-i would be louder while still remaining great SQ.

kicker and alpine make a great amp so you its a win-win.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I think i'm going to go with a 12" ID and a refurb kicker zx400 off ebay. Will the ID be able to handle to full 400 watts? Iv'e read different specs from different sites. Woofersect says 400 rms but imagedynamics specs say 250 rms, 400 max. which is correct?

Also, how does the id 12 compare to re audio's sr?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10985
250 rms is correct. How much are you paying for the image dynamics Id 12? I own the image dynamic idq v2 12 350 watts will be fine if you get the idq.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-700-Watts-IMAGE-DYNAMICS-IDQ12D2-V2-Subwoofer-NEW_W0QQitemZ310085544356QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item310085544356&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2131
Is the sub amp the only amp you will be running? You should be just fine with 600w, you could probably even do more, but better safe than sorry. Those cars don't need much power to run.

That's a h3ll of a deal Paul has on those 13kv.2's. Never heard one in person, but are suppose to have good sound quality and descent output. Those are Dual 4's correct?

Maybe look into an AA assassin. They are rated at 250w, but I gave mine 500+w(clean of course) and it loved every bit of it! Nailed every double kick bass note I could find at the same time. Was in a box tuned around 30hz as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10986
If you want to be safe in my opinion on your 70 amp alt with no issues id recommend 500 rms total for sub and high amp. Your vehicle has basic electrical needs even without the lights and other stuff running.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Image Dynamics ID12D4 V.3
$140 off wooferect

So this is wrong, off woofersect.com?
"RMS Power Handling (Pwr) 50 to 400"

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10987
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iD12%20D4%20v3.pdf

250 rms and it looks like a good sub. Go ported with it if you want more output.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19150
Yes the ED 13Kv.2 subs I have are D4.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Yeah, the sub is the only thing ill be running

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5935
Just get an IDQ and be happy. Great subs.

Either or get an RE SE.. I'm running two at the moment and they are amazing.. Work great in the small sealed box.. getting louder than I expected and great SQ. Just something temporary until this asshat on ca.com sends me my XXX or a refund.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10988
Heres a good head unit from a good place for a good price. Eclipse 3100 5 volt preouts $129.99 shipped. I own one its a very good unit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_099CD3100/Eclipse-CD3100.html?search=eclipse+3100&t p=5684

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
What are the differences between the ID and the IDQ, which costs twice as much.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5936
More output.. not so entry line. Both subs are built well but the IDQ will handle more abuse so to say.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10989
If you go with the idq 12 I gave the link to on ebay it will cost about the same. I think thats what Kevin is saying.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
How loud will the ID be compared to some thing I could could go to a local best buy or something to hear in person. Say..alpine type e, or rocksford punches

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10990
Trust me if you want on the side of sq go with image dynamics.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5937
You will never know until you could try different subs in the same enclosure in the same vehicle.

Just go out on a limb and trust the people here. You'll like the IDQ a lot.

Either or I'd suggest the RE SE 12".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I think the IDQ is a bit too much money for me.

How are the ascendant audio arsenals?
And does aa have an online dealer?

Are alpine and kicker amps both very nice? or is there something that sets one ahead of the other?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10991
Why dont you go with the idq 12 I linked from ebay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I think what i'm looking for is more sql. And, I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, but...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10992
How about a cerwin vega vmax 124.

http://www.12v-electronics.com/catalog/cerwin-vega-vmax-subwoofers-vmax-p-3482.html

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5938
if you want SQL on a budget EBAY an RE SE 12" and get a nice amp that does 600-800rms.. port the box at 33hz-34hz and be done.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
How would the Se sound off 300-500 watts? I don't want to go any bigger than 500 watts. I like the soundsplinter rl-i 10's 300-400 watt range, but I wish it came in a 12". Is there more difference than volume level between 10 inch and 12 inch subs? How is the sr model?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2136
http://ascendantaudio.com/products.php

What about trying a 15"? A single 15" has about double the cone area of a single 10", just for comparison.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10993
Yeah now that I think about it skip the cerwin vega and go with a single alpine type r 12 dual 4 ohm. $117.74 shipped.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203025600&listingid=29646072&dcaid=17902

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5939
i'd rather have gone idq/re se over the type r

Bronze Member
Username: I0s

Post Number: 41
sean got mad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts