New Box Build

Bronze Member
Username: Racerdude15

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 14
ok, im planning on building a box for my truck, a 93 chev single-cab.
i am goin to build it as large as possible, but i want it to hit lows and im a beginner and dont know what type or size of ports i need.

i have 2 kicker impulse 12s that were free
and a power acoustic 980 peak amp (550 rms)--supposedly

i just dont want to waste a bunch of wood....thanks in advance for any help

Username: Blkbville04

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 5
Well I believe that the kicker impulses are only rated at 150 watts so I would turn that amp wayyy down unless you wanna blow them. And as for the box you wont need to go big they only require about 2 cubic ft per sub. If you want lows your going to want to go with a ported enclosure. The ideal size would be aboue 32 inches wide, 15 inches deep and 15 inches wide and that should give you what you want its the right amount of cubic ft, and for the port you can just do an L style port, just look at some premade boxes to get an idea for your port

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1811
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... WTF??
"and for the port you can just do an L style port, just look at some premade boxes to get an idea for your port"

UMMMMMMMMM no.... The port need to be properly calculated to the desired tuning is achieved..

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 6
he said he just wanted to hit lows, he never said he wanted a certain frequency to be tuned to. god damn people on here are rude, hes a beginner, i was giving him an idea

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1347
"he said he just wanted to hit lows"

so make a big box with an L-shaped port?that doesnt make sense at all. Mark was just tryin to say that the info you gave him really wasnt the correct info to give to a beginner.

To the OP,
google your subs and see if you cant find any specs on them. from there you will be able to calculate a box that is designed for those drivers. Is you amp any chance the PA LT980/2? because if it is then i have the same amp. it very overrated and those speakers are probably only a single voicecoil. Find out if they are single 8ohm or single 4ohm.

if single 4ohm: just connect each sub to each channel

if single 8ohm: wire them like this http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=81 this would let you run your amp in mono.

no matter how you wire them, do NOT use BassBoost. and as always the Gain is not a volume control.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1812
"he said he just wanted to hit lows, he never said he wanted a certain frequency to be tuned to. god damn people on here are rude, hes a beginner, i was giving him an idea?"

I wasn't trying to be rude, but if you wanted to help him out you would have explained that building a huge box is not the answer... You build the box to spec for the subs... Then you explain to him that proper tuning and ideal tuning will allow him to play the lows as well as get the most out of his subs at all frequencies.

Side note: An "L" shaped port is only used if the port length is longer than the enclosure will allow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Yes, it is the PA LT980/2...it was $80 and kills my buddys $400 rockford....

i will try to find the specs but the subs are so old im having problems with that...
and they are 4 ohms, stated on the mag

i have 63" x 7" x 18" to play with......dont think i will need quite that much
also, what kind of wood is the best for the job?

i want to tune the box as low as i can keeping sq in mind...maybe 30-35 Hz

here is something i found...does this help?
http://www.carsound.com/reviews/subs/impulsei12.html

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1355
ok yeah with that amp you would just want to wire each sub to each channel. that would be the best way to go. having room for the box is usually no the problem, the opening for the trunk is usually the problem. however if you have a SUV then nvm.

and on the site it just says info for a sealed enclosure. if you want you can try it sealed and if you dont like the sound then you can experiment with other boxes.

best wood for the job - 3/4" MDF

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1525
or trupan light

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 7
ok my bad guys, ive built boxes that were able to hit lows great. i dont build boxes for trucks or SUVs that often so i dont have much port length to play with so i have to be creative with some L shaped ports. i was just tryin to put some info out there to start him off, sorry if i confused you or anything man

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1357
"ok my bad guys, ive built boxes that were able to hit lows great"

"i dont build boxes for trucks or SUVs "

so you build great boxes for cars? why not just build the same box for an suv? idk that just didnt make sense.

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1526
brian just because its an L shape doesnt mean it will hit low its about the lentgh and port area compared to the box size longer the port lower the tuning shorter higher theres a math formula for it

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 346
looks like its bash on Brian day. I have to agree with Abarca, a box for an SUV or truck should be formulated and built just as any box for a car.

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 11
but with a truck i would have more room for a bigger port is what i mean, like i wouldnt have to do an L port because i could make a straight port, the box would be fabricated the same way, but i dont have as much room with a trunk, cuz i still gotta fit it in there and i dont always have the luxury of being able to build any size box like you can for a truck or SUV is all i meant. i got off on the wrong foot with most of you guys, this is just getting more messed up the more i try to get myself out of this lol f*** my life....

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9050
Looks like we've got another john wheeler haha

building boxes without tuning the port

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
ok so big long ports for lows?
and im not goin sealed...i hate that high "bottled-up" sound im getting out of my sealed box now

i most likely will have the box separated on each side with the ports coming out in the middle (with the design of the truck, that is the only way...also it will be a l-shaped port to get some length)

how big, how long on the ports, and how much area for the box?--2 sq ft for each sub?

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 12
well when i gave you the dimensions on my first post i calculated it and there was about 2 sq ft per sub if separated on both sides. As for the ports i used a port calculator and for each chamber a 15 in height, 16 in long and 1 in wide port will tune it to 32 hertz, hope that helps since my first post wasnt as detailed for the port which i apologize for

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
ok thank you for the help

ill let you guys know how it sounds

Bronze Member

Monclova, Ohio US

Post Number: 18
lol glad your grateful after all that. i should have been more specific in the beginning. keep us posted
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us