Testin maybe some one else has done

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1052
so in order to find my best spl note i need to find out what what Hz is best for my car. i am going to do this by cutting parts of the port. but i can only tune so high then i will have to make the box smaller because i don't have room to make my port bigger.
has any one made something for just spl?
did u tune the box to the same hz at what the car is? or did u tune it lower?
it would be nice to know something close because i want the box to be as big as i can and still get it tuned that high.

how short of a port is to short?

what can you tell me about cancelation?

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM REVOLUTION Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 306
i just played a sweep and mine was 44Hz

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1053
any one else?

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 220
what you could do would be to have a sealed sub that has a pretty flat response, then do some sweeps with it finding the peaks in the response. Then just aim for that number.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1616
^x2.

I plan on using a sealed type-x doing sweeps until I find the general range, then stepping it up freq by freq until I find the sweet spot. That will give you a general idea of where to start around.

Then make the box the size you want and start chopping the port smaller and smaller, and test different size boxes as well. It takes a lot of testing to find out what combo will work best in your vehicle. Different cars of the same make could be different too btw.

Some people like to tune right at the car, many right below. You'll just have to see what works best for you. Power and compression play factors so you testing will be your best guide.

My vehicle peaks several places, 32hz, 42hz and around 52hz from what I've seen on the t/l so far, so you've got to keep going higher and higher until you find both/all peaks and what will work best with your setup. Math and results don't always seem to add up in the spl game for some reason lol. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1726
i have already told him about the seald box and sweep, but the hard-headed d!ck wouldn't listen.. just made a different thread

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1057
every one has told me about the sealed box but i wanted to know what some one says that has done it before.

so what can u guys tell me about cancelation?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1735
"so what can u guys tell me about cancelation?"

cancelation is what our admin shoud do to your e-account!

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1058
thats for the help mark

Silver Member
Username: Talon_es93

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 824
maybe this isn't the best idea but it worked for me so i'm just giving my 2 cents.. i was doin testing to but what i did was i got a bunch of bricks and stuff my box with them and kept testing.. wen u put the bricks in the box it takes up more space so it tunes it highers... after putting like 10 bricks in there i messured them and found out how much space they took up and then i cut that off of the box.. .. now i do a 143.1 with 1 12" 2xl... the bricks ended up tuning me @ 46.. i cut the port back a bit to tune me @ 47 and i dropped to a 142.3

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14429
what u usually do is find the peak using a sweep & build ur box a few hz lower than that & gradually trim off a little port length & keep testing after each port cut until u notice a drop in peak spl then u know u had the sweet spot

i seriously rec aeroports since its far easier to experiment with .....

Gold Member
Username: Talon01

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1810
very effective way that rovin rec. to you. that is the exact way i do mine. you will notice a braod peak at first , once you notice the narrowing peak then you are getting closer to the peak frequency. ie i start with stock length then test and it was lervel from 52-61, then i trimmed 1" off and it went to 54-61. see what i mean. i can tell you my peak before that but i have been doing this for a while, so has rovin.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10965
"maybe this isn't the best idea but it worked for me so i'm just giving my 2 cents.. i was doin testing to but what i did was i got a bunch of bricks and stuff my box with them and kept testing.. wen u put the bricks in the box it takes up more space so it tunes it highers... after putting like 10 bricks in there i messured them and found out how much space they took up and then i cut that off of the box.. .. now i do a 143.1 with 1 12" 2xl... the bricks ended up tuning me @ 46.. i cut the port back a bit to tune me @ 47 and i dropped to a 142.3"

I like d's way the best because your not cutting the port multiple times and you find the box size at the same time. There is a multiple of other things you could try to increase spl but Ill let you figure out the rest.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1813
no^^^^ what he did was tuned the box to the port and not the box to the car. i understand why you said that, cost effective yes loud no

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14431
glad too know scott does it like me which means i wasnt doing crap all along...

scott we got a ways b4 we even get top 3 http://www.iasca.com/content/05IdBL/CurrentTop10List.aspx

they still have me showing like im in stock 1 but i was later placed in stock pro 2 which i used to rank no9 but some guys came with some good numbers thus knocking me out of the top 10

there is a WRE show coming up here on sunday but i need more watts to go higher since im not getting better numbers with other box designs as yet ....

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1814
i am up to 152 now but have a new box design coming up and should be close to the wr. previous car did a 157.xx with it.designed just for the ac mic hehe

Silver Member

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 826
damn scott those are some nice numbers...sry for the thread jack but how do u make the box to the car instead of the box to the port... can i get more out of a single 12" 2xl on a xa1500?

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1815
need details on vehicle and setup. also what class do you run?
you start by finding the res. freq. of the car which will change with box size. getting the drift already? once you find the box size that works for your car you tune the box to the freq. of the car. the magic trick is getting the same freq. at the back of the port as the same as on the dash. not as easy as it sounds. this is why you take a little at a time off the port to find it

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Yanks Fan USA

Post Number: 10739
"cancelation is what our admin shoud do to your e-account!"

Rofl.

Silver Member

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 827
alright i see what your talking about.. i just don't get how to get the right box size. how would you know wich is the right one.. i drive a 01 grand cherokee... i have a AF750 under the hood(equivalent to kinetik 1800)and a big three upgrade.. i have a stock alt. and not that it matters but a 1 farad cap under my back seat.. amp does 500 rms @ 1 ohm so i'd be in 0-600.. i also compete in street a in db drag.. (143.1 sealed on dash) (145.8 driver window open mic @ passenger kicker)

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1817
what type of box setup? size and tuning?generally subs up port back works in that suv.

Silver Member

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 828
my box is 3.9 cubes before displacements.. and i have 78 inches of port area(13x6) and it is 24 deep.. i believe thats 46 hz and i peak @ 48

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10974
I believe the typical frequency for the cherokee is 47 hz but I bet you can move it even higher than 48 hz. Possibly 52 hz.

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1821
drop to 1.5 or 2.0cf sub forward port back with a 6" aero and start trimming away. the other type box would be subs up port back at about 2.5cf 2-4" aero an start trimming

Silver Member

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 829
would regular pvc pip work if i sand down the edges? and thats 2.0cf before displacement right?

Gold Member

Team Revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 1824
for test purpose sure final build no. yes before dis.

Silver Member

Trinidad, Co

Post Number: 830
koo thanks man i'll give it a try n let you know what happens.. sorry BJK for the jack but i'm sure it also helped you out..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us