Time to get serious

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1591
ok so my atomic 3000.1d came today
shes a straight beast. very heavy amp.
and i hooked it up to test it and it works awesome the bass sounds amazingly clean. i have the gains all the way down though and my head lights dim. so its time for batts.

most of the places online reccomend a grou group 34 under the hood (10.75"x7" base x 8" tall) and then any size battery in the trunk. i want the cheapest set of batts that will be able to power my amp @ .5ohm daily. however, i realize this may cost quite a bit. prob 3.6k rms @ .5 ohms if i had to guess.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1665
what is you alt situation?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8989
Two group 34s and a HO alt

Or one isolated form the stock battery thats what I would do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
you will want a H.O.alt for daily pounding w/ that amp

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2456
Mark, I personally run 4.2k @ .5ohm.

I have a stock 110amp alt, starter battery up front (biggest thing that would fit) and a Kenetik 2400 in the back. I have two runs of 1/0 running to the back for +.

My charging system holds up great, even at idle. My suggestion would be to not worry about an isolator because when you aare running that much power, you will have an advantage when you use both batteries.

Also, I would first buy the batts and see how your charging system holds up. If you are not satisfied, that is when you buy a HO alt. Make sure you have your Big 3 done.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
i atm also run <ahem> 4000 wrms @1 ohm with 132 amp stock alt. And will be running the 5750.1 @.5 ohm on same setup till my alt brackets and 2nd alt come in(god willing). Even with the 2 Hifonics bxi2005's my voltage drop in not good. I got by w/o it but I know that I am losing out on a lot of power by not keeping my voltage up.. I am bacically doing the same as Nick but do not recommend it. I dont know of anyone (except Nick) who says that it is a safe practice. Not to mention the loss of preformance.. And if I blew my Hifonics amps, pfft oh well lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2459
You are comparing Hifonics to quality amps Mark.
It is all about the amp's efficency. Atomic makes pretty efficient amps.

quote:

I dont know of anyone (except Nick) who says that it is a safe practice.

I know of a few that call it safe pratice. At idle, my voltage stays at 13.6 - 13.8. Thats even in my SPL box which is designed to keep box rise as low as possible.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
You also have to take into consideration your amps output at 14.4v as compared to 10-11v. I would be willing to bet that the difference is quite a bit... That being said if you are pushing whatever subs you got at full tilt when voltage is at 10-11v imagine what you are doing to the subs when charging system is able to get up where it belongs (between songs, ect..)

In my case I have to be extremely careful seeing that the 5750 @.5 ohm at full tilt would smoke my alphas. And voltage irregularity can be disastrous and make it extremely hard to get the amp setting right... Basically it is a gamble. FTL

Gold Member

Post Number: 2460
Basically what I'm telling this guy is to get batts first (because he said he doesn't have much money to spend) and see how that works out. If it doesn't work for him, then he can get a HO alt.

He might not blare it constantly daily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1673
"At idle, my voltage stays at 13.6 - 13.8. Thats even in my SPL box which is designed to keep box rise as low as possible."

I fixing to spend a sh!tload of money to keep my voltage that high or higher(hopefully).. I know that my RD amp is fairly efficient, but i will be running it at .5 ohm with gain cut back but I can imagine the voltage drop will be substantial. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Bottom line. I (as well as most on here) would recommend a H.O. alt/ big 3 and audio series deep cycle dry-cell bat.

Me owning the 1999 jeep GC I have has a hellofa time with keeping voltage up.JEEP UNIT HAVE NO REGULATOR IN THE ALTERNATOR, THE REGULATOR IS IN THE ECU.
THE ECU LOOKS AT OUTSIDE TEMP, ENGINE TEMP, LOAD, VOLTAGE, AND OTHER ENGINE FACTORS TO DETERMINE THE RATE OF CHARGE, AS APPOSED TO ALL OTHER UNITS THAT ONLY LOOK AT THE VOLTAGE. SO THE BATTERY IS CHARGE MORE ACCURATELY. THIS HOWEVER CAN LEAD TO POWER PROBLEMS WHEN IT COMES TO STEREOS. THE ONLY WAY AROUND THIS IS A DUAL ALTERNATOR, HOWEVER MOST HIGH AMP UNITS WILL WORK QUITE WELL UP TO 200 AMPS. BUT THAT IS MY PROBLEM.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1674
LOL AGREED NICK.. I REALLY COULDN'T HURT TOO MUCH, LOL.. I'M IN AN AMP/ VOLTAGE MINDSET ATM WAITING FOR MY AMP TO GET HERE! LOL

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1487
mark has a 200A alternator already

i think that and a couple of batts would hold up well

only way to really know is to try it out

Gold Member

Post Number: 1677
now that makes sense... He didn't answer me when I asked what his alt situation was.

I assumed the worse. I know, I know..
AS_S+U+ME lmao

Gold Member

Post Number: 2462

quote:

LOL AGREED NICK.. I REALLY COULDN'T HURT TOO MUCH, LOL.. I'M IN AN AMP/ VOLTAGE MINDSET ATM WAITING FOR MY AMP TO GET HERE!

I feel ya man. That 5750 is a power house.

Since the OP already has a HO alt, he just needs batteries.
I am going to go ahead and reccomend PowerMaster lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1678
no to powermaster!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1488
why no to powermaster?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1679
just because I feel like arguing. lol

Seriously, Powermaster is one of the top brands on the market.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1489
haha i was going to say - i have a few little power masters going in soon

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1592
wow i cant forgot to add that i already have 1/0 big three and a 200 amp alt

i think the alt is weak tho maybe 160-180 amp. largest for my vehicle w/o spending over $600.

damn you guys do a lot of work when im asleep lol. thanks a lot guys

i was basically just making sure that i would be ok if i just ran a nice group 34 under the hood and maybe like and hc2400 or equivalent in the trunk. i should be able to do that for under $400 as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us