New Box Design...Need Help

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Ky USA

Post Number: 235
So I am wanting to build a custom box for my car [2007 Eclipse] that fits nicely behind the back seat, and [if you know how the trunk is in Eclipse's] I want it to settle over top that little hump in the trunk so it will stay in place with that.

The box will be enclosing 2 Ascendant Audio Arsenals, 10 inches. I will be running approx 900-1000rms, and it will be sealed. I want approx 0.35-0.4 cu ft per sub, so box will be around 0.8 cu ft.

Question on that, would it be better to leave the box open, or divide each sub space?

Anyway, if anyone can help me out with a design, that would be great. I am gonna play on paint a little to give an idea of how the box will initially be designed. Thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 759
If you left it open it would give you a tad bit more cuft

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 236
I'm confused on what your saying exactly. If your saying I should go ported over sealed, the reason I choose sealed is because I don't listen to rap, etc. with uber-low bass, as I mostly listen to rock, metal, and alternative music. Subs are recommended 0.25-0.5 cu ft, and if I stick to lower end, I figure I would have better response since there is no uber-low hz tones that need more air to move. Hope that was understandable, haha. But here is the sketch that I just drew [in a matter of 10 minutes on paint, might I add] of how the box should be shaped and the approx. measurements [will be remeasured before building]. Im not entirely sure how tall the box will be, thus why that measurement isn't on there. I have a feeling that the measurements I have written up already will be more than the 0.7-0.9 cu ft total that I am looking for.

Upload

I am also considering moving each sub farther out and mounting the amp in the middle, or even mount the amp on the left side on top where the subs are. If anyone needs any clarification on what I am saying, please let me know.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1662
"If you left it open it would give you a tad bit more cuft"

Only thing Ducka said was you would get more internal volume if it was common chamber..

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
thanks mark, I wouldnt recommend mounting the amp on the box... mount it somewhere where it wont get shaken up. Idk how to design it, because I dont have experience with that vehicle, but i can give you the advice: Measure twice, cut once.

You could get some cardboard and mess with that so you can get the right fit.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 237
Alright, I won't mount the amp to the box. But if you don't mind, could you elaborate on the leaving it open and common chamber? I'm still confused on what that means, ha.

But that's for the cardboard idea, never thought of that.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2464

quote:

But if you don't mind, could you elaborate on the leaving it open and common chamber?

Having a common chamber box is where the subs share airspace. Having a seperate chamber box is where the sub space is divided (like you said in your first post)

If you have the room, I would reccomend having seperate chambers.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 238
Ah, thats what I thought and now I understand. But I originally planned to have separate chambers. Each would be around 0.4 cu ft.

But any thoughts on the design? Like as far as holding up, or would it be better to square off the bottom and basically set little feet on it so it balances on the hump in the trunk of my car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2465
I think it would be easier to build a false floor in the back that covers the hump. Then you can L bracket your box down to the floor.
This would also give you a place to mount your amp. Just screw it down to the false floor in a good location.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 239
Good idea. Which do you think would sound better, doing that with a flat bottom+false floor, or build it like my picture? I know a flat bottom would be more stable, would I get any noticable sound differences?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1680
another positive with seperate chambers... If you blow a sub or a channel on your amp, it would not effect the other sub(change enclosure volume, ect..).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2466

quote:

Good idea. Which do you think would sound better, doing that with a flat bottom+false floor, or build it like my picture? I know a flat bottom would be more stable, would I get any noticable sound differences?

In some vehicles, people have actually gotten a few tenths of a dB louder by using a false floor. Of course, there will be no difference to the ear for you at all. A false floor just has alot more advantages for you because if you ever change boxes, you do not have to build another "hump-box"

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 240
Well right now I am trying to get my measurements right, and the thing is I want it all the way across the trunk which is approx 32" long and the box would be 12" wide to allow for the sub to fit in the top part, and if I made it 8" tall, that's coming out to ~1.7cu ft which is quite a bit more than I want. take away a little for angles and such, thats ~1.6 which is still more. Im starting to think I might go ported, but I have no experience at all with ported boxes so I have no idea how to calculate that to be able to draw it. Nor do I have any idea what I would tune the box to [or how to tune a box for that matter] but I would guess 42-48hz since I listen to rock/metal. Suggestions?

I am also looking into the idea of using the false floor, trying to get some measurements done. Man...I really need to re-install autocadd again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 766
did you account for sub displacement?

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 241
nope...forgot all about that. =p

10 inch subs with approx. 6 inch mounting depth, that's what...approx. 0.35 cu ft? if that's so then I will be needing 0.75cu ft size enclosure for each subs. thanks for saying that cause that changes a lot. Maybe it will work out pretty good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
im not sure they will displace that much... look it up either in the manual or online, because my 12" type r's only displace .071cuft each.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 242
Well it doesnt say on the website under specs, and I dont have these exact subs yet. I was doing math, which I did wrong haha. Volume of a cylinder is (pie times radius sq) * height. Now I know a sub isnt a perfect cylinder, but actually a cone...so if it has 11" at the biggest point, and 6" tall...that would be ~0.33. That sound more correct?

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 243
Ok, so I been tinkering with a new idea...and its a totally redesigned box. I feel like an indecisive girl. =/

Opinions on this?
Upload

It will cover the entire trunk, but will initially still give me a trunk, just not as deep as it used to be. I will have the top cover lay over the top, and have the Mitsubishi logo cut out of it and have a mesh grill behind that. There will be little pocket compartments on each side, basically for fun. The box will still be sealed...but the top part of each sub box compartment will be the big top panel piece that covers the entire trunk. Amp would mount on the REAL trunk floor, and is accessed by lowering the back seats.

If any more clarification is needed, LMK.

Silver Member

Post Number: 770
no, not really... I would assume that it is no larger than 0.07cuft.

Silver Member

Ky USA

Post Number: 244
hmm, maybe it is supposed to be 0.03 and im just doing my math wrong.

Silver Member

Post Number: 772
i would say somewhere between there and 0.07
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us