Fiberglass enclosure for componenets.

Silver Member
Username: Dan_white

Post Number: 108
Alright what task. Never had any experience 1st or 2nd hand of any kind in construction of fiberglass.

I have a boston acoustic comp set thats been collecting dust and I'm ready to install it, the right way.

Was wondering if anyone would be so kind to help me, from the beginning they're going in an F-150 STX.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 741
Nick V and other guys here are good with fiberglass stuff. I'm sure they'll be glad to help you out with pointers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Bumpin for nick and others.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4402
What year is your f-150. Or you can just take a picture of your door panel.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Its an 06.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Bump.

Fiberglass materials anyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_justin850

Justin smith, crestview, Fl Okalossa

Post Number: 29
i want to do the a pillars in my car so i am iterested to, do you just build frames pull a sheet or something tight across it and staple it then ressin the shyt out of it or am i way off

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
lolol ay bro you stay in crestview?

i live in shoal river

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
not a very appealing topic, i know.

bump bump bumpin with a 15 and no components

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4407
First, take a look here

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=7108&highlight=f150

Now. From what I can see by looking at so many threads of people making door pods for these year f150's is that your not going to be able to get them sealed since. You mind as well keep it IB. I hope you know a thing or two about making speaker rings. Your going to want to make 2 speaker rings. The bottom rings inside diameter is the cutout diameter for the speaker, and the outside cutout is usually 1-1.5" more than the diameter for the speaker itself. The top ring needs a inside diameter cutout of the size of the speaker itself (make sure you measure the plastic ring/grill that comes with the speaker to see how much of a diameter you will need. The outside cutout of the top ring should be the same as the bottom. Make sure to get your rings smoothed on the outside edges to give it that clean look. If you don't have the tools, theres plenty of guys on that website above that will make you some for a small fee.

Once you have both rings, as you can see in this picture, mount them how ever you want. I would use a glue gun.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l404/UniqueAutoWorks/Ellis/100_0739.jpg

Next, sand down the edges of the plastic piece in the picture above so that you have a rough surface instead of a smooth surface. Wrap up the plastic pieces in w/e cloth you wish you use. Make sure that when it is wrapped, the cloth is touching the mdf speaker rings so that when you saturate the cloth, it attaches to the mdf rings. Make sure that when you saturate the cloth in this area, you will see the outline of the speaker ring, it should be darker in this area.

Let it dry, sand, apply fiberglass matt if needed, resin, dry, sand, and so on until you feel as if it is sturdy enough. Once your done with this process, use body filler, paint or wrap. Cut out the plastic piece in the back, not the whole thing, just enough so that the speaker can pop in.

Now what to buy and where to buy it.

uscomposites.com
Resin to use - B-440 Premium Polyester Layup Resin http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

Mixing cups
Sticks
Glue Gun
Body filler (evercoat)
Sand paper
MDF speaker rings
Some type of cloth to wrap up your pods, polyester/speaker grill cloth/ search that site for more recommendations.
Fiberglass mat - http://www.uscomposites.com/mat.html

I might of have missed something, I'm not sure since I haven't done this in awhile.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Thanks so much for that info. With this Im sure I can get started and probably finish.

But, problem sealing? I wouldnt want to go through all this trouble if you really recommend just going IB...

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5919
what is the QTS of the drivers your wanting to run IB?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 3009
Don't forget latex gloves.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Idk the qts but its the boston acoustics SL60 set.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
bump

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4409
Do you feel like cutting your door panels up? If not, then keep it IB. By looking at the layout of your door, theres not much you can do yourself unless you want to truly rip into it or take it to a professional. Do it like the way I posted above. Take some cardboard or a thin sheet of wood, and fill in the hole openings on your doors. Cover it up with sound deadener and that should cut out the amount of air space inside as well as reduce unwanted noise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
If im not mistaken your post above was the fiberglass procedure?

Anyway, thanks for the help and I think im ganna go with your suggestion and stay IB. Simple and will be an upgrade from my 5x7's for sure.

One question though..the woofers are rated at 80watts rms a peice and im only going to be able to give them 20 a piece for right now with an old alpine amp. Dont know why an amp would only put out 20 watts x2 rms...

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4419
"One question though..the woofers are rated at 80watts rms a peice and im only going to be able to give them 20 a piece for right now with an old alpine amp. Dont know why an amp would only put out 20 watts x2 rms..."

So whats the question? lol

If your question is, if its okay to run them on 20rms for right now? Theres no problem in that. But they won't get as loud as you would want them to, so keep it safe with the gain and adjust it right. You don't want to burn up your components. Fiberglass it, keep it IB and just fill in the hole openings on the metal door shell.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us